Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Even if it was some secret military project, or they were trying to develop new technology...ya know, there is a reason why places like Area 51 are so heavily protected and guarded! They do not want people seeing what they are developing.

Im mostly talking about the Chicago flap here, but nearly all of the sightings were in urban, heavily populated areas, many sightings took place in parks too, with lots of people walking around, seems like it defeats the purpose of secrecy to use new technology in such an area, when they go to great lengths to keep it secret.

One other thing I will admit is strange with this, other than the handful of sightings in Point Pleasant and the Chicago flap, those are pretty much the only 'flying humanoid' incidents Ive heard of, its not like there are 100s of reports of these things from every state.
Taking place in parks seems suspicious. There was a thing with Clown sightings where I'm from back in the Eighties. People dressed as clowns creeping around parks and neighborhoods at night. Freaked a lot of people out.

I don't know what it is, and I'm not trying to discredit anyone's opinion on them - I just like to cross off all the rational explanations before honing in on the out-of-the-box explanations.

When I searched for Military in the area - Chicago was easy, but I had no idea or even suspicion that I would find the Coast Guard mooring boats near Point Pleasant.

Military turns out to be responsible for a lot of things, and they cant come out and say, "Oh yeah! That was us." because its a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 01:05 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Pretty sure Mothman is the winged creature on my roof from years ago. All hopes I had of it being a very large owl were dashed last week watching a raptor guy demonstrating owl flight with an actual live owl. Their wing flaps are silent. Not capable of popping my eardrums like what happened to me.

Mothman is a prehistoric bird that never went extinct. Wings are not feathered but are skin. Like a bat. Nesting in caves, hunting at night; that's why the eyes appear to glow, it's simple tapetum lucidum. Eye shine. Eyewitnesses from Texas in the 1970s described a long skinny beak that wasn't visible from all angles.

Mothman was/is the Thunderbird. Wings are huge & cup the air on the downside, causing a boom like thunder.

Look at the supposed Mothman silhouette, then look at a bat silhouette, then look at a pterodactyl silhouette. They are the same.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:40 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I have a friend from Point Pleasant. Told me once he has never seen the Mothman, except the statue, but has heard some pretty wild stories, and even heard some strange things in the woods at night. Now, his mom will tell you some scary crap that makes you think about it, but shes the first to admit legend has gotten "out of control".

Old 07-12-2020, 02:06 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
Mothman could be an extra-dimensional being (demon) that transcends space and time and pursues people in weird ways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhz8SoSLoBE

Old 07-12-2020, 04:36 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Owls dont have heads on necks (although they do have necks, it is under a bunch of feathers which makes it seems as if they dont.)
Illuminated by a flashlight from the front in the dark, this owl would look like it had a head directly on its shoulders. Or no head and eyes coming out of its shoulders.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/76...81ef33844b.jpg

Quote:
I have seen loads of large eagle owls and none of them are the size of a man or even a small man. This owl suggestion is really a stretch for me unless the mothman is a pygmy or height-challenged.
Or freaked out people at night (maybe having had a joint or two) see the owl in a tree and have few visual cues to estimate its actual height.

Quote:
However, as I have said before it just exposes how uneducated, stupid and dishonest people in the general population are considered to be by folks who believe science is king. I guess if you cannot cut it up or poke it with a stick, then it doesn't exist in reality eh? ... it wont be long before Occram's Razor gets an airing in this thread, which is what most pseudo-scientists use as their catch-all pat answer to the unexplained.
You always get around to insulting those you disagree with in this forum, Paul. The OP asked for our thoughts and I gave mine. If you don't like it -- too bad, so sad.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
The movie was so bad i couldnt finish it.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:41 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I have a friend from Point Pleasant. Told me once he has never seen the Mothman, except the statue, but has heard some pretty wild stories, and even heard some strange things in the woods at night. Now, his mom will tell you some scary crap that makes you think about it, but shes the first to admit legend has gotten "out of control".
Wikipedia has some information on these sightings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman. They talk about some of the hoaxes that sprang up after the first reports and they also talk about birds that might have been misidentified. It could have been a heron, crane, or owl? We have no evidence of any unknown creature.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:39 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily
You always get around to insulting those you disagree with in this forum, Paul. The OP asked for our thoughts and I gave mine. If you don't like it -- too bad, so sad.
I think we have both been on this forum for long enough to know that people are not always sweetness and light. You and I are both used to this kind of response so playing the insulting card is a manipulation attempt at best. If you cannot stand the heat, petal, then you better get out of the kitchen is the general understanding for these forums.

Having an opinion is fine, but at least suggest something which is somewhat realistic and modify your opinion in the light of new evidence or information. I was merely saying that in my knowledgable opinion of birds of prey, large owls are not large enough or bat-like enough to be mistaken for sizable Mothman humanoids. However, it might have been something that none of us on here are familiar with.

Most people have seen large birds and even owls and eagles in zoos. They have a known reference (feathers, beak, shape, etc). Birds do not move around in similar ways to bats and they have feathers not bat skin as has been described with Mothman. Flying foxes are the nearest creature with bat-like features that we know today, as far as I am aware they do not sit on tree branches or ground and are large but not the size of the thing being described here. They probably do not move around on two legs either but crawl about. As I said, the size of an eagle owl is probably 3 feet max sitting on a branch which is why I mentioned the size. I agreed with you about the neck of an owl which is hidden by feathers and so makes it look as if it does not have a neck.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
I’d ask him if he knew what happened to my favorite green sweater.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Pretty sure Mothman is the winged creature on my roof from years ago. All hopes I had of it being a very large owl were dashed last week watching a raptor guy demonstrating owl flight with an actual live owl. Their wing flaps are silent. Not capable of popping my eardrums like what happened to me.

Mothman is a prehistoric bird that never went extinct. Wings are not feathered but are skin. Like a bat. Nesting in caves, hunting at night; that's why the eyes appear to glow, it's simple tapetum lucidum. Eye shine. Eyewitnesses from Texas in the 1970s described a long skinny beak that wasn't visible from all angles.

Mothman was/is the Thunderbird. Wings are huge & cup the air on the downside, causing a boom like thunder.

Look at the supposed Mothman silhouette, then look at a bat silhouette, then look at a pterodactyl silhouette. They are the same.
What about the long beak? Lots of mothman sightings (and other flying humanoids), witness reports a human looking head, (no beak).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal