Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 05:52 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

Dogman/Rougarou in swampland

This is from "Into the Unknown" S01E01 called the Rougarou, it is a Dogman-like being which lives in swamps of Louisianna. Its footprint is NOTHING like a human foot so it must be either a hoax or must be something other than Bigfoot. Maybe it is a crocodile/alligator footprint?. The plaster cast has 3 toes and a dew claw with webbing between the toes. This woman's father saw a Dogman-like thing in 1963 and got a plaster cast in 1974, said to be 7-10 feet tall and about 400lbs. See the plaster cast for yourself in a screenshot from the program. It looks almost too good to be true...but I have heard of other 3-toed footprints from other areas, so I dont know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 09:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
There are numerous 'Loup Garou/Ro Garou' sightings and encounters in the deep south, some of the encounters are very weird and bizarre. Many people believe this is associated with black magic.

Not sure what else they could be seeing in these areas, I do not know if there are black bears in the swamps or not...anyone?

Old 08-19-2020, 09:34 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
If it were 7 - 10 feet tall, Id tend to think it would have a bigger foot than an alligator or crocodile.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:54 AM

Some alligators are 10-12 feet long but I dont know how large their feet are, but I would suspect they look something like this. I dont know I need to look it up.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Some alligators are 10-12 feet long but I dont know how large their feet are, but I would suspect they look something like this. I dont know I need to look it up.
Why guess when you can use Google: https://winterberrywildlife.ouroneac...%20five%20toes.

According to that link: "Because alligators range in size from 9 inch long hatchlings to 15 foot long adults, there is an enormous range in track size. Front tracks measure up to about 5 inches long and 4 inches wide. Hind tracks measure up to about 8 inches long and 5 and 1/3 inches wide. Because alligators continue to grow throughout life, an occasional individual may exceed 15 feet in length and have even larger tracks."

Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 AM

From everything Ive seen, Dogmen 'footprints' are always canine in appearance, only much larger

Old 08-20-2020, 04:37 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
That looks nothing like an alligator footprint, which has five toes in the front and four toes on the back feet, a narrow heel (and not much of one), and no long claws on the foot:

Alligator missiissippiensis | Life Traces of the Georgia Coast

Here are drawings of front and hind foot 'gator tracks (croc tracks are similar):

https://www.bear-tracker.com/AlligatorTracksSigns.html

Last edited by Vasily; 08-20-2020 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-20-2020, 05:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That looks nothing like an alligator footprint, which has five toes in the front and four toes on the back feet, a narrow heel (and not much of one), and no long claws on the foot:

Alligator missiissippiensis | Life Traces of the Georgia Coast

Here are drawings of front and hind foot 'gator tracks (croc tracks are similar):

https://www.bear-tracker.com/AlligatorTracksSigns.html
The Op's looks like a hind foot of an alligator to me. There are some considerations when it comes to making these cast; like did it rain, did the rising tide affect the tracks, or how old were the tracks when the cast was made. Sometimes the hind feet will step in the footprint of the front foot. The ground can be very soft or very hard and that would affect the prints.

In the fourth picture down in your first link the OP's cast could have easily come from that alligator. We only see four of the five toes.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The Op's looks like a hind foot of an alligator to me. There are some considerations when it comes to making these cast; like did it rain, did the rising tide affect the tracks, or how old were the tracks when the cast was made. Sometimes the hind feet will step in the footprint of the front foot. The ground can be very soft or very hard and that would affect the prints.

In the fourth picture down in your first link the OP's cast could have easily come from that alligator. We only see four of the five toes.
The way I see it, people living in these areas...they know what alligator prints look like, they have lived here their whole lives, if they thought the print was strange enough to make a cast of it, they must have had a reason for doing that, if it was just a gator print, I think they would be able to recognize that, even if it was degraded to some degree.

Point is, they only make a cast of the print when they feel its something 'different'/mysterious, so to speak. That would be like if I went out hiking and saw a deers hoof print...what purpose would I have to make a cast of that? Deer are common, known animals, there is nothing strange or mysterious about a deers print to be found in the area.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The way I see it, people living in these areas...they know what alligator prints look like, they have lived here their whole lives, if they thought the print was strange enough to make a cast of it, they must have had a reason for doing that, if it was just a gator print, I think they would be able to recognize that, even if it was degraded to some degree.

Point is, they only make a cast of the print when they feel its something 'different'/mysterious, so to speak. That would be like if I went out hiking and saw a deers hoof print...what purpose would I have to make a cast of that? Deer are common, known animals, there is nothing strange or mysterious about a deers print to be found in the area.

Ahh, they want to have a bit of fun and trick the visitors to the area (TV crew). Gain fame and possibly fortune, maybe have their picture in the local paper, become a celebrity on TV for a few moments. Maybe they want to write a book to supplement their income so they hoaxed it all. People are like that you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal