Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:28 AM

144 posts, read 81,026 times

Advertisements

I like this topic and I watch a lot of videos and read a lot about UFOs, there are a lot of cases back in the time, also in very old paintings as someone mentioned and even in pyramids there are strange hieroglyphics. The UFOs are real and this is a fact, but there are also many fakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 10:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgLaw View Post
I like this topic and I watch a lot of videos and read a lot about UFOs, there are a lot of cases back in the time, also in very old paintings as someone mentioned and even in pyramids there are strange hieroglyphics. The UFOs are real and this is a fact, but there are also many fakes.
Whatever they are...they have been here a very long time and do not appear to change over time, (technological or behavior wise).

Old 06-24-2020, 12:12 PM

440 posts, read 240,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
The Salem Witch Trials lasted from February 1692 and May 1693. That is close to the time of the pig flying UFO report.

I think any hallucinogens like on the grain are not going to produce full fledged group hallucinations like seeing pigs fly together on a boat because that’s not a hallmark of a true hallucination. I think the fungus on bread and grains is a non issue with investigating this report.

A true hallucination by an individual is different from a whole town or city of people acting hysterically.

Did you see my previous post with the earliest reference to a book that talks about pigs flying? I think that one is on target to be used as a piece of information as to why it was a flying pig shape, but I have not read the book.
Mass hallucinations are a well documented thing.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
So wheres this diary now?
You can read the passage in question here:

https://ia802708.us.archive.org/14/i...mgoog_djvu.txt

Old 06-24-2020, 01:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm skeptical about the "pig" description. A common item at the time to match the characteristics would be a cask or keg. Maybe someone originally described it as a "keg", but the person writing it down forgot and ended up writing it as "pig". A few pints of grog, mead, ale or beer at Ye Olde Tavern could cause a lapse in memory, especially those that found themselves a mile upstream. Another thought worth noting is that the word "hogshead" (hogges hede) refers to a unit of barrel size measurement of 63 gallons, a little larger than a barrel of oil. Although that word isn't mentioned, still, hog/pig.

Another thing to note is that the size of the object was said to be 3 cubic yards. In other words 9 feet x 9 feet x 9 feet.

The original text transcribed from his handwritten journal:
Quote:
In this year one James Everell, a sober, discreet man, and two others, saw a great light in the night at Muddy River. When it stood still, it flamed up, and was about three yards square; when it ran, it was contracted into the figure of a swine : it ran as swift as an arrow towards Charlton, and so up and down about two or three hours. They were come down in their lighter about a mile, and, when it was over, they found themselves carried quite back against the tide to the place they came from. Divers other credible persons saw the same light, after, about the same place.
(Muddy River would later become Brookline, Mass.; a lighter by the way is a kind of flat bottomed barge)

Winthrop is describing something reported to him either by the witness (Everell) or by someone who had talked to the witness. We have no way of knowing how the details may have changed in the retelling. Maybe Everell said something like, "Well, its movements reminded me of a swine running". A perfect illustration of this is the way the next to last sentence changes in the description rstevens posts from Facebook:

Quote:
The governor wrote that when the strange apparition finally faded away, the three Puritans in the boat were stunned to find themselves one mile upstream—as if the light had transported them there. The men had no memory of their rowing against the tide.
There's no mention in the original text of them speculating the light had carried them upstream, or that they had no memory of rowing against the tide. He just said they were carried back against the tide.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM

440 posts, read 240,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
The Salem Witch Trials lasted from February 1692 and May 1693. That is close to the time of the pig flying UFO report.

I think any hallucinogens like on the grain are not going to produce full fledged group hallucinations like seeing pigs fly together on a boat because that’s not a hallmark of a true hallucination. I think the fungus on bread and grains is a non issue with investigating this report.

A true hallucination by an individual is different from a whole town or city of people acting hysterically.

Did you see my previous post with the earliest reference to a book that talks about pigs flying? I think that one is on target to be used as a piece of information as to why it was a flying pig shape, but I have not read the book.
You explain how a hallucination is different from a whole town or city of people acting hysterically--- for no apparent reason. Then we can talk.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont know what a keg from that time looked like, but a keg of beer today is pretty close in appearance to a pigs body.

I hope no one is suggesting the craft took on the actual shape of a pig?
I gave a variety of terms. But wait a second. Are you seriously saying you have no idea what wooden kegs, barrels, casks, etc., looked like? During the days of the Puritans, literally all spirits were kept in wooden containers. In fact, the Puritans in the 1600s had taverns. In was in the early part of the last century that metal kegs took the spotlight. The volume of wooden kegs vary, but about 30 gallons or less. About the right size for a tavern of old. Still, the shape of wooden kegs, casks and barrels tell the tale. Wooden barrels are still used by wineries and distilleries. They're narrower at the top and bottom and wider in the middle.

Not sure how the modern metal beer keg resembles a pig's body more than a wooden keg in the past. Stainless steel metal kegs became a thing around 1950. Most modern kegs are more tubular in shape, including aluminum mini-kegs that you can buy in supermarkets. But sure, I've seen some kegs that are rather bulbous in the center - but not many. It's less costly to make them tubular, which are easier for stacking. There's not too many modern beer kegs with bulging centers that closely resemble a pig (swine). Besides, people in the 1600s wouldn't have had any idea about modern keg design. They would've related to things they were familiar with at that time period, and beer barrels were bulging in shape.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keg
https://flggcanyonaletrail.wordpress...f-beer-barrel/

Old 06-30-2020, 05:02 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well...in 1639, there shouldnt have been ANY aircraft flying in the skies!

The only exception would be 'balloons', but those were slow moving and stayed low to the ground, they could not dart around at high speed.
The hot-air balloon wasn't invented (for flying people) until the 1780s, 150 years after the "pig" sighting. I suspect the pig was just a figment of their imaginations, but of course, I have no way of knowing that.

I wonder if this is where we got the expression, "when pigs fly" ....

Old 06-30-2020, 05:19 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The hot-air balloon wasn't invented (for flying people) until the 1780s, 150 years after the "pig" sighting. I suspect the pig was just a figment of their imaginations, but of course, I have no way of knowing that.

I wonder if this is where we got the expression, "when pigs fly" ....
I still think the explanation hinges on the fact the observation was made from a rowboat in a swamp. Here are some stories of eerie glowing swamp gasses and why most suspect methane as the main culprit: https://navrangindia.blogspot.com/20...in-swamps.html. It is easy to picture how somebody back then mistook their sighting as ghost or flying pigs. Some people today look at clouds and make the same kind of observations.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:28 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm skeptical about the "pig" description. A common item at the time to match the characteristics would be a cask or keg. Maybe someone originally described it as a "keg", but the person writing it down forgot and ended up writing it as "pig". A few pints of grog, mead, ale or beer at Ye Olde Tavern could cause a lapse in memory, especially those that found themselves a mile upstream. Another thought worth noting is that the word "hogshead" (hogges hede) refers to a unit of barrel size measurement of 63 gallons, a little larger than a barrel of oil. Although that word isn't mentioned, still, hog/pig.

Another thing to note is that the size of the object was said to be 3 cubic yards. In other words 9 feet x 9 feet x 9 feet.
Maybe a Puritan wasn't familiar with what a keg looks like, being that they were teetotalers.

The description said "swine", not "pig", so the similarity in sound and spelling to keg isn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal