Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 04:51 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times

Advertisements

Is it normal to get adds when clicking on threaDS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Is it normal to get adds when clicking on threaDS?
No. They’re working on a fix, but I got rid of them with AdBlock Pro app.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:23 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No. They’re working on a fix, but I got rid of them with AdBlock Pro app.
Tallysmom, what browser do you use? I use Chrome on my ipad, I don’t see adblock pro for that combination.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
I've not seen any ads, but I also use AdBlock (the free version, not the Pro version). Maybe that's why.

One good thing about AdBlock is that you can whitelist sites that you really want to visit in spite of their ads. If you just have a passing interest in a site that blocks you out when you try to open them, just click them off. I understand the need for advertisements, but many of them are just overwhelming and dominate the site and your computer.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Tallysmom, what browser do you use? I use Chrome on my ipad, I don’t see adblock pro for that combination.
I use my iPhone for everything, Safari is their browser. AdBlock pro was a free app. Although I do have a small HP laptop, I truly only use it for my genealogy research/Family Tree stuff. And it has Word on it for when my friend sends me a manuscript I need to read and comment.

I know Chrome is its own operating system, and therefore probably has its own programs. I would Google chrome book ad blocking software and see what you come up with.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:20 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
My advice: switch to Firefox Focus for browsing on your iPad. It has ad blocking baked into the software. It's designed as a privacy browser. I personally avoid Google products whenever I can for security and privacy reasons.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
I use my iPhone for everything, Safari is their browser. AdBlock pro was a free app. Although I do have a small HP laptop, I truly only use it for my genealogy research/Family Tree stuff. And it has Word on it for when my friend sends me a manuscript I need to read and comment.

I know Chrome is its own operating system, and therefore probably has its own programs. I would Google chrome book ad blocking software and see what you come up with.
We have allowed advertisers like Taboola to destroy what used to be the news. Plus many websites will not permit you to visit if you keep your AdBlock on. It gets harder everyday to avoid this mess that we allowed these companies to create. I do not understand why a company thinks that it can sell when all they create are ill feelings for their advertisements. If I see the word "Next" I immediately leave the site. No information is worth me waiting my time. Plus we can usually work around those websites by simply using Google.

What we do need is legislation to limit this activity. Which links on City Data is the OP complaining about? Is this a new trend?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have allowed advertisers like Taboola to destroy what used to be the news. Plus many websites will not permit you to visit if you keep your AdBlock on. It gets harder everyday to avoid this mess that we allowed these companies to create. I do not understand why a company thinks that it can sell when all they create are ill feelings for their advertisements. If I see the word "Next" I immediately leave the site. No information is worth me waiting my time. Plus we can usually work around those websites by simply using Google.

What we do need is legislation to limit this activity. Which links on City Data is the OP complaining about? Is this a new trend?
Not everyone is getting these ads. But the ones that are getting them who are complaining have a right to complain.

Essentially when you go to a post on a thread when you click on a link to either take you to reply or a different thread, you get a large ad that totally covers the screen. Most of them you could hit the X and close it, but as time went on with this I discovered that it wouldn’t do it for so many seconds so you could actually read the ad, which was basically a gray screen with a clickable title. If it took you 30 seconds to read six words you need to go back to school.

I complained about it, and somebody told me to get an ad blocker. There’s a lot of different kinds. And it really did take it away.

I really do agree about the news sites being infected with crap news at the bottom. As my sister likes to say “we are doomed”.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:46 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Not everyone is getting these ads. But the ones that are getting them who are complaining have a right to complain.

Essentially when you go to a post on a thread when you click on a link to either take you to reply or a different thread, you get a large ad that totally covers the screen. Most of them you could hit the X and close it, but as time went on with this I discovered that it wouldn’t do it for so many seconds so you could actually read the ad, which was basically a gray screen with a clickable title. If it took you 30 seconds to read six words you need to go back to school.

I complained about it, and somebody told me to get an ad blocker. There’s a lot of different kinds. And it really did take it away.

I really do agree about the news sites being infected with crap news at the bottom. As my sister likes to say “we are doomed”.
I have been using 'Edge'; but I will have to switch to Chrome or Firefox. The 'news' (if you can call it that anymore) drives me especially nuts. They are mixing and matching news with advertisements. To me it looks like an organized attempt to get rid of news programs altogether (possibly a good conspiracy thread). They will have one ad, one or two legitimate stories, then another few ads and then more 'real' stories mixed in. It is very easy to click on an ad by mistake.

And, yes, those grey areas also drive me nuts. How am I going to find good skeptic replies for all the posters on this forum?

One other thing that is driving me nuts about the news, is that when you hit on a link to a trailer for a movie or TV program, they play an ad for something you are not interested in watching. Give us a break! The 'trailer' is an ad and why should they even think to run another ad in the ad!

The whole thing is getting ridiculous and I imagine it will not be too long until many of them go out of business. They no longer give us the 'product' that we visit them for.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:

It's really bad on my android cell using chrome. I haven't looked for an ad blocker because I don't use it often to come here.

I get an ad at the top that makes it very hard to navigate from a thread into the section by scrolling up and trying to click the sections name like when in a thread in genealogy. It's always there blocking the main top navigation where it shows " City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal > Are we getting Ads now?" It covers that whole forum navigation.

I hit reply, huge ad with a small x in top right corner that I can barely click on some days because I have the Samsung Note 9 where the glass goes on the sides.

I use firefox on my computer, no issue.

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-18-2020 at 05:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal