U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 AM

3,754 posts, read 2,818,642 times

Advertisements

Dogman did it. Now its on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM

12,830 posts, read 21,503,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have been using 'Edge'; but I will have to switch to Chrome or Firefox. The 'news' (if you can call it that anymore) drives me especially nuts. They are mixing and matching news with advertisements. To me it looks like an organized attempt to get rid of news programs altogether (possibly a good conspiracy thread). They will have one ad, one or two legitimate stories, then another few ads and then more 'real' stories mixed in. It is very easy to click on an ad by mistake.

And, yes, those grey areas also drive me nuts. How am I going to find good skeptic replies for all the posters on this forum?

One other thing that is driving me nuts about the news, is that when you hit on a link to a trailer for a movie or TV program, they play an ad for something you are not interested in watching. Give us a break! The 'trailer' is an ad and why should they even think to run another ad in the ad!

The whole thing is getting ridiculous and I imagine it will not be too long until many of them go out of business. They no longer give us the 'product' that we visit them for.
Well, fish, when we were young, the news on television was not considered to be a money maker. It wasn’t how they drove revenue. I think it was in the 80s when they decided to merge the news with the entertainment division. Which made news a money maker.

Now that the news is on our devices there is all sorts of ways to make the news become profitable, because ads are all over the Internet. I used to read a blogger and ads were 75% of his content.If I recall correctly, when I started reading him it wasn’t that bad. When it got to the point where I read two sentences and then get an ad that I’d have to scroll through and then another two sentences and then another ad I basically sent him a message saying you know I understand you have to make money but content still is King, you’ve lost another loyal reader.

Maybe it wouldn’t of been so bad if I wasn’t a fast reader.

And it’s different if the ads are highly targeted to what the subject matter is. There’s an embroidery site I visit often and all of the ads are placed on the sides to not ruin the content of the article. And they’re all about embroidery. And I can dream about spending $10,000 to go to England and travel with a group of women from castle to castle to do the tour and get an inside look and an up close view of old English embroideries — you can look at the stitching up close. I might do that someday.

And a number of sites I’ve gone to are very clear about if there is a clickable link that takes you to Amazon and you purchase it from that link on Amazon they get a little bit of money from that. There’s a word for that I can’t member what it is.

I majored in advertising. I am not against ads, and I am certainly not against making money, but I think we can’t do things halfway in this country. In a 180° cycle, we can’t be at 90 where we have enough ads for them to generate money we have to be at 180 full on ad after ad or, we have to be at zero where we don’t have any ads and nobody makes any money. Why is it that we can never ever find a middle ground?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:36 AM

18,877 posts, read 57,459,992 times
"Why is it that we can never ever find a middle ground?"

There really is no unexplained mystery there: Greed and stupidity, which are part of the American way.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:43 AM

1,147 posts, read 229,262 times
Ghostery works, its available for the major browsers and pretty simple to set up (use the custom installation and be aware of what boxes are checked and unchecked.) Ublock should work too. It can be little more work to set up.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:34 PM

16,405 posts, read 13,178,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well, fish, when we were young, the news on television was not considered to be a money maker. It wasn’t how they drove revenue. I think it was in the 80s when they decided to merge the news with the entertainment division. Which made news a money maker.

Now that the news is on our devices there is all sorts of ways to make the news become profitable, because ads are all over the Internet. I used to read a blogger and ads were 75% of his content.If I recall correctly, when I started reading him it wasn’t that bad. When it got to the point where I read two sentences and then get an ad that I’d have to scroll through and then another two sentences and then another ad I basically sent him a message saying you know I understand you have to make money but content still is King, you’ve lost another loyal reader.

Maybe it wouldn’t of been so bad if I wasn’t a fast reader.

And it’s different if the ads are highly targeted to what the subject matter is. There’s an embroidery site I visit often and all of the ads are placed on the sides to not ruin the content of the article. And they’re all about embroidery. And I can dream about spending $10,000 to go to England and travel with a group of women from castle to castle to do the tour and get an inside look and an up close view of old English embroideries — you can look at the stitching up close. I might do that someday.

And a number of sites I’ve gone to are very clear about if there is a clickable link that takes you to Amazon and you purchase it from that link on Amazon they get a little bit of money from that. There’s a word for that I can’t member what it is.

I majored in advertising. I am not against ads, and I am certainly not against making money, but I think we can’t do things halfway in this country. In a 180° cycle, we can’t be at 90 where we have enough ads for them to generate money we have to be at 180 full on ad after ad or, we have to be at zero where we don’t have any ads and nobody makes any money. Why is it that we can never ever find a middle ground?
I just used Firefox to see some of my local news network sites. It is totally different than using Edge or IE. It does a lot better job of blocking all of the worthless adds. One other thing that drives me nuts is The Weather Channel's news videos. They are great at playing the same ad over and over again. I don't currently own a dog and I don't have to worry about 'heart worms'! It is a cute commercial; but even cute can get boring real fast.

I doubt that we will fix the system. But it would be refreshing to see some restrictions placed on all of these ads. What the advertisers are doing now hurts all advertisers and it hurts the news agencies.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:02 PM

12,830 posts, read 21,503,154 times
Quote:
I just used Firefox to see some of my local news network sites. It is totally different than using Edge or IE. It does a lot better job of blocking all of the worthless adds. One other thing that drives me nuts is The Weather Channel's news videos. They are great at playing the same ad over and over again. I don't currently own a dog and I don't have to worry about 'heart worms'! It is a cute commercial; but even cute can get boring real fast.

I doubt that we will fix the system. But it would be refreshing to see some restrictions placed on all of these ads. What the advertisers are doing now hurts all advertisers and it hurts the news agencies.
The thing with those ads in the new sites when you’re trying to watch something that was on the news, I find that the quality is terrible it’ll go for a second then stop then go for another second then stop and if you happen to miss the skip you have to watch the whole ad which can take up to three minutes because it keeps stopping and starting and stopping and starting I’ve stopped doing that. I have given up on CNN because I don’t want to watch a video, I want to read the article. In all honesty I read way faster than people can speak. So something that can be talked about in a minute. I can read the transcript in about 20 seconds.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The thing with those ads in the new sites when you’re trying to watch something that was on the news, I find that the quality is terrible it’ll go for a second then stop then go for another second then stop and if you happen to miss the skip you have to watch the whole ad which can take up to three minutes because it keeps stopping and starting and stopping and starting I’ve stopped doing that. I have given up on CNN because I don’t want to watch a video, I want to read the article. In all honesty I read way faster than people can speak. So something that can be talked about in a minute. I can read the transcript in about 20 seconds.
OK; so is this just unfettered commercialization of the news or is it a conspiracy to destroy any real news that we might get? We tend to like conspiracies on the Unexplained and Paranormal so did aliens, Big Foot, Dogman, Nessie, or ghost do this to our favorite news programs?

I'm not that fast a reader; but I also prefer to read the articles instead of listening. Sometimes the videos are not giving us the information that we wanted to see when we clicked on their link. It's all very frustrating.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:38 AM

205 posts, read 91,768 times
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Brave browser here. It's an excellent browser. I couldn't stand Firefox any longer and Chrome either. Brave has an "automatic blocker" built in and in 99.999% of cases it works and blocks ads even when they have the pop-up asking you to unblock them on other browsers. Brave seems to slither right past it. However, you can also control the adblocking as well. Good Luck

Old 06-19-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Brave browser here. It's an excellent browser. I couldn't stand Firefox any longer and Chrome either. Brave has an "automatic blocker" built in and in 99.999% of cases it works and blocks ads even when they have the pop-up asking you to unblock them on other browsers. Brave seems to slither right past it. However, you can also control the adblocking as well. Good Luck
I just set it up with Duck Duck Go; which I have used before. The old browsers are also getting tired and want to lead you instead of you leading them. Thank you and I will let you know more after I give this new browser a better workout.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 AM

205 posts, read 91,768 times
Quote:
I just set it up with Duck Duck Go; which I have used before. The old browsers are also getting tired and want to lead you instead of you leading them. Thank you and I will let you know more after I give this new browser a better workout.
OK...great. I found Brave to be superb! I hope it works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal