U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM

5,399 posts, read 8,467,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Maybe a Puritan wasn't familiar with what a keg looks like, being that they were teetotalers.

The description said "swine", not "pig", so the similarity in sound and spelling to keg isn't there.
Actually, the Puritan's not only had taverns, but they also consumed alcoholic beverages. Even the children drank alcoholic beverages, albeit diluted.
Digital History.
https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/...watered%20down.

You're right, it said swine. I had mentioned the pig/keg notion because I think someone had mentioned "pig". I looked at the link about the text, and couldn't find it. Admittedly, I didn't read the entire thing. It's very lengthy. It would help to pinpoint where the part about flying swine is located in the text. Obviously, that's very a small part of the entire journal. Did you read the journal? Or just the quote in the thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 06:04 PM

5,260 posts, read 4,195,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Actually, the Puritan's not only had taverns, but they also consumed alcoholic beverages. Even the children drank alcoholic beverages, albeit diluted.
They also enjoyed sex -- as long as it was in marriage.

Quote:
Did you read the journal? Or just the quote in the thread?
I posted a link to the journal -- it's here:

https://ia802708.us.archive.org/14/i...mgoog_djvu.txt

Search for "swine" or scroll down to the following (mangled) heading for entry 294:

2»4 WDJTHROFS JOURNAL [1639

Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 PM

17,140 posts, read 4,676,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I still think the explanation hinges on the fact the observation was made from a rowboat in a swamp. Here are some stories of eerie glowing swamp gasses and why most suspect methane as the main culprit: https://navrangindia.blogspot.com/20...in-swamps.html. It is easy to picture how somebody back then mistook their sighting as ghost or flying pigs. Some people today look at clouds and make the same kind of observations.
'Swamp gas' does not dart back and forth at high speed in the sky though. LOL

Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM

6,373 posts, read 8,198,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The original text transcribed from his handwritten journal:
(Muddy River would later become Brookline, Mass.; a lighter by the way is a kind of flat bottomed barge)

Winthrop is describing something reported to him either by the witness (Everell) or by someone who had talked to the witness. We have no way of knowing how the details may have changed in the retelling. Maybe Everell said something like, "Well, its movements reminded me of a swine running". A perfect illustration of this is the way the next to last sentence changes in the description rstevens posts from Facebook:

There's no mention in the original text of them speculating the light had carried them upstream, or that they had no memory of rowing against the tide. He just said they were carried back against the tide.
I was born and raised in that area, and if Muddy river was where Brookline is presently, then Charlstown is a hell of a lot further away then the two miles quoted in Winthrop's diary.
I use to live in Brookline in my much younger days.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM

6,373 posts, read 8,198,066 times
Getting back to the ancient hieroglyphics in some areas of Africa, many are of images of space ships, and humanoid looking forms.
In South America, there are photos of ancient landing strips, which could only be attributed to ships from other galaxies landing on them, they preceded earth air travel by thousands of years.

Along this line of thought, I think I may have been ahead of my time as a youngster, because I never believed Adam and Eve were created here on earth, and had children,and their children had children.
If that were the case, we would all have he same dna.

I also believe when humans were brought to this planet we call earth, there were many races of people from the distant planet, that made the trip as well.
This is why the earth has so many different types of people.
We have black, Brown, Red, Yellow, and White.
Certainly these races of people could not all have originated from one supposed white man and woman as the Bible would have us believe.

I have always felt they were brought here from another planet, along with others, to colonize the earth.
Like Genesis states, God created Adam, then Eve, which may be so, but that didn't happen here on earth.
At least I have never believed it did.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

16,411 posts, read 13,181,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
In that article they also pointed out: "One earth scientist attributes the lights to piezoelectric, property in quartz, silicon, or arsenic that may also produce sparks of electricity during some geologic faulting and associated frictions of two moving blocks of rocks on opposite sides." That could explain fast moving lights.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

5,260 posts, read 4,195,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The darting back and forth and the gathering together parts immediately made me think of crown flashes when I read it. The rest of the description doesn't support that, however.

https://youtu.be/CPk0mKVnnCs

Old Today, 05:49 AM

16,411 posts, read 13,181,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The darting back and forth and the gathering together parts immediately made me think of crown flashes when I read it. The rest of the description doesn't support that, however.

https://youtu.be/CPk0mKVnnCs
I still think that we cannot think like somebody that lived that long ago. What they saw and how they described what they saw was in their terms and the thinking of that day.

As I have pointed out many times; our thinking changes quickly. The standing statues of heroes turned into villains overnight. A few years ago many would joke about the 'casting couch' and nobody would do anything to rectify the problem; that changed with Harvey.

That was an interesting video on crown flashes; I don't think I ever heard about them before. Just think of how somebody would describe those two or three hundred years ago. Possibly they would describe them as snakes dancing on the clouds? It is hard to say what they would say without our current knowledge and understanding of our world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal