Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:53 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,862,904 times

Advertisements

Supposedly no big reveal, no photos of paranormal events.

Source

Quote:
Over a six year period, military veteran and security officer Chris Bartel carried his camera everywhere as he patrolled the ranch. It is his photographs that he has donated to the University of Maryland Art Gallery and are being transformed into a curated collection.
Quote:
The collection, which has only now been announced, will at first need to be prepared and cataloged. And even then, according to Matla, the collection will mainly be used for research.
Matla explained there’s one thing you won’t see in this collection, and that’s definitive proof of paranormal or other unknown activity at the ranch. He said what you will see is the ranch through the eyes of a man who knows not only the recent activity documented at the ranch, but also its history.
Quote:
Matla said he hopes that in late January of 2021, the University of Maryland will be able to share some of the photographs in an exhibition and through an exhibition catalogue. The initial exhibition is titled ‘Christopher Bartel: The Skinwalker Ranch Portfolio, 2010-2016’
It will be a selection of 80 images that both Bartel and Matla have chosen to encapsulate the entire Skinwalker Ranch archive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 11:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
If they dont show anything, I wonder why he is bothering? Im assuming its just photographs of the landscape and surrounding canyon.

Sounds like he is trying to make some $$ off this place too!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:48 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they dont show anything, I wonder why he is bothering? Im assuming its just photographs of the landscape and surrounding canyon.

Sounds like he is trying to make some $$ off this place too!
Somebody that is selling just photographs of scenery is in it for the $$; but somebody that is selling stories of Big Foot is legitimately trying to help inform the public? Is there a little double standard here?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Somebody that is selling just photographs of scenery is in it for the $$; but somebody that is selling stories of Big Foot is legitimately trying to help inform the public? Is there a little double standard here?
Who is selling Bigfoot stories...There are 10s of 1000s posted online, for all to read, Dont have to pay a dime to read any of them.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Who is selling Bigfoot stories...There are 10s of 1000s posted online, for all to read, Dont have to pay a dime to read any of them.
But you do. Like those stupid 'Let me talk you to death' videos. We click on them and that is one more hit. It all adds up and increases the appeal of the video. People want to see what other people are watching. It doesn't make any difference if just a handful agree; it's like a mob mentality. Think of it like the new business that has its employees park in front so that people passing by will think the are busy.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,862,904 times
I think in the interview of the art curator, he says that most of them are for historical and research purposes. They are scenary mostly but some DID capture some anomalous things in the time he was there, nothing paranormal though. (ie no spaceships, bigfoot, skinwalkers, etc) Of course, we have to remember that this is a university too, one which has not delved into the paranormal before so is likely to be rather conservative in choosing the 80/1200 photographs which are going into the exhibition.

Think about it, we all have photographs of things which we think are interesting, but after we are gone, pretty much no-one will think they are interesting. OK, Skinwalker Ranch is more interesting than normal to a lot of people, simply because the government has spent money and time investigating the events which have gone on there.

This is the problem researchers have, most of the old photographs which could be used in books or historical records have gone along with the people who lived there. At least in olden times there were physical prints, now the thousands of images just get thrown away with the memory stick when grandad dies.

I am that grandad. I have many interesting photos I have saved from the internet, but they will all go when I go, particularly since my wife does not share my interest. The internet is as impermanent as we are. And...Fisheye please dont tell me that these can all be looked up again on the internet because often they are only up on a website for a while before the site closes.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Actually the way Google leads us it is very easy to lose websites and pictures today. It is not the Google we once loved and could research and find everything. It is too pc today.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:11 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,467,634 times
Quote:
Actually the way Google leads us it is very easy to lose websites and pictures today. It is not the Google we once loved and could research and find everything. It is too pc today.
That's for sure.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
But you do. Like those stupid 'Let me talk you to death' videos. We click on them and that is one more hit. It all adds up and increases the appeal of the video. People want to see what other people are watching. It doesn't make any difference if just a handful agree; it's like a mob mentality. Think of it like the new business that has its employees park in front so that people passing by will think the are busy.
I dont normally go looking for those kinds of videos, I stick to reading the reports in print or list form, kind of like how BFRO lists the sightings by state, you can click on a state and it brings up all the sightings for each county, and you can scroll thru reading them, most are a few paragraphs long.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I dont normally go looking for those kinds of videos, I stick to reading the reports in print or list form, kind of like how BFRO lists the sightings by state, you can click on a state and it brings up all the sightings for each county, and you can scroll thru reading them, most are a few paragraphs long.
And BFRO is only in business because of the hits it generates and the merchandise it sells. If nobody was paying the salaries of the writers and researchers how long do you think they would last? Big Foot is a money maker for many organizations and it lures tourist to little out-of-the-way towns all over America. Tourist pump dollars into the economies of those towns.

I am not saying that everybody gets rich off the promotion of Big Foot. Many have lost money; but they originally had big plans. I just feel that you overlook the money aspect of many of the reports. I know that you claim they have nothing to lose; but many of those reports have no way to even check out if they are real people. Keep in mind that 'yellow journalism' is still alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal