U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 05:22 AM

16,384 posts, read 13,157,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Well, the sins of the aforementioned Deutsche Bank were certainly in the news:

https://www.dw.com/en/deutsche-banks...als/a-46510219

Here's a list of other bank fraud scandals - the French bank I worked for is in the list:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...est-banks.html

People who work in the financial industry are certainly aware of these frauds -- I suspect a lot of folks who aren't involved beyond putting money in their retirement accounts don't pay a lot of attention to such news.
We really have no local news. But then we have very little National news. I think some of the big cities still have some honest reporting? But don't forget that only five companies control 90% of the news today.

I just don't recall one local news story that said X dollars were stolen from a specific bank. Banks don't like to give exact details and that might be because they are hoping that the details might help catch the thieves.

Even in that second link you gave me only two were sentenced to time; unless they simply left that out? The one man lost 860 million and only served three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 11:01 AM

17,089 posts, read 4,647,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We really have no local news. But then we have very little National news. I think some of the big cities still have some honest reporting? But don't forget that only five companies control 90% of the news today.

I just don't recall one local news story that said X dollars were stolen from a specific bank. Banks don't like to give exact details and that might be because they are hoping that the details might help catch the thieves.

Even in that second link you gave me only two were sentenced to time; unless they simply left that out? The one man lost 860 million and only served three years.
They also do this because they do not want to let people know, how much money thieves are getting when they do these hold ups, (because that may give too many people the idea to attempt a similar hold up).

A detective once told me, if certain segments of the public, knew bank robbers were averaging a few grand by holding up a bank...they would have bank robberies left and right to deal with!

Old 06-20-2020, 12:17 PM

16,384 posts, read 13,157,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They also do this because they do not want to let people know, how much money thieves are getting when they do these hold ups, (because that may give too many people the idea to attempt a similar hold up).

A detective once told me, if certain segments of the public, knew bank robbers were averaging a few grand by holding up a bank...they would have bank robberies left and right to deal with!
We also have a hands off policy towards the robbers. Nobody wants an armed confrontation inside our banks. I believe that they simply want them to hand over the money and let our police get them after they leave. It is only on a rare occasion that you hear of a shootout at a bank and that is probably just by accident.

Whatever happened to the exploding dye bundles of money? Maybe they moved away from those with some form of imbedded RFID strip to help apprehend them after they leave? Supposedly 'active', battery powered chips can be detected several hundred meters away. But I have no idea how small they can make those devices today?

Old 06-20-2020, 12:48 PM

5,241 posts, read 4,186,712 times
Quote:
Societe Generale - sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to pay $7 billion dollars U.S.

Barings Bank - served three years in prison.

Allfirst - sentenced to seven and a half years in prison.

Daiwa Bank - sentenced to four years in prison and fined $2.6 million.

BCCI - sentenced to fourteen years in prison and ordered to pay 2.94 million pounds from his personal assets.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:23 PM

12,821 posts, read 21,491,166 times
Quote:
We also have a hands off policy towards the robbers. Nobody wants an armed confrontation inside our banks. I believe that they simply want them to hand over the money and let our police get them after they leave. It is only on a rare occasion that you hear of a shootout at a bank and that is probably just by accident.

Whatever happened to the exploding dye bundles of money? Maybe they moved away from those with some form of imbedded RFID strip to help apprehend them after they leave? Supposedly 'active', battery powered chips can be detected several hundred meters away. But I have no idea how small they can make those devices today?
The last time I was tangentially involved in a bank robbery, I asked the teller who had it happen to what about the dye pack. Apparently they all know about it and they tell you specifically do not give me the dye pack. And when they say that, you do not give them the dye pack.

The instructions were when I was in banking and I assume the instructions are still the same today. You do exactly what they tell you to do, exactly how they tell you to do it. It’s just money, it’s insured.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:00 PM

221 posts, read 110,059 times
funny you should post this......I recently watched an old interview of Jerry Lewis and it struck me that he was so much like that character Buddy Love. sure enough at the end of the interview, the interviewer asked how much are you like Buddy Love and how much like Jerry. he said, well I was the one who wrote that screenplay, so a lot. his kids recollections really shed light on his split personality......when they heard his car coming into the driveway, they all ran and hid.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:10 PM

62 posts, read 2,627 times
Jerry Lewis was quite the guy!!!!!

I used to watch alot of stuff by him...... Not many could come close!

Dan

Old 06-20-2020, 09:01 PM

8,808 posts, read 2,449,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. If he had all those legit businesses, an empire, according to the NY Times article, how could he be poor now?

He is a con man. He may be poor or he wants people to think is his poor.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:07 PM

8,808 posts, read 2,449,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
I agree. This story is fully worthy of being its own 1 hour movie or special documentary.

Look how the guy abruptly ended the story in a way, by stating he is poor now. Poor forever? After all of those escapades? Does a highly successful con man just stop conning like that?

What happened to his investing business with the gold, the silver, the diamonds and Ruby’s?

That is a question worth exploring. Perhaps his assets are hidden and its easy to tell a reporter that you are poor. But he is a con man so perhaps this is part of his con.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:31 PM

17,089 posts, read 4,647,974 times
Quote:

I cannot remember the last 'shoot out' involved with a bank robbery that I heard about, or the use of dye packs...Im assuming they use something else today, like a GPS locator.

We had a rash of bank robberies last year, and it was the same guy at each one, he didnt try real hard on a disguise, just a pair of sunglasses, he robbed around 6 or 7 banks before they finally caught him, however it took awhile for police to catch him after his first bank, so maybe they are not using any locating device?

The bad thing for police in that case, even with the sunglasses on, the guy looked so incredibly average, he was average height, weight, in his early 30s, he looked like most other guys in public. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal