Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 09:09 PM

445 posts, read 770,664 times

Advertisements

My dad, who is very rigid in his ways, and does not believe any "mumbo jumbo" about supernatural things, swears when he was a kid him and his dad had an old man that came out and found underground water on their property. this would have been in the 50s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
If you use a forked stick with tension on it, it can really feel strong, when the water feeling comes along. It feels as if the stick wants to twist out of your hands, going either up or down. I can see why people think it is the tool and not body muscles which are doing the actual dowsing.

Is it so unbelievable that the body is just one big receiver and the brain is the interpreter of those energy signals which are input to the body system by our senses?

Old 09-24-2020, 09:17 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
My dad, who is very rigid in his ways, and does not believe any "mumbo jumbo" about supernatural things, swears when he was a kid him and his dad had an old man that came out and found underground water on their property. this would have been in the 50s
Where was their property?

Old 09-24-2020, 11:03 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If you use a forked stick with tension on it, it can really feel strong, when the water feeling comes along. It feels as if the stick wants to twist out of your hands, going either up or down. I can see why people think it is the tool and not body muscles which are doing the actual dowsing.

Is it so unbelievable that the body is just one big receiver and the brain is the interpreter of those energy signals which are input to the body system by our senses?
hmmm...Are you talking about unseen sources of water, like underground wells or springs? or are you referring to above ground water?

Im wondering what would happen if you held a dowsing rod and walked towards a large creek or stream...if you diverted, would it draw you back in that direction, or..?

Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 PM

YOU are the one detecting NOT the stick, rod, pendulum, whatever. YOU decide what you want and your body finds the answer for you.

You say you have been outside a lot in your life, so try it and see how it feels. Obviously, it is your muscles and nothing to do with the tool you are using, but if you allow yourself to be flexible and not rigid like a board, you should at least feel something happening to the forked stick in your hands. You also need to have in mind what you re seeking too, since it is your mind which is doing the collecting of the information for you from 'out there'.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
YOU are the one detecting NOT the stick, rod, pendulum, whatever. YOU decide what you want and your body finds the answer for you.

You say you have been outside a lot in your life, so try it and see how it feels. Obviously, it is your muscles and nothing to do with the tool you are using, but if you allow yourself to be flexible and not rigid like a board, you should at least feel something happening to the forked stick in your hands. You also need to have in mind what you re seeking too, since it is your mind which is doing the collecting of the information for you from 'out there'.
All dowsers use rods. If what you said were true dowsers could rely on their arms.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:56 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
All dowsers use rods. If what you said were true dowsers could rely on their arms.
Arms are too big and clumsy. Maybe the purpose of the rod is to respond to subtle impulses from the hands, the rod/s being more delicate.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:49 AM

The rods are amplifiers of muscle impulses. Nothing more.

Like a lever has a short bit and a long bit which moves more, the same is for rods. The small movement of the wrists/knuckles/hands are amplified to make the rod move is a larger way.

I believe it is the mind/brain connection and picking up the woo signals from the thing you are looking for which makes the muscles move slightly. The brain is the receiver and interpreter of the woo energy. Dont ask me what woo energy is, because I dont know what it is that the mind is in touch with. Call it the Universal Consciousness if you like, but it transcends space and time whatever it is. Not scientific at all.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:01 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
when we built our house we needed a well. People in the area were drilling down hundreds of feet for water. We decided to try a dowser (neighbor offered his services, no charge unless he found water).
Neither DH nor I were believers. Dowser had rods similar to the video thumbnail above. Walked over a certain area and said "dig here." Both of us tried it. We both got the same reaction when we walked over the area. I was making sure to hold my hand very loosely around the rods so that they were "free-floating" if you will. I was not gripping them.
We were on the side of a hill where you wouldn't expect ground water. We hired a guy with an excavator to dig down the number of feet the dowser had said. Hole looked dry. Guy wanted to leave his equipment there over the weekend because he had another job in the area. Came back on Monday, looked in the hole, water was apparent. We told him to leave it open and soon there were several feet of water. We went ahead and put in well tiles and it was a great well for us for 20 years - best tasting water ever.
We not only paid the dowser his fee, we took him and his wife out to dinner. And that's my dowsing story.
I have a similar anecdote. My brother bought a property that had a "seasonal stream" that was just runoff water in the rainy season, and dried up in the spring until the next winter. Other than that, his property was bone dry. All the neighbors had to drill very deep wells, 200+ feet deep. My brother, who is a bit eccentric at times, hired a dowser and the dowser pointed him to a spot very near to the building site my brother planned to put his house on. It was up the hill, and nowhere near the low lying streambed. They went ahead and got the driller to give it a try, and lo and behold! He really did hit an underground stream at about 75 feet, not an aquifer. He said they could actually hear the water running in it before they put in the pump and capped it. There really was no aquifer at that shallow depth, and the dry season there lasted almost six months of the year without a drop of rain, so water there was very deep. Almost the only plants there were big oak trees which have very deep roots, or weedy grass which dries up in the spring and dies.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
The rods are amplifiers of muscle impulses. Nothing more.

Like a lever has a short bit and a long bit which moves more, the same is for rods. The small movement of the wrists/knuckles/hands are amplified to make the rod move is a larger way.

I believe it is the mind/brain connection and picking up the woo signals from the thing you are looking for which makes the muscles move slightly. The brain is the receiver and interpreter of the woo energy. Dont ask me what woo energy is, because I dont know what it is that the mind is in touch with. Call it the Universal Consciousness if you like, but it transcends space and time whatever it is. Not scientific at all.
All that we actually know is that dowsing works too often to attribute its successes solely to randomness. It's a paradox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal