Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 05:09 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

What's you take on this?

If you have a slightly above average knowledge and interest in the paranormal, you probably know that this has happened.

No. I am not referencing the Bible. I am talking about relatively modern times. Such as this - https://allthatsinteresting.com/kentucky-meat-shower

"The Kentucky Meat Shower" is one example of this. There are many others.

Is there a scientific explanation that would hold water? I have searched and found none that explain these events in any plausible way.

1. What examples of this have you heard of?

2. What explanations do you have?

3. Finally, has anyone experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 05:15 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
A rain of animals is a rare meteorological phenomenon in which flightless animals fall from the sky. Such occurrences have been reported in many countries throughout history. One hypothesis is that tornadic waterspouts sometimes pick up creatures such as fish or frogs, and carry them for up to several miles.
(Wikipedia)

The Kentucky meat shower?
Probably a tornado hit a slaughterhouse and the wind/rain carried the meat to a different location.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:06 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I always wondered if anybody was ever killed by a falling fish? In some cases the fish looked pretty large. Here is a YouTube of many things that can fall from the sky; like bats, iguanas, star jelly, fish, spiders, blood, and maybe a few more I forgot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM9m...ature=emb_logo

Old 11-09-2020, 09:11 PM

A bit strange that this aspect of the phenomenon has never been witnessed by scientists, therefore the various explanations offered are more in the domain of speculation.
More about it here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_of_animals

Can't find any info about injuries, except one when a fish falling from the sky smacked a woman in the face. The catfish involved was over a foot long and dead. At the time, the woman was more concerned with peeling the rotting fish corpse from her face than finding the joke in the matter.
https://mashable.com/2016/09/12/catfish-fell-sky-woman/

Back to OP. Here are some explanations:
https://theconversation.com/birdbrai...l-from-sky-167
For example:

The deaths of 200 starlings in Yankton, South Dakota this week is no mystery -- they died as the result of poison set out by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, because they were defecating into grain at a feedlot.
The surprise was that they managed to fly 10 miles before dropping out of the sky.

In some instances birds falling from the sky were contaminated, a situation that would have gone undetected if birds had not literally fallen out of the sky.
Other phenomena listed:
https://theconversation.com/birdbrai...l-from-sky-167
Fish falling from the sky:
When tornadoes traverse over bodies of water, they become known as waterspouts. Waterspouts suck up lake or ocean water along with the fish or other creatures swimming in the water.
According to Bill Evans' meteorology book titled It's Raining Fish and Spiders, creatures fall from the sky about forty times a year.
Even squid and alligators have been reported to fall from the sky.
Raining creatures encased in blocks of ice can be very dangerous and have been known to smash through car windshields. If you see any wildlife falling from the sky, seek shelter indoors immediately.
https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/...-it-rain-fish/

Last edited by elnina; 11-09-2020 at 09:22 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 07:31 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"When tornadoes traverse over bodies of water, they become known as waterspouts. "

Must learn to read slower or get my cataracts checked. I read that as:
"When tomatoes traverse over bodies of water, they become known as waterspouts. "

I was thinking "How the h--- do tomatoes fly without turning into sauce?!?"

Old 11-10-2020, 05:02 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
This is another rehash of speculation which someone has thought of. How do we know this stuff is picked up by waterspouts? For a start, you probably find that frogs and alligators will not 'fly' at the same speed, therefore they will not get dumped in the same place. We dont get cows and lorries being dumped years, weeks or days after being picked up by a hurricane - nor pieces of trash or bits of houses either.

Frogs and alligators or fish all coming from waterspouts or hurricanes is mere speculation, no-one has had a scientific instrument picked up by the waterspout and then dropped days or weeks later. So...No-one really knows, but science likes to speculate and make it an authority opinion which everyone laps up.

My non-authorative speculation about the starlings is that they all flew into a cloaked spaceship and broke their necks or received internal injuries. Many of these reports involve birds which fly in flocks together (pigeons, jackdaws, starlings, etc) and my theory would explain why they all appear to have flown into a brick wall which they did not see.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
It's been decades since I read his books, but Charles Fort described a lot of falls of strange objects in his writings. There's a one-volume paperback of his writings on Amazon for those who enjoy such things: "The Complete Books of Charles Fort: The Book of the Damned / Lo! / Wild Talents / New Lands"

Old 11-10-2020, 10:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This is another rehash of speculation which someone has thought of. How do we know this stuff is picked up by waterspouts? For a start, you probably find that frogs and alligators will not 'fly' at the same speed, therefore they will not get dumped in the same place. We dont get cows and lorries being dumped years, weeks or days after being picked up by a hurricane - nor pieces of trash or bits of houses either.

Frogs and alligators or fish all coming from waterspouts or hurricanes is mere speculation, no-one has had a scientific instrument picked up by the waterspout and then dropped days or weeks later. So...No-one really knows, but science likes to speculate and make it an authority opinion which everyone laps up.

My non-authorative speculation about the starlings is that they all flew into a cloaked spaceship and broke their necks or received internal injuries. Many of these reports involve birds which fly in flocks together (pigeons, jackdaws, starlings, etc) and my theory would explain why they all appear to have flown into a brick wall which they did not see.
Why think logical when we can make irrational speculations about what happened, sounds like one of your standard game plans!

Atmospheric events are recorded. We know if there are waterspouts, tornados, or hurricanes in the near vicinity of one of these 'mysterious' oddities that fall from the sky. We also know if a government agency sprayed a flock of birds with detergent to kill off an over population. Iguanas falling from trees, after a cold snap, can even be predictable. Little green men have better things to do than drop fish on our heads.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Your post doesn't make sense.
1. Frogs and alligators weren't duped at the same place.

2. They weren't dumped years, weeks after being picked up by a hurricane. Tornadoes pickup stuff and dump miles away, not hurricanes.

3. Cars and trash gets picked up by a tornado and dumped somewhere else.

4. In some cases those are unexplained mysteries.

5. If they "were flown into a brick wall" and broken their necks, they would be found at the bottom or near that brick wall.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:17 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I like the idea of flying brick walls that birds can run into. How much you want to bet they would be made by the "ACME" company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal