U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 08:16 AM

12,201 posts, read 11,506,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I put this here because it goes along with the theory of the "law of attraction" which is a spiritual idea. It is also a scientific theory -- the many worlds theory.

But I was thinking about how before 2000 almost nothing really seemed like it was able to be moved. Things were mundane. Nothing bad was going to happen. Nothing bad or interesting did ever happen. I used to get excited about wars / invasions (Panama) because there is nothing else happening. We weren't walking around constantly going -- can you believe that happened?

But since 2000 it seems like we can't go a year without some bizarre stuff happening where we are all like, can you believe this is happening. I swear this started with the 2000 election.

I am starting to seriously wonder if we (or me) got pushed into an alternate universe on Y2K.

Remember how we all laughed about how nothing happened... but what if it did?

I don't know I just remember my early life being so stable and different and *blam* the last few years... nothing is safe. Everything I am smacking about.

David Koresh at Waco Tx

Oklahoma Bombing

Kennedy asassinations

Cuban Missle crisis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 AM

19,244 posts, read 15,948,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What?! Before 2000 nothing bad happened or was going to happen? 1998 Russia defaulted on its World Bank loans, plunging the global stock markets into a tailspin. And the Clinton impeachment--you don't remember that? And the Gingrich takeover of Congress, slashing the federal budget left and right, to fund tax giveaways to the rich? I guess you don't remember that, but I knew a number of people whose work was upended by Congress suddenly cutting off financing for all the government foreign aid agencies. I also had a front row seat to the Institute of American Indian Art in Santa Fe, a college of the arts of Native students, having its budget completely eliminated, left to fend for itself, after Congress cut it off.

And no, I don't remember "how we all laughed about how nothing happened", because no one I know of was laughing.

You live a remarkably sheltered life, OP. I suppose you should count your blessings instead of complaining about how boring life was for you, before even more upheavals began to happen. Or you might consider doing some volunteer work, to find out how the less fortunate get buffeted about by events that don't even graze your consciousness.

Ruth, the majority of Americans are usually unaware of what's going on in the rest of the world ( unless it's major tzunamis or earth-quakes.)

So if it feels like "nothing is happening in America," it's automatically translates that "nothing is happening anywhere."
Only if your ties/work happen to be connected to international settings - then yes, you'll be aware of the changes happening elsewhere.

Other than that, for the most part, Americans are blissfully unaware of those things ( until, of course, some virus hits from China, then they look "China" up. )

But I think you know all that, I am not saying anything new here.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:53 PM

4,486 posts, read 1,787,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
It is one of my wild theories about the mandela effect - that we are constantly jumping to different timelines according to our level of something (maybe it is 'spirituality'?), so as we go along we possibly at night when we are asleep, jump to another timeline which is why we remember something as fact and then find out it is different. I reckon the Earth and different peoples have their own timeline jumps too.

Often it is just our own perception of our external world, many times that is influenced by the media and TV, etc and how they and the government want us to think at the time.
Do you remember the whole confusion over the Berenstain Bears?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bere...Name_confusion

Old 01-16-2021, 04:24 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,670,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with how old we were/are.

OP, maybe you don't remember the Kennedy assassination. I was just 6 yrs old...but I remember that it devastated a nation. I was just 6...so the impact did not hit me the same as it would hit my parents.

I remember the Vietnam war, and how it disillusioned youth, being drafted into a war that we weren't allowed to actually win. That spawned a LOT of history changing.

I remember being a young adult when Carter was in office, and the gas lines. It didn't really faze me, because I was more about having fun, and cruising around in my car, but my mom tried to shame me about wasting gas.

My parents and grandparents went through the depression. Try telling them nothing bad happened. Although I imagine my grandparents experienced it differently than my parents did, since my parents were kids at the time.

Or how about the Spanish flu? That was a world wide pandemic. My grandpa lost his parents to it as a young boy, and was raised (with his two siblings) by an uncle and aunt.

What I think is happening OP, is that you are more AWARE of the bad in the world, and as you age, all of this seems to come at you faster and faster.

But bad things have always happened in the world, and now we see 24 hour news cycles, and it's in our face all the time.

All of this. There are events I remember, but they didn't impact me as emotionally because I was too young to comprehend what exactly some of these events meant. For example, I remember when Elvis Presley died....but I was seven years old when that happened. I knew he was a singer, but I wasn't really aware of how big a deal he had been.

Same when John Lennon was killed--I was ten then. Now, here, I had a slightly better grip on this, since my mom had been a *huge* Beatles fan and was always playing his records--plus, being shot to death leaves a bigger impact--but again, John Lennon (and the Beatles in general) weren't quite in my scan of things, since the band had broken up a little before I was born, and Lennon himself had been a bit more off the radar prior to his death.

Now, weirdly enough, just three months later, Reagan was shot. Now that one *did* impact me, because Reagan was the president at the time, so I knew very well who he was, so this was a big deal that I grasped very well.

The "Challenger" disaster--I was in high school for that one. That's probably the first instance of "I remember where I was when that happened." I was in my high school Life Sciences class, and we had been making plans for a garden we would plant in the spring on the school grounds when the announcement came over the P.A.

It's interesting that the OP mentions the Panama Invasion, because I was there when it happened.

I was in Europe when the Soviet Union fell.

I was in Oklahoma when Oklahoma City was bombed.

I was living in Colorado when Columbine happened.

I don't think it's so much 'nothing exciting happened' before 2000, but depending upon the age of the OP, they may have just been too young to really process anything before then.

Last edited by Indigo Cardinal; 01-16-2021 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 10:51 AM

87,807 posts, read 81,538,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
All of this. There are events I remember, but they didn't impact me as emotionally because I was too young to comprehend what exactly some of these events meant. For example, I remember when Elvis Presley died....but I was seven years old when that happened. I knew he was a singer, but I wasn't really aware of how big a deal he had been.

Same when John Lennon was killed--I was ten then. Now, here, I had a slightly better grip on this, since my mom had been a *huge* Beatles fan and was always playing his records--plus, being shot to death leaves a bigger impact--but again, John Lennon (and the Beatles in general) weren't quite in my scan of things, since the band had broken up a little before I was born, and Lennon himself had been a bit more off the radar prior to his death.

Now, weirdly enough, just three months later, Reagan was shot. Now that one *did* impact me, because Reagan was the president at the time, so I knew very well who he was, so this was a big deal that I grasped very well.

The "Challenger" disaster--I was in high school for that one. That's probably the first instance of "I remember where I was when that happened." I was in my high school Life Sciences class, and we had been making plans for a garden we would plant in the spring on the school grounds when the announcement came over the P.A.

It's interesting that the OP mentions the Panama Invasion, because I was there when it happened.

I was in Europe when the Soviet Union fell.

I was in Oklahoma when Oklahoma City was bombed.

I was living in Colorado when Columbine happened.

I don't think it's so much 'nothing exciting happened' before 2000, but depending upon the age of the OP, they may have just been too young to really process anything before then.
The OP hasn't told us her age, so it's easy for people to make excuses for her, but she remembers the invasion of Panama, so one can't help but wonder, why she doesn't remember other events around that time (the Soviet Union unexpectedly crashing down), and later. Several of the events people have mentioned occurred in the 1990's. I can't imagine how the OP could have missed the Clinton impeachment, the Columbine shooting (and similar events of the decade).. The Challenger disaster happened only 3 years prior to the Panama invasion. Maybe the OP had simply forgotten about it?

I wonder, is the OP too young to remember Mt. St. Helens exploding? (1980) She likes invasions, so what about Reagan's invasion of Grenada? (1983). The Oklahoma City bombing (1995)? Princess Diana's death? (1997)

Interesting life you've had, Indigo. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-17-2021 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 08:48 AM

7,222 posts, read 6,071,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Do you remember the whole confusion over the Berenstain Bears?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bere...Name_confusion

I can swear seeing Mr. Rogers' obituary in the newspaper back in 1971 or so, and showing my dad, and I remember my dad saying that he "never looked very healthy" (kind of true, he always seemed to have had a bit of a pasty look).

Right now I'm reading Dean Koontz's latest, "Elsewhere", and it deals with "parallel existences".

I'm 60 now, and remembering Three Mile Island and what happened in 1979. I lived within 50 miles of it, and we were frightened. I think that's the first major impact of bad reality in my life. A lot of us in our tidy little rural/small town or suburban bubble didn't realize how close we came to nuclear fallout, but some others packed what they could in their cars and left, saying, "That thing is going to BLOW". But it didn't happen, we got over it, and life went on. Then, less than two years later, John Lennon was gunned down. That one of THE BEATLES could be murdered in cold blood in front of his house was unimaginable. I was 20 at the time, and that was my first real dose of how bad the world was.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-18-2021 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM

6,669 posts, read 4,468,388 times
And I thought the unexplained mysteries and paranormal forum was an alternate universe. Spooky.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:50 PM

11,792 posts, read 8,169,197 times
Relaxation of laws, rules, and morals, the opening of borders, mass coverage of anything that may, or may not be happening.

Oh, and then there's the cell-towers.

I thought the 1970s and 80s were nice, before everyone got angry.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:58 PM

4,518 posts, read 4,009,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And I thought the unexplained mysteries and paranormal forum was an alternate universe. Spooky.
Yes, it is. Some of us are living in a totally different reality to the others. Why do you think your 'reality' is the same as anyone else's? We all project our reality onto the world we see around us, so they are all unique. However, some parts are shared with others.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:30 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,175,842 times
I remember being a teenager in the naive 90s and wishing more was going on. Boy were my dreams answered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal