Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,865,664 times

Advertisements

I think the Space Forum considers themselves too sensible and scientific to discuss something like this.

Would we be told of impending total or partial doom?
I dont think we would, and I also dont think many government officials would be told either. Mainly because they would tell their nearest and dearest and the word would soon get out to the general population, causing widespread panic buying and traffic jams. Apart from the fact that we probably dont know about these asteroid things early enough to do any good by telling people.

So, we only get told AFTER the event which MIGHT have happened. Big Deal. We are not dead, so we get to hear about it.

I cannot believe that no-one knew about this asteroid which passed really close to Earth last Sunday. However, it was not large enough to 'land' they say. Do you believe them?

Quote:
On Sunday, August 16 the asteroid came within 1,830 miles (2,950 kilometers) of hitting Earth.

In asteroid terms this is extremely close. In fact according to the Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF), a robotic survey camera located at Palomar Observatory near San Diego, this is the closest asteroid to Earth ever recorded. It’s a statement confirmed by a catalog compiled by Sormano Astronomical Observatory in Italy.

If you are wondering why you didn’t hear about this last week, it’s because no one knew about this asteroid until if after it flew past Earth. The Palomar Observatory in California first detected the space rock about six hours after the close call.

Newly-discovered asteroid ZTF0DxQ passed less than 1/4 Earth diameter yesterday, making it the closest-known flyby that didn't hit our planet
Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 05:43 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Depends. If an asteroid is a true "planet killer," they won't be able to hide it, because an asteroid of that size would be clearly visible. Everyone on Earth will be able to see it. Word would get out, one way or another. The reason no one knew about this latest flyby is because it was so small. Had it come into the atmosphere, it would have been little more than burning dust by the time it hit the ground.

If it was something like weaponized Ebola leaking from a lab somewhere, I suspect the government would do what it could to cover it up.

If it is giant monsters rising from the oceans to wreak havoc upon the lands ... again, I think the secret will be out.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
I dont believe for a second they would inform the public early on...they would wait until the very last moment.

If it had potential to be really destructive or even a planet killer, society would break down and turn to chaos upon hearing such an announcement! It would cause more problems than anyone needs at such a time.

I believe we have discussed this on here before, but there is actually a FEMA guideline about this topic, they make the determination whether 'news' should be withheld, altered, or suppressed. the major concern is public health and safety.

I think they used this at one point during the Covid 19 pandemic, everyone was talking about how bad it was on the global scale...but they would have us believe the DOW and NASDAQ were doing GREAT at the same time! Cmon, LOL people are not that gullible. I think they 'altered' headlines, to give people hope, (when none was due).

Old 08-20-2020, 09:49 PM

"Planet Killer" is relative as I am sure that if an asteroid ended up getting through our atmosphere it could land somewhere very inconvenient indeed. I mean you would only have to have it streak over a major city for the shock wave to flatten most of the buildings under it, so it depends on many factors such as angle of entry, and speed and generated energy and when it exploded or where it landed. I dont know how large or under what circumstances a meteor has to be to get through the atmosphere.

Graham Hancock suggests in his books that there was a meteor which triggered a huge flood because it or parts of it landed on the ice during the last Ice Age. These days the ice covers a fairly small area near the poles, but a meteor landing in those areas would still melt a whole load of ice and raise the sea level, which in turn, would cause problems in other parts of the world. Some places and some large cities are only a metre or two above sea level.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:07 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
The ULTIMATE dream for some preppers.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:38 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The ULTIMATE dream for some preppers.
The thing that bugs me about so many Doomsday Preppers or so-called "survivalists" is not that they believe in being prepared for the Great Collapse. It's that too many of them seem to be eager for the Great Collapse.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:47 PM

23 posts, read 8,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62
I dont believe for a second they would inform the public early on...they would wait until the very last moment.
Yes and I also dont believe "No one knew about it" -- They monitor space around this planet like a hawk!!

Dont believe what anyone tells you,its all lies to get you THINKING the way they want...

Old 08-23-2020, 04:28 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Every other day, there’s some article about a near Earth asteroid approaching us. At this point, it’s hardly newsworthy. That being said, the threat of an asteroid impact is very real, and we should prepare for the big one at some point.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:49 PM

The trouble with all this preparation - is that WHEN the large one hits us, it will affect everyone around the world in terms of blocking out the sunlight. Earth changes, volcano eruptions and meteors smashing into us will cause massive amounts of destruction which will likely last for years and affect crops, food supply, electronics, etc. Nuclear fallout will also be a problem as the nuclear power stations overheat and explode into the atmosphere and melt into the earth like Fukushima is still doing.

Anything which affects the food supply will cause shortages and people will go into survival mode, fighting amongst themselves for the last food, water, etc. Resources are going to run out. Guns are useless without ammo, batteries are useless after they have been used or cannot be charged(no sunlight), so basically after a year or so we will be placed back in time to the stone age or at least back 1000 years. Governments are no use then and no-one will know how to work the massive machines used by the utilities to generate our electricity, drill oil, process our sewage, etc.

Preppers think they can go off to the forests and hills and survive with their guns and hunting skills, but I do not think it will be that easy. No sunlight caused by a series of volcano eruptions or meteor land hits will cause most plant growth to slow or stop, freezing weather will become a big problem, and other humans will become predators. Radioactive fallout will kill off those left behind or change their DNA forever.

Moral of the story - Live for today.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullups View Post
Yes and I also dont believe "No one knew about it" -- They monitor space around this planet like a hawk!!

Dont believe what anyone tells you,its all lies to get you THINKING the way they want...
Oh yes, I agree!

The NRO (National Reconnaissance Organization) is said to have satellite imaging capability that is UNBELIEVABLE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal