Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 01:03 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Saw this on Facebook, very interesting! (Any skeptics want to make the claim it was a 'secret experimental military aircraft'? LOL)

When they describe the shape as a looking like a 'swine', Im assuming it had a tubular or oval shape.

On March 1, 1639, John Winthrop opened his diary in which he recorded the trials and triumphs of his fellow Puritans as they made a new life in America. As the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony put pen to paper, he began to recount a most unusual event that had recently caused a stir among the English immigrants.

Winthrop wrote that earlier in the year James Everell, “a sober, discreet man,” and two others had been rowing a boat in the Muddy River, which flowed through swampland and emptied into a tidal basin in the Charles River, when they saw a great light in the night sky. “When it stood still, it flamed up, and was about three yards square,” the governor reported, “when it ran, it was contracted into the figure of a swine.”

Over the course of two to three hours, the boatmen said that the mysterious light “ran as swift as an arrow” darting back and forth between them and the village of Charlestown, a distance of approximately two miles. “Diverse other credible persons saw the same light, after, about the same place,” Winthrop added.

The governor wrote that when the strange apparition finally faded away, the three Puritans in the boat were stunned to find themselves one mile upstream—as if the light had transported them there. The men had no memory of their rowing against the tide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 04:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
There are paintings from hundreds of years ago showing UFOs in the sky.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There are paintings from hundreds of years ago showing UFOs in the sky.
Yes and whats so strange about it...their behavior is identical to UFOs reported TODAY!!

I cannot wrap my head around that...what could the possible explanation for such a thing be?

If they are truly visitors from some distant planet or galaxy, why hide in the shadows on earth for 100s of years, popping up in the sky at random just to mess with people? LOL

Even if they are a malevolent force...again, their behavior across such long periods of time, do not make any logical sense, they could very easily take control of our world, enslave us and be on the way to the next planet to do the same thing again.

The more I think about this topic, the less convinced I am, that we are anywhere remotely close to having a factual theory on what they are and/or their purpose/intent here.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
This is a strange description because it’s the only one I have heard with pig like flying objects. Very unusual.

The reports that have time lapses makes me think they somehow transported through an external time or space. It’s like they were removed from time for a while. It reminds me of the Philadelphia Experiment.

Time is not real. Once you leave earth, time means nothing.
Not really that strange...a full grown pig has a tubular, oval body shape.

If you think about it, a pigs body is sort of like a 'tic tac'.

They were likely abducted and studied during their missing time.

The PA experiment was a result of attempts to make naval ships invisible to the naked eye, think early cloaking attempts.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:18 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
So wheres this diary now?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:28 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Swamp gas: What Causes Will-o'-the-Wisps.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they are truly visitors from some distant planet or galaxy, why hide in the shadows on earth for 100s of years, popping up in the sky at random just to mess with people? LOL
"If" being the key word. That is certainly a possible explanation, but it remains unproven.

But IF it is true, who is to say they are the least bit interested in us? I accidentally step on anthills all the time while walking the dog. I rarely even notice, much less give it a second thought. Yet from the ants' point of view, I'm a force of annoyance and destruction. They cannot possibly begin to understand my motives.

You could make similar analogies of scuba divers and all the fish they accidentally interact with, or the bugs killed on your windshield, or the bacteria we wash away with soap, or the fleas we kill on our pets, or the squirrels we displace when we harvest trees.

IF these things are interstellar visitors, their reasons for visiting Earth may have absolutely nothing to do with us. They may barely even notice us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The more I think about this topic, the less convinced I am, that we are anywhere remotely close to having a factual theory on what they are and/or their purpose/intent here.
Yup. Agreed.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:46 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
Nice try fisheye, but the report mentions a pig in the sky. Sorry folks I wouldn’t say this report with the pig shape is false but it is a questionable description. How long did he wait before writing about the experience after it happened?

This makes me think it happened and then they drank it off for a few days, then they had to work for a few weeks, then he finally got around to writing about it. Seasons had passed.

The pig shaped object is what I think could be an incorrect descriptor.
And that is why we cannot always trust these old stories. Like many of our last names that are similar to others with differences. The old clerks would ride their horses around and ask the people they ran into their names. By the time they got back to the office they forgot how to spell those names. It was almost as bad as when our spell check gets it wrong!

I have said this before; we cannot really look through the eyes of our ancestors. Times change and our views change. What was acceptable just a short time ago; is not acceptable now. If you go back to 1639 and they did not know what a UFO was or even what swamp gas looked like. They knew what a pig was. They also thought they knew what spirts and ghost looked like. They had no internet to look up all of this stuff or did they have the means to even take a picture. They could draw or paint pictures; but that was all based on memory that might or might not have been accurate.

I am not saying that we should not investigate stories like these. But we always have to keep in mind that they might not be accurate descriptions of the events and things they saw.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
And that is why we cannot always trust these old stories. Like many of our last names that are similar to others with differences. The old clerks would ride their horses around and ask the people they ran into their names. By the time they got back to the office they forgot how to spell those names. It was almost as bad as when our spell check gets it wrong!

I have said this before; we cannot really look through the eyes of our ancestors. Times change and our views change. What was acceptable just a short time ago; is not acceptable now. If you go back to 1639 and they did not know what a UFO was or even what swamp gas looked like. They knew what a pig was. They also thought they knew what spirts and ghost looked like. They had no internet to look up all of this stuff or did they have the means to even take a picture. They could draw or paint pictures; but that was all based on memory that might or might not have been accurate.

I am not saying that we should not investigate stories like these. But we always have to keep in mind that they might not be accurate descriptions of the events and things they saw.
Well...in 1639, there shouldnt have been ANY aircraft flying in the skies!

The only exception would be 'balloons', but those were slow moving and stayed low to the ground, they could not dart around at high speed.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"If" being the key word. That is certainly a possible explanation, but it remains unproven.

But IF it is true, who is to say they are the least bit interested in us? I accidentally step on anthills all the time while walking the dog. I rarely even notice, much less give it a second thought. Yet from the ants' point of view, I'm a force of annoyance and destruction. They cannot possibly begin to understand my motives.

You could make similar analogies of scuba divers and all the fish they accidentally interact with, or the bugs killed on your windshield, or the bacteria we wash away with soap, or the fleas we kill on our pets, or the squirrels we displace when we harvest trees.

IF these things are interstellar visitors, their reasons for visiting Earth may have absolutely nothing to do with us. They may barely even notice us.

Yup. Agreed.
There are some strange aspects to these things though, Imo, the fact that their aircraft has never appeared to progress technologically, looking at descriptions of UFOs from the 1600s, they are nearly identical to UFOs today!! How can this be explained?

Looking at man made aircraft, there are HUGE differences between aircraft of 30 yrs ago, compared to today, even larger differences the further back you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal