Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 02:32 PM

415 posts, read 371,015 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at a rental home that backs onto a cemetery (about half a football field away). This got me to thinking so I thought I would post in here and curious if anyone has lived near a cemetery and if anything weird happened. I think I have decided to look at other properties instead now, but curious to hear stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 02:41 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Maybe ... ?

I hesitate to say it was paranormal, but it was definitely weird.

I live in rural Maine, though I didn't grow up here, so sometimes I like to do a little exploring. Just take a road I've never been down. One morning a few years ago I realized I had a spare 10 minutes on my commute, so I took a side road and found myself at and old cemetery. It had a road through it in kind a of a figure 8, dividing the two main "lots" of the cemetery (one in each circle of the 8). I decided to drive through and browse at the gravestone ages.

While I was doing that, going maybe 5 mph through the grounds, I noticed a man walking his dog through the far lot. Nothing at all unusual about him. He wasn't translucent or floating or dragging chains or dressed in old timey clothing. Perfectly normal looking guy walking a perfectly normal looking dog.

I looked away for a second to check my direction on the road, and when I looked back, both the guy and his dog had totally disappeared. They had been in the middle of the graveyard. There were no large trees or bushes for them to climb or hide behind. There were no ginormous monuments. Just small gravestones. None big enough to hide behind. And I hadn't looked away long enough for them to sprint off into the woods. The only thing they could have possibly done would be to have leaped into an open grave, out of sight, and there were none.

I felt no particular sense of dread. No odd smells or change in temperature that all the TV ghost hunters claim. Just a guy and his dog disappeared right next to me.

So ... what was it? A ghost? A vision? A wrinkle in the space-time continuum? Superman and his dog?

I have no idea. I cannot explain it.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Ive spent a lot of time in cemetaries. For a short while, I was employed making and placing monuments. 99% of the time very peaceful. I would not be afraid to live near one.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:02 PM

415 posts, read 371,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maybe ... ?

I hesitate to say it was paranormal, but it was definitely weird.

I live in rural Maine, though I didn't grow up here, so sometimes I like to do a little exploring. Just take a road I've never been down. One morning a few years ago I realized I had a spare 10 minutes on my commute, so I took a side road and found myself at and old cemetery. It had a road through it in kind a of a figure 8, dividing the two main "lots" of the cemetery (one in each circle of the 8). I decided to drive through and browse at the gravestone ages.

While I was doing that, going maybe 5 mph through the grounds, I noticed a man walking his dog through the far lot. Nothing at all unusual about him. He wasn't translucent or floating or dragging chains or dressed in old timey clothing. Perfectly normal looking guy walking a perfectly normal looking dog.

I looked away for a second to check my direction on the road, and when I looked back, both the guy and his dog had totally disappeared. They had been in the middle of the graveyard. There were no large trees or bushes for them to climb or hide behind. There were no ginormous monuments. Just small gravestones. None big enough to hide behind. And I hadn't looked away long enough for them to sprint off into the woods. The only thing they could have possibly done would be to have leaped into an open grave, out of sight, and there were none.

I felt no particular sense of dread. No odd smells or change in temperature that all the TV ghost hunters claim. Just a guy and his dog disappeared right next to me.

So ... what was it? A ghost? A vision? A wrinkle in the space-time continuum? Superman and his dog?

I have no idea. I cannot explain it.
This is interesting. I read a similar experience elsewhere someone had, especially if there was nothing nearby they could have been behind.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:47 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
This is interesting. I read a similar experience elsewhere someone had, especially if there was nothing nearby they could have been behind.
Not cemetery related, but I've had the same thing happen with cars following me. They're there one second, and gone the next with no possible place to turn off.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:23 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Ilivednext to one out in the country. Ieven knew dsome of the guys that were buried there while i was ther. Nothing nada

Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Ive spent a lot of time in cemetaries. For a short while, I was employed making and placing monuments. 99% of the time very peaceful. I would not be afraid to live near one.
Do you want to hear of the 1% time?

Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Do you want to hear of the 1% time?
I do, it is why I come to this section of the forum, great stories.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:36 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
I grew up w one basically in my backyard.

Nothing happened. Nothing.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
No experiences regarding this for me, but I wouldn't want to live near a graveyard & see that view in any of my windows...paranormal or not. Or even if I couldn't see it, no, I wouldn't want to live that close to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal