Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 10:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,462,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree. They were doing their job, following orders. It's how things were done back then.

The story still got told. Everyone's account of what they looked like was the same. I believe it happened.

Too bad we don't know what happened to the one that was alive or what happened to the 3 dead ones.
That excuse has never been acceptable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 03:00 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,562,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I disagree, does that behavior sound like something a US military person should be doing...threatening to kill women and children if these other men speak up?

THOSE ARE COWARDS in my book, and they need to be publicly shamed for it, (even if its posthumously).
All heresay and great for forum chit-chat. It will never go anywhere.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:08 PM

5,627 posts, read 5,783,755 times
Quote:
That excuse has never been acceptable!
Your trying to apply todays standards of thinking to 40s and 50s thinking. It doesnt work like that. Right or wrong it happened, supposedly, and nothing is going to change that, including dragging these people through the mud to make you feel better. In fact Id call it borderline psychotic to continue think about it, and come up with excuses to do it.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Your trying to apply todays standards of thinking to 40s and 50s thinking. It doesnt work like that. Right or wrong it happened, supposedly, and nothing is going to change that, including dragging these people through the mud to make you feel better. In fact Id call it borderline psychotic to continue think about it, and come up with excuses to do it.
Look at whats happening in regards to racism in so many cities, people are tearing down and defacing statues of historical figures, (some of which are viewed as heroes or patriots), but since it was discovered they either said racist things or actively engaged in racism...people today are holding them accountable.

We all know racism was common in the past, but today its done a 180, younger people are holding historical figures to modern standards.

I cannot believe you all are sticking up for these scum bags and what they did...Now, if they were protecting national security or something similar like that, I could maybe understand making such threats, but this had to do with seeing a crashed space craft...does that really reach the level of needing to threaten a guys wife and children with being killed if they dare to tell anyone what they saw?

Another interesting aspect to this...if these men were threatened immediately after this incident (sounds like most of it took place later that evening)...how did the military or govt determine so quickly this needs to be kept secret, to the point of needing to threaten women and children? They must have known something about them already if they were instructing officers to make threats like that, in order to keep the guys silent? It was a crashed space ship....big deal...what made them feel the need to go to such extreme lengths to keep it secret?

Old 08-17-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Look at whats happening in regards to racism in so many cities, people are tearing down and defacing statues of historical figures, (some of which are viewed as heroes or patriots), but since it was discovered they either said racist things or actively engaged in racism...people today are holding them accountable.

We all know racism was common in the past, but today its done a 180, younger people are holding historical figures to modern standards.

I cannot believe you all are sticking up for these scum bags and what they did...Now, if they were protecting national security or something similar like that, I could maybe understand making such threats, but this had to do with seeing a crashed space craft...does that really reach the level of needing to threaten a guys wife and children with being killed if they dare to tell anyone what they saw?

Another interesting aspect to this...if these men were threatened immediately after this incident (sounds like most of it took place later that evening)...how did the military or govt determine so quickly this needs to be kept secret, to the point of needing to threaten women and children? They must have known something about them already if they were instructing officers to make threats like that, in order to keep the guys silent? It was a crashed space ship....big deal...what made them feel the need to go to such extreme lengths to keep it secret?
You just made my point for me, and thats where Ill leave that!

Im not defending "what they did". Im just stating that its useless to ruin the lifes of the people who would be affected by the "revenge" you want on someone youve never met, and I think its stupid to sit there and obsess over like you are doing. I think you should consult a doctor over you OCD. (No offence intended)

Old 08-17-2020, 06:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 33,310,621 times
Quote:

I don't agree with what people are doing with statues. They're trying to wipe out history. We've come a long way just in the 55 years that I've been alive. I worked in a male dominated field. My generation also stopped the shame of being a single parent.

The US would be a much different place if we didn't have slavery of both African American and Europeans. Because of it, we have a lot of important people doing away with it as well as women fighting for equality.

I'm not sticking up for what they did. They were doing their job. I doubt anyone was actually killed.

They were trying to prevent mass hysteria.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't agree with what people are doing with statues. They're trying to wipe out history. We've come a long way just in the 55 years that I've been alive. I worked in a male dominated field. My generation also stopped the shame of being a single parent.

The US would be a much different place if we didn't have slavery of both African American and Europeans. Because of it, we have a lot of important people doing away with it as well as women fighting for equality.

I'm not sticking up for what they did. They were doing their job. I doubt anyone was actually killed.

They were trying to prevent mass hysteria.
Im on the fence in regard to all the instances of mobs tearing down statues of historical figures, I dont agree that history should be 'white washed' or suppressed, but Im not sure thats what they are doing...they are tearing down statues because they do not believe we should be honoring these historical figures and what they did.

Its the same way with things of a sexual nature...just as recent as the 1970s and 80s, some things that were more or less common back then...they are viewed as felonies today! A good example...When I was a teenager in the 80s, I remember it was fairly common to see men slap women on the butts, the women didnt like it (some did though), but NO ONE ever called police over this, and I think if they had, the police would have laughed at them back then...if that happened today, the person is arrested and probably gets labelled a sex offender, its taken VERY seriously, and men are even held to modern standards for doing these things in the past.

Another example is adults who get involved with underage minors...here again, in the 80s, I saw plenty of this growing up, it wasnt really common, but it wasnt something of great concern either, it was the butt of jokes a lot of times...but today, if its discovered an adult engaged in that behavior back then, they are held to modern standards.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Im on the fence in regard to all the instances of mobs tearing down statues of historical figures, I dont agree that history should be 'white washed' or suppressed, but Im not sure thats what they are doing...they are tearing down statues because they do not believe we should be honoring these historical figures and what they did.

Its the same way with things of a sexual nature...just as recent as the 1970s and 80s, some things that were more or less common back then...they are viewed as felonies today! A good example...When I was a teenager in the 80s, I remember it was fairly common to see men slap women on the butts, the women didnt like it (some did though), but NO ONE ever called police over this, and I think if they had, the police would have laughed at them back then...if that happened today, the person is arrested and probably gets labelled a sex offender, its taken VERY seriously, and men are even held to modern standards for doing these things in the past.

Another example is adults who get involved with underage minors...here again, in the 80s, I saw plenty of this growing up, it wasnt really common, but it wasnt something of great concern either, it was the butt of jokes a lot of times...but today, if its discovered an adult engaged in that behavior back then, they are held to modern standards.
I had this big reply all typed out, but ya know, youre just going to keep arguing about it, so Im just going to accept the fact you dont understand....................

I would suggest that since this thread has gone way OT, it be closed.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 33,310,621 times
Quote:
I had this big reply all typed out, but ya know, youre just going to keep arguing about it, so Im just going to accept the fact you dont understand....................

That's a peeve of mine, closing them. There's plenty of on topic convo

Quote:

Sounds like we're the same age. I agree.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Well, we disagree on this topic...its that simple, neither or us is right or wrong, they are just opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal