Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times

Advertisements

This is a really strange story, the claim is he can double any amount of money somehow using black magic...but the details of his life and antics, appear to support that claim.

I read the entire story, but I still left wondering how he fooled so many US banks, and US politicians, etc, when he was only in the US for like 10 months total.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-42878021
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Thanks for tickling my synapses enough to find this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2dJnVqd6g

Old 06-16-2020, 05:45 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Just another scam artist. Nothing new about that.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
...I pointed out to him that Mohammed Ayoub had claimed at his trial that Sissoko had put him under a spell...
The spell he put people under was nothing more than appealing to the vanity and greed of his victims. Which is standard fare for scammers of all kinds: identify your victims' desires and weaknesses, and play on them.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:27 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The spell he put people under was nothing more than appealing to the vanity and greed of his victims. Which is standard fare for scammers of all kinds: identify your victims' desires and weaknesses, and play on them.
^THIS^ Some of the real life cons that have been exposed are simply baffling. I collect baseball cards and it is a very slimy hobby with a ton of con artists. I have noticed it is very easy to con someone but very hard to convince someone they got conned. I have even seen people that got conned stick up for the person who conned them.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
^THIS^ Some of the real life cons that have been exposed are simply baffling. I collect baseball cards and it is a very slimy hobby with a ton of con artists. I have noticed it is very easy to con someone but very hard to convince someone they got conned. I have even seen people that got conned stick up for the person who conned them.
The DSM-5 diagnosis that many of these guys likely qualify for is Antisocial Personality Disorder:

Quote:
... Individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder tend to be charismatic, attractive, and very good at obtaining sympathy from others; for example, describing themselves as the victim of injustice. Some studies suggest that the average intelligence of antisocials is higher than the norm. Antisocials possess a superficial charm, they can be thoughtful and cunning, and have an intuitive ability to rapidly observe and analyze others, determine their needs and preferences, and present it in a manner to facilitate manipulation and exploitation. They are able to harm and use other people in this manner, without remorse, guilt, shame or regret. It is widely stated that antisocials are without empathy, however this can be disputed, as sadistic antisocials will use empathy to experience their victim's suffering, and derive a fuller pleasure from it (Turvey, 1995).
(Source)

You'll find them running scams, and they compose a good percentage of the prison population. You'll also find them at high-level positions in corporations, and in government. They're the kind of people that run scams on senior citizens and drain their finances leaving them with nothing. Others are important to them only insofar as they can benefit from associating with them. They don't care who they hurt or destroy in the process of getting what they want.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
That is unusual how he was able to con so many banks. It’s like he knew more about banking than the bankers themselves. He was fooling a series of bankers in locations all around the entire world. That’s unusual, if you moved millions of dollars it would raise so many red flags. I doubt it could be done in the same way today.
My last full-time position when I retired in 2017 was in the IT department of a huge international bank. A lot of regulations have been put in place worldwide to detect and eliminate those sort of scams, so I agree it couldn't be done with bankers today. We had to be aware of U.S. as well as European regulations and the legal consequences of failing to enforce them, and went through yearly training on them to keep up up to date.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
True life story:

In the 1980's , My husband was a student at a University. We resided in a small community complex.
A gent lived down the way from us. One day my husband comes home and said he had a pleasant chat with the guy. That he was a Professor at the University.

Around the year mark, we are driving back to our apartment. The place is swarming with SWAT and FEDS.
Right near our place! The news reporters arrived and started interviewing folks. My Husband approached them, mystified about this upheaval. Turns out the "Gent" who Pretended to be ( and yes even taught courses) a professor was NOT. He was reported by a neighbor because he was bringing in chemicals to the complex. He swore they were for his class projects. When in reality he had been making Bombs! No pun intended yet the News Exploded with tidbits of truths. He had also feigned and worked as a professor for George Washington University! Five other Universities were found to have hired him for Professor in Science thru out his adult years. He had zero degrees in science. He was self learned and had done 4 years in military. That was it! .....who in heavens name hires a person without checking validity of degree.

If that Gent can fool Five universities and jeopardize the degrees of the former students who took his courses.....then I stopped thinking it was mysterious, and started to understand the lack of due diligence by some of these so called "regulated" places.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
My last full-time position when I retired in 2017 was in the IT department of a huge international bank. A lot of regulations have been put in place worldwide to detect and eliminate those sort of scams, so I agree it couldn't be done with bankers today. We had to be aware of U.S. as well as European regulations and the legal consequences of failing to enforce them, and went through yearly training on them to keep up up to date.
Yea, the cons have just gotten more clever and complicated today! Look at how scammers are trying to fool people over the phone today...point is, if they are doing this, I would bet they are also running 'higher stakes' cons as well, the chance of such a large pay day, would keep scammers working at it year after year.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
That is unusual how he was able to con so many banks. It’s like he knew more about banking than the bankers themselves. He was fooling a series of bankers in locations all around the entire world. That’s unusual, if you moved millions of dollars it would raise so many red flags. I doubt it could be done in the same way today.
Yes and another thing is how FAST he supposedly conned all these banks...He was only in the US for 10 months, but that was enough time to con Citibank and others? I doubt that very much.

Maybe he did find some way to double his money using 'black magik', Djinn and all that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal