Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 05:16 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,901,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If I was a betting man I would put my money on the thylacine! I do believe that they will find one and have their proof they do exist. That article you posted talks about good sightings last year. I know that they placed many trail cameras trying to get some good photographic evidence. They do have some pictures that are considerably better than our blobsquatch pictures. Of course, to prove it they have to do better than just the pictures; but I think they are close.
Me, too (not a very good taxidermy job in the article image, IMHO). And you're talking about a critter the size of a doggo, not a man-sized bat or an 800 pound primate. Much easier for it to hide out in the bush. The cryptid I find the most interesting is the orang pendek of Sumatra - I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's something to the tales told of encounters with it. The countryside is wild, and it's a small upright primate (30-60 inches tall). The stories about encounters with it sound plausible. I sometimes wonder if it might represent a relict population of homo floresiensis ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 07:01 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,025,207 times
About the "winged thing" ... The "thing" I saw in 2006 was on my roof of the house we lived in located about 1 mile east of The Garden of The Gods, a park with 300 Million year old rock formations that for centuries was an annual meeting place for the nomadic plains Native American tribes. In 1878, a 125 million year old dinosaur skull was discovered there, determined not until 2008 as being from a new (previously unknown) dinosaur species, the Theiophytalia kerri.

Also in 2008, the park started having a problem with strange white streaks coming down the rocks. I was a chaperone for my youngest son's elementary school class field trip which was led by a ranger that year & I was shocked; I have lived here my whole life & have never seen the rocks this way. He stated the substance was determined to be ... bird poop. This had not been an issue before, he said; unprecedented.

But these are not just "rocks"; these formations are massive & the streaks & rivulets are huge. I used my son (now 6 foot 5 & 230 lbs) as a 'scale' in one picture & in the other there is a photographer down below, to show how huge these formations & streaks are. (both pics taken yesterday)

The only explanation the ranger had in 2008 is that "there must be some really large birds here that we haven't seen before, because the known bird populations wouldn't have been able to create that amount of excrement."

Old 07-17-2020, 08:22 PM

6,901 posts, read 6,801,718 times
Of course, I dont know, but as a guess, the white streaks on the rocks in the second picture look like possible acid rain which caused a reaction with the rock, but how it could be bird poop, I cannot imagine. There is so much of it you would need a whole flock of giant birds to do that much poop and they would all have to be perched on the edge of the cliff facing the other way with their tails this way. How likely is that?

The first picture - if this is indeed bird poop - looks as if they use this rock for target practice because there is no way they would be sitting on top and pooping over the edge to get that poop outline. The streak on the left above your son, I could imagine to be a large bird's poop but the white area over to the right, I cannot imagine how it could be bird poop.

I am afraid what the ranger said to you does not make sense to me, even if I imagine a huge bird exists.

Having said all that, there are whole islands made of bird guano(poop) built up over years and years, so I dont know what to think.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:37 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,060,240 times
Well, I was at an event once that had a 'Birds of Prey" exhibit. The largest bird was a golden eagle, and he stood about 2 ft tall, maybe more. He was big, and the handlers said he was 20 years old.

When they first came in to set up, they were taping a massive sheet of heavy plastic (like a 10x10 tarp, but clear plastic) on the wall and pulling out toward the aisle. Then they brought in what would be the perch.

Next they started bringing in birds - an owl was first, then a falcon, and in the center of the long perch was the golden eagle, then a red-tailed hawk and lastly a marsh hawk.

The eagle didn't sit long after being placed before he cut loose. I swear it seemed like a gallon or more pasty fluid came gushing out of that bird. It almost completely covered all the plastic. I couldn't believe it. God help you if one of them poops on you in the wild.

Anyway, you can imagine how much poo would come from a creature that was 6 or 7 feet tall. It seems plausible considering it would have been building up since 2008. However, I think a creature 6 or 7 feet tall would need a wingspan of something like 25 feet, and extremely massive muscles to become airborne and sustain flight.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Well, I was at an event once that had a 'Birds of Prey" exhibit. The largest bird was a golden eagle, and he stood about 2 ft tall, maybe more. He was big, and the handlers said he was 20 years old.

When they first came in to set up, they were taping a massive sheet of heavy plastic (like a 10x10 tarp, but clear plastic) on the wall and pulling out toward the aisle. Then they brought in what would be the perch.

Next they started bringing in birds - an owl was first, then a falcon, and in the center of the long perch was the golden eagle, then a red-tailed hawk and lastly a marsh hawk.

The eagle didn't sit long after being placed before he cut loose. I swear it seemed like a gallon or more pasty fluid came gushing out of that bird. It almost completely covered all the plastic. I couldn't believe it. God help you if one of them poops on you in the wild.

Anyway, you can imagine how much poo would come from a creature that was 6 or 7 feet tall. It seems plausible considering it would have been building up since 2008. However, I think a creature 6 or 7 feet tall would need a wingspan of something like 25 feet, and extremely massive muscles to become airborne and sustain flight.
The wingspan of what took off from my roof (the house a mile away from these rock formations) was almost as long as my neighbors house across the street that it flew over. It never flapped after it launched; it glided. The force of the air underneath it's wings knocked me down & made a percussive BOOM.

The substance on the rocks was tested, according to the ranger. It was bird excrement. It's also seasonal (migration?). When my kid gets off my laptop (lol) I can show you pictures from January & the streaks are not there. They appear from late spring to early winter. I saw "the bird" in October 2006, which also corresponded with the resurgence of the cattle mutilations here in southern Colorado.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Of course, I dont know, but as a guess, the white streaks on the rocks in the second picture look like possible acid rain which caused a reaction with the rock, but how it could be bird poop, I cannot imagine. There is so much of it you would need a whole flock of giant birds to do that much poop and they would all have to be perched on the edge of the cliff facing the other way with their tails this way. How likely is that?

The first picture - if this is indeed bird poop - looks as if they use this rock for target practice because there is no way they would be sitting on top and pooping over the edge to get that poop outline. The streak on the left above your son, I could imagine to be a large bird's poop but the white area over to the right, I cannot imagine how it could be bird poop.

I am afraid what the ranger said to you does not make sense to me, even if I imagine a huge bird exists.

Having said all that, there are whole islands made of bird guano(poop) built up over years and years, so I dont know what to think.
We had thunderstorms the day before I took these pictures. When it's been dry the streaks are defined & less whitewashed looking.

This park is well cared for due to a substantial foundation from the Margaret Hunt-Hill family (Texas oil family, her brother was Lamar Hunt, owner of the Kansas City Chiefs but she loved GOG & it is well funded through her will & daughters). They employ whole teams of biologist & geologists to maintain & restore the natural habitat. The substance was tested & confirmed as bird excrement.

Last edited by coschristi; 07-18-2020 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 06:00 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,986,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
We had thunderstorms the day before I took these pictures. When it's been dry the streaks are defined & less whitewashed looking.

This park is well cared for due to a substantial foundation from the Margaret Hunt-Hill family (Texas oil family, her brother was Lamar Hunt, owner of the Kansas City Chiefs but she loved GOG & it is well funded through her will & daughters). They employ whole teams of biologist & geologists to maintain & restore the natural habitat. The substance was tested & confirmed as bird excrement.
While it does not look that easy, they should now be able to test for the DNA of any bird or creature that is depositing fecal mater on the rocks. Here is a link to a kit available for the purification of stool samples for DNA testing:https://www.tiangen.com/asset/imsupl...1433136195.pdf. There should be no need to guess what bird is staining the rocks.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,437,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Is there a disaster theory connected to the Chicago sightings?

Mothman was seen as a warning for the Silver Bridge collapse. What other sightings have some disaster soon following?
Im not aware of any disaster that struck Chicago near this time period, maybe someone else does.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,901,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not aware of any disaster that struck Chicago near this time period, maybe someone else does.
Many saw the huge UFO that hovered over O'Hare Airport in 2010. The Mothman-like reports started in 2011, and peaked in 2017. Not saying there's a connection, but ... it's odd timing.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:54 PM

6,901 posts, read 6,801,718 times
Quote:
While it does not look that easy, they should now be able to test for the DNA of any bird or creature that is depositing fecal mater on the rocks. Here is a link to a kit available for the purification of stool samples for DNA testing:https://www.tiangen.com/asset/imsupl...1433136195.pdf. There should be no need to guess what bird is staining the rocks.
I totally agree that it is probably possible to determine what bird has shat all over that rock.

However, there is a stigma attached to any organisation which declares they have something unexplained happening in their area. If you are dependent on money from a foundation or government office to sustain your existence, then you do not want any bad publicity to be associated with your employees or the organisation. I can imagine that the DNA would not be tested just in case it turns out to be something strange like we are suggesting. If someone HAS done the tests and if it was not identified (because there is nothing in the DNA database which matches, similar to Bigfoot as 'unidentified') then that again is going to be strange and unusual.

I know some say that all publicity is "good" publicity, but government departments, financial people, etc do not have a sense of humour or have any idea how to market effectively. Of course I am generalising, but I can imagine the money men would not see this as a 'good' thing to release to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal