Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 02:28 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Nope.

Back in the late 70s, there was a series of "mutilations' around my area. Lots and lots in common with each other, and other so called reports. Even the sheriff at the time mentioned the alien mutilation theory. They stopped after a few weeks and 15 - 20 head of cattle dead. Years later, same thing, more dead cows, same theories kept popping up, had everybody believing UFOs were landing. Again, they stopped, and then in January of 2000 they started up yet again. Exact same things happening each time. One farmer got smart, set up some trail cams and caught the perps in action. 2 guys killing them had been killing them for years just to get the attention and laugh at the media blowing it up!
I wish that you could find a link. The reason I ask is because I tried three different search engines and all want to point me in the direction of aliens or paranormal. That is also what most of the believers claim.

I suspect that most are caused by nature. Like the cows eat what they should not be eating, they cannot get rid of the gas, and their bellies literally explode. When the skin is stretched to its limits and rips, the cuts can look like surgical incisions. Also the pressure can extend the tongue, eyeballs, and soft tissues of the anus. Therefore making an easy 'snack' for insects and birds like vultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 04:25 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I wish that you could find a link. The reason I ask is because I tried three different search engines and all want to point me in the direction of aliens or paranormal. That is also what most of the believers claim.

I suspect that most are caused by nature. Like the cows eat what they should not be eating, they cannot get rid of the gas, and their bellies literally explode. When the skin is stretched to its limits and rips, the cuts can look like surgical incisions. Also the pressure can extend the tongue, eyeballs, and soft tissues of the anus. Therefore making an easy 'snack' for insects and birds like vultures.
I wish i could. I would have thought some of the local news channels would have had something about it on the net, but i guess they take stuff down after so long.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:31 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:

Yes, cows do really blow up. Hopefully you notice the bloating before that happens. You stick a hose down their throat to release the pressure. The smell is horrific. Then pour mineral oil down the hose to clean them out and hope they make it.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Yes, cows do really blow up. Hopefully you notice the bloating before that happens. You stick a hose down their throat to release the pressure. The smell is horrific. Then pour mineral oil down the hose to clean them out and hope they make it.
I read that when we had the last discussion on cattle mutilations. I found this link: https://www.thecattlesite.com/diseas...oat-in-cattle/. It claims that death can occur within 15 minutes after the bloat starts. That does not give a rancher a lot of time to react. I presume that ranchers know the kind of clover to avoid and when they should avoid it?

Old 10-14-2020, 05:17 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
I read that when we had the last discussion on cattle mutilations. I found this link: https://www.thecattlesite.com/diseas...oat-in-cattle/. It claims that death can occur within 15 minutes after the bloat starts. That does not give a rancher a lot of time to react. I presume that ranchers know the kind of clover to avoid and when they should avoid it?
I have a few farmer friends and was at a friends house and helped him do it once. His cows are in large pastures. I believe it had something to do with eating too high of percentage of fresh alfalfa to grass in pasture cattle. Not 100% sure though.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:35 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Bloating has been going on for years and everyone (cattle farmers) know what to do and what it looks like when a cow dies from normal reasons. You guys dont give credit to these farmers who have probably been farming for years and possibly generations, so there is a lot of knowledge built up in the family. When a farmer says he has not seen anything like it before, and taken over multiple farmers, the years of experience adds up to hundreds of years. Thats a lot of knowledge and they are all saying they do not know what can do this specific signature mutilation. No blood, no footsteps, coring out of anus, removal of tongue, udder, eye, lips, etc.

So..we know this is something odd and not a natural phenomena seen by farmers who have been farming for years. Please stop suggesting flies, bloating, foxes, wolves, and any other 'normal' thing which a farmer would see in the daily practice of running a farm.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:52 PM

You turn to the unknown and away from known causes. We have no pictures of aliens slicing and dicing cows; we only have our imagination. We do know that we have ticks that can drain a cow of blood. We know that the soft tissues of cows that bloat protrude where scavengers and insects can readily feast. But there we go again pointing to unknown government experimentation or our favorite little green man for a scapegoat.

I don't pretend to know all the answers. But there is a very good chance that we do know what is doing these 'mutilations'. Probably it is just nature at work.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:30 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
You turn to the unknown and away from known causes. We have no pictures of aliens slicing and dicing cows; we only have our imagination. We do know that we have ticks that can drain a cow of blood. We know that the soft tissues of cows that bloat protrude where scavengers and insects can readily feast. But there we go again pointing to unknown government experimentation or our favorite little green man for a scapegoat.

I don't pretend to know all the answers. But there is a very good chance that we do know what is doing these 'mutilations'. Probably it is just nature at work.
No, you dont pretend to know all the answers, but you always manage to have a good shot at suggesting the non-paranormal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20
So..we know this is something odd and not a natural phenomena seen by farmers who have been farming for years. Please stop suggesting flies, bloating, foxes, wolves, and any other 'normal' thing which a farmer would see in the daily practice of running a farm.
IF they were 'known causes' as you say, then the farmer with all his experience would know about them wouldn't he.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:

Yes, I would like to see a link to that claim as well!

Ive never once seen ANY cattle mutilation case solved or even had suspects...if the story of the 2 guys had happened, I think the information would be all over the internet, skeptics would LOVE having that at their disposal.

Regarding your post though, since when do rips in skin look 'surgical'? You also forgot that there is no blood found at the scene, so a belly exploding would result in a lot of blood, (within the cow, and in the area of the carcass, if the belly split open).

Again about insects, vultures and scavengers...why are they ONLY doing this to SOME cattle carcasses? majority of cattle deaths that happen out in the field, do not have any of these strange details involving the carcass....if this was normal scavenger remains....it would happen to EVERY cow carcass that is found out in the field dead.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:23 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
You did notice that he offered a $2,500 reward for the arrest and conviction of the guilty party. It does not sound like he believes that aliens are responsible.
The late sheriff of Las Animas county here in Colorado believed for decades that the cattle mutilations were due to aliens & Las Animas county has $2,500 reward offered as well.

Sometimes however, the media errs on the side of sensationalism & will report criminal activity as a "cattle mutilation", despite there being known evidence of human involvement at the scene. I encountered that before when I called to inquire about a "mutilation" in Pueblo county where the media neglected to report that actual tools had been left behind.

So, I guess I now have a responsibility to call the numbers given & make myself look crazy by telling them it could be the Bird. I would feel bad if the guy sustained more losses because he didn't know what to look for. Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal