Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:58 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Maybe it was 3 or 4 squirrels pacing me, and they were just waiting for the right time to start throwing pine cones at me?
They were probably not pacing you. You simply kept moving under another squirrel. When you first move close to them they would stop their activity. As they felt it was safe they would start again. That might make you thing the first one was catching up to you?

Versatile: Yes; it is futile trying to get evidence out of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 02:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Why I hike with others/in groups. Not sure if you're close to an urban area, but here some of the homeless camp out in the "woods." I've always been surprised there aren't more abductions/murders on hiking trails, actually, because it would be so easy to just lie there in wait for some isolated hiker and drag him or her off the trail; he or she usually has a car parked nearby with a purse/wallet in it, too. You realize there are rumors of a Kentucky Bigfoot creature? All that said, why are you planning to stop hiking when it gets cold? That's the absolutely best time to hike.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:18 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why I hike with others/in groups. Not sure if you're close to an urban area, but here some of the homeless camp out in the "woods." I've always been surprised there aren't more abductions/murders on hiking trails, actually, because it would be so easy to just lie there in wait for some isolated hiker and drag him or her off the trail; he or she usually has a car parked nearby with a purse/wallet in it, too. You realize there are rumors of a Kentucky Bigfoot creature? All that said, why are you planning to stop hiking when it gets cold? That's the absolutely best time to hike.
Not only the homeless, you also have to worry about the marijuana growers and the meth labs crazies.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:14 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,869,734 times
I think we have to understand that any search and rescue attempt at finding someone who is lost will turn up any encampment of these crazies in the woods and then the police would be all over them. I do not think that crazies in the woods is a good explanation for missing persons.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think we have to understand that any search and rescue attempt at finding someone who is lost will turn up any encampment of these crazies in the woods and then the police would be all over them. I do not think that crazies in the woods is a good explanation for missing persons.
The homeless actually aren't noted for murdering passersby, but there has been more than one serial killer whose "hunting ground" is hiking trails. I'm just surprised there aren't more of them because it would be so easy.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:27 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I can guarantee the marijuana growers and the crazy meth cookers are a serious problem in many areas in the US.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I can guarantee the marijuana growers and the crazy meth cookers are a serious problem in many areas in the US.
On that note we had a very massive manhunt for a man that shot and killed one of our State Troopers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Frein. He hid for 48 days from helicopters, dogs, drones, and many different police forces working together to capture him. Most of the time when search and rescue is called out, it only has a small fraction of the resources that were spent on the apprehension of this one man. The highest elevation that he traveled through was only about 2,000 feet above sea level and he was finally apprehended at around 950 feet above sea level.

When we talk about people disappearing in our Western National Parks; the terrain is considerably more difficult. Snakes, bees, black flies, ticks, and mosquitos all take a toll on the searchers besides the very difficult climbs. Not every square inch is accessible to our searchers. Of course the survivalist, illegal growers, and cookers have an upper hand on the searchers; they know the terrain.

My feeling is that the elements and falls get most of the lost. But I am sure that those that do not want to be found, because of illegal activities, also take a toll.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:50 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Not only the homeless, you also have to worry about the marijuana growers and the meth labs crazies.
Quote:
The homeless actually aren't noted for murdering passersby, but there has been more than one serial killer whose "hunting ground" is hiking trails. I'm just surprised there aren't more of them because it would be so easy.

I was going to start doing some hiking (for the 1st time in my life), but good reminder. That & wild animals is probably why I never started hiking. I've thought about that too. What's to stop some serial killer or whoever to lie in wait for someone they see as an easy prey to come along. After all, the killer has nothing to lose.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was going to start doing some hiking (for the 1st time in my life), but good reminder. That & wild animals is probably why I never started hiking. I've thought about that too. What's to stop some serial killer or whoever to lie in wait for someone they see as an easy prey to come along. After all, the killer has nothing to lose.
You don't have to choose out-of-the-way trails to start hiking. Go where you know it is safe and where you are surrounded by others. While it is not really hiking; you might be able to start on local tracks laid out by the community.

In Brunswick ME the community paid for a bicycling and pedestrian path along the one large river. It normally has many hikers and bikers on nice days. Maybe your community has similar tracks? In California you have many large National Parks; I presume you also have State Parks (I did not check). But I know that many of your beautiful National Parks can be very busy with tourist. If you are afraid of what can happen just stick to groups and avoid being alone. Maybe you can find a friend that also likes to hike?

Old 10-11-2020, 09:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
The person would really have to be SICK to sit and wait out in the woods, to ambush random hikers that come along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal