Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 12:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

I would imagine the writer of the article may have just used the word 'Tidal highs/ lows' to let the readers be aware that this particular section is underwater at sometimes, and other times its not, and apparently there was a large pile of logs and stumps in this section.

If the tide changed every day/night, the story wouldnt make sense...what the writer is saying basically is...that the river level is high at times and low at other times, and this thing was seen living amongst the logs and stumps when that area was not submerged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 02:43 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would imagine the writer of the article may have just used the word 'Tidal highs/ lows' to let the readers be aware that this particular section is underwater at sometimes, and other times its not, and apparently there was a large pile of logs and stumps in this section.

If the tide changed every day/night, the story wouldnt make sense...what the writer is saying basically is...that the river level is high at times and low at other times, and this thing was seen living amongst the logs and stumps when that area was not submerged.
So now you are going to rewrite that old 1894 article so it fits your story?

My money is on what Chas863 posted about catfish or carp. The newspaper was simply using a little literary license to sell papers.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
So now you are going to rewrite that old 1894 article so it fits your story?

My money is on what Chas863 posted about catfish or carp. The newspaper was simply using a little literary license to sell papers.
The last time I checked neither of these fish left behind mussel shells and fish bones they had eaten...and the only time 'fish' could be in an area with alot of stumps and logs, would be if there was water for them to swim in...neither of these fish jump out of the water and make their nest/home in a pile of logs. LOL

My bet is still on some local vagrant or possibly deformed person, that happened to take advantage of an area he could make a quick temporary shelter and have access to food...naturally, when the water rose, he wouldnt be able to stay there, so it would fit, that this 'mermaid' was only seen in that area when the water was low.

Why someone thought this person looked like a mermaid though, is beyond me...maybe they happened to see him at a time when he was sitting or laying on the logs and from a distance, he looked 'fish like'...IDK?

I imagine there were many vagrants around at that time, and there would not be many places for them to go in those days.

I certainly DO NOT believe mermaids exist though...even though there is a 'loric history' to them and there are a handful of reports/encounters, misidentification is most likely, There are not many 'mermaid sightings' at all, they are very rare, so its interesting, even though there is a folk lore history with them, people are NOT out there making up fake sightings or reporting false claims, (that is significant in relation to cryptids in general imo), in the same way there is folk lore/history of witches...but how many sightings have you read of people claiming to see witches riding on broomsticks?! LOL

Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 PM

That article was written almost 140 years ago. We will never know the motivation of the author. But that paper was already pushing snake oil to cure ED if you look at the adds and other articles.

Just because there were mussel and clam shells does not mean that whatever was observed at them. Maybe contaminated water killed them off? Don't forget that many years ago many did not worry about the environment until it was killing them.

You don't have anything to prove anything, except a story. Go to the fiction area of your local library and you will find many more!

Old 10-16-2020, 03:01 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
That article was written almost 140 years ago. We will never know the motivation of the author. But that paper was already pushing snake oil to cure ED if you look at the adds and other articles.

Just because there were mussel and clam shells does not mean that whatever was observed at them. Maybe contaminated water killed them off? Don't forget that many years ago many did not worry about the environment until it was killing them.

You don't have anything to prove anything, except a story. Go to the fiction area of your local library and you will find many more!
Yeah, the Ohio River was HUGE part of the rust belt. Steel mills slagged into that river I don’t know for how many years. That’s just what they did. And the rust belt goes through Pennsylvania,Ohio and Indiana. And before the steel mills there were other industries who were very river centric so there you go. As to what’s the article is saying, I’m clueless. Because it’s not on the front page it could be just simple filler, a repeating of something that somebody heard somebody say somewhere?

The little newspaper that I have to look out for family information runs 4 to 6 sheets. One page or two pages is news of the day, one or two pages are ads, and one or two pages is local news, like obituaries, wedding announcements, local people going here and there seeing other people and coming home. I find that a fascinating thing about little local papers of the day. That I can find evidence that my mother went to see her mother-in-law at a certain day for the weekend. It’s so weird.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yeah, the Ohio River was HUGE part of the rust belt. Steel mills slagged into that river I don’t know for how many years. That’s just what they did. And the rust belt goes through Pennsylvania,Ohio and Indiana. And before the steel mills there were other industries who were very river centric so there you go. As to what’s the article is saying, I’m clueless. Because it’s not on the front page it could be just simple filler, a repeating of something that somebody heard somebody say somewhere?

The little newspaper that I have to look out for family information runs 4 to 6 sheets. One page or two pages is news of the day, one or two pages are ads, and one or two pages is local news, like obituaries, wedding announcements, local people going here and there seeing other people and coming home. I find that a fascinating thing about little local papers of the day. That I can find evidence that my mother went to see her mother-in-law at a certain day for the weekend. It’s so weird.
There were large coke mills set up along side the river to make coke to burn in the steel and iron furnaces: https:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(fuel). The coke plants were huge and the amount of noxious fumes and byproducts did not play favorably with the environment.

Beside that, by 1900 most of our forest had disappeared. Trees were used to heat homes, to build homes and cities back then, to tan hides, and to make rails for our railroads. There was a lot of runoff from all of that activity. There was a very good chance that many of our rivers paid the price from all of our industrialization.

I like to look at the old newspaper stories. It is interesting to look back in time and see how differently we thought and lived - especially that many years ago. I also loved to look at the old prices; I had a copy of the 1903 Sears and Roebuck catalog. Here is one link to some of the gun prices that were in that catalog: https://www.smithandwessonforums.com...-to-view.2366/.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
There were large coke mills set up along side the river to make coke to burn in the steel and iron furnaces: https:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(fuel). The coke plants were huge and the amount of noxious fumes and byproducts did not play favorably with the environment.

Beside that, by 1900 most of our forest had disappeared. Trees were used to heat homes, to build homes and cities back then, to tan hides, and to make rails for our railroads. There was a lot of runoff from all of that activity. There was a very good chance that many of our rivers paid the price from all of our industrialization.

I like to look at the old newspaper stories. It is interesting to look back in time and see how differently we thought and lived - especially that many years ago. I also loved to look at the old prices; I had a copy of the 1903 Sears and Roebuck catalog. Here is one link to some of the gun prices that were in that catalog: https://www.smithandwessonforums.com...-to-view.2366/.
It is amazing how much the country has cleaned up since the 70s. The ditches used to be full of garbage and now you rarely see any. Well except for all the masks the morons throw on the ground when they walk out of stores. Too bad they don't use the garbage cans they throw them on the ground beside.

Those old Sears catalogs are awesome. I collect baseball bats and enjoy looking at the old bats in them.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
It is amazing how much the country has cleaned up since the 70s. The ditches used to be full of garbage and now you rarely see any. Well except for all the masks the morons throw on the ground when they walk out of stores. Too bad they don't use the garbage cans they throw them on the ground beside.

Those old Sears catalogs are awesome. I collect baseball bats and enjoy looking at the old bats in them.
Years ago many homes, farms, and businesses had their own dump. If you owned any property that had a little embankment, you threw what you did not want over the embankment. You burned a lot of the rest of it. Even when they collected the waste they would leave it on top of the ground. Some of our first dumps were on the sides of hills so they would simply shove it over the edge.

I went to the local dump to shoot rats in the 1960's. The neighbors complained because living rivers of rats were crossing their properties to get to the dump. So they wanted everybody to come and thin the pest out. I would shoot so many that my gun barrel would get to hot to shoot another round. We used mainly pump .22s and always took a brick or two of ammunition. Early in the morning, right after they dumped fresh garbage that day, or in the half hour before sunset, so many rats would come out that you could not see the tons of fresh garbage - just one brown moving mass!

My rat shooting experience was about 60 years ago. But this link is talking about something that happened 140 years ago. I know that environmentalist were a scare commodity back then! People should take a look at pictures of our hills and forest from the early 1900s - there were only few trees left standing.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post

My dad and I were just talking about this the other day, back in the 70s and parts of the 80s, it was common to see people throwing their garbage from their cars, old McDs bags, cigarette butts, etc, they would toss it out the window without a care in the world!

I still see quite a few people throwing cigarette butts from their car windows today though, most roadsides and expressway medians are littered with butts. its easy to see when you are stuck in traffic.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:58 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
People should take a look at pictures of our hills and forest from the early 1900s - there were only few trees left standing.
There are more trees today in the United States than there were a hundred years ago:

https://www.greenoptimistic.com/united-states-trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal