U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 05:40 AM

17,104 posts, read 4,653,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
How did he learn how to do all of this? Something does not measure up.

Somebody directed him to make smart and safe investing decisions and the guy was not at all trying to fly under the radar. He was running a multi continental investment business with flashy jewels and operating out of sort of unsafe regions of the world. Undoubtably high risk and lasting for many years before getting caught?

I also wonder what the helicopters were for.
A lot of this doesnt add up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 07:44 AM

16,386 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
A lot of this doesnt add up!
What doesn't add up? There are swindlers everyplace. I usually get one spam call a day. Those callers would love to do the same thing to me as your swindler did to the banks. My callers would not be calling me if they did not score occasionally. I guess they keep trying because there is always the chance that I will be senile in my old age or simply lose my marbles. Right now I simply don't answer or hang up as soon as they talk; but they keep trying and hoping.

Ponzi schemes have been around forever and that is exactly how this 'black magic' scheme started as. Some scam artist are better than others and some people are simply more gullible.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,213,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have noticed it is very easy to con someone but very hard to convince someone they got conned.

Yeah, my friend told me what a great deal he got when he traded in his old car for a new one.

I learned a long time ago to avoid the subject.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:58 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,187,809 times
Quote:
Yea, the cons have just gotten more clever and complicated today! Look at how scammers are trying to fool people over the phone today...point is, if they are doing this, I would bet they are also running 'higher stakes' cons as well, the chance of such a large pay day, would keep scammers working at it year after year.
And in the financial industry, the pay day for a successful scam can be many millions of dollars. Of course, the cost of getting caught can be years in prison. The scammers are resourceful and always trying to find ways to stay one step ahead of the regulators.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:51 PM

8,822 posts, read 2,453,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This one didn't mention the special meals flown into France daily for the entire gendarmerie in the jail where he was locked up. Clearly, he's used to bribery and manipulation as a way of life. It didn't work, when he tried it on US Customs officials.

Perhaps he should have tried black magic on the customs guy.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
And in the financial industry, the pay day for a successful scam can be many millions of dollars. Of course, the cost of getting caught can be years in prison. The scammers are resourceful and always trying to find ways to stay one step ahead of the regulators.
The thing is, I get that he is a con man. But if you look at the timeline he had this multi national business before he cheated the bank so there is more to this story than what has been told. Or is the multi national business also a lie like claiming to have black magic powers?

He was also apparently a elected official in Mali.

This would make an interesting movie, book or Netflix documentary.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 PM

16,386 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
It’s definitely an unexplained mystery.

I think he had a mentor helping him pull things off so smoothly. There is a piece of the puzzle that is missing.
One missing piece is the piece that every bank leaves out when they have been swindled or robbed; they do not like to disclose how much they lost. They want their customers to have faith in their establishment and services. Many times they have caught employees (tellers and management) steeling and they take care of their 'little problem' quietly.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One missing piece is the piece that every bank leaves out when they have been swindled or robbed; they do not like to disclose how much they lost. They want their customers to have faith in their establishment and services. Many times they have caught employees (tellers and management) steeling and they take care of their 'little problem' quietly.

Good point. Perhaps this guy understood that and took advantage of that fact. I had an inlaw who worked in a bank in California about 30 years ago. He said they got robbed all the time. Usually they just passed a note and got some money and ran. He said these robberies were never reported to the news.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 PM

17,104 posts, read 4,653,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Perhaps he should have tried black magic on the customs guy.
Heck, with the amount of drugs that come into this country on a CONSISTENT basis, and have been increasing for decades...customs guys are probably the easiest to con!! LOL

Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Heck, with the amount of drugs that come into this country on a CONSISTENT basis, and have been increasing for decades...customs guys are probably the easiest to con!! LOL

I used to live in El Paso, TX and stories about dirty customs people would occur from time to time. Sometimes they would get away with it for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal