Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 05:34 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’d be nice to see an analysis of the metal composition and also to get the density/volume as well as how it was planted in the ground but I’m sure it will be confiscated by the government and we will not hear a peep about it.
People on Instagram and the media have already descended on the site to see it first hand and from their videos it looks like it is 3 sheets of metal that was riveted together to form a triangle. Then they used a stone cutting saw blade, then they placed the metal triangle into the ground and siliconed around the edge where the metal touched the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 08:39 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
People on Instagram and the media have already descended on the site to see it first hand and from their videos it looks like it is 3 sheets of metal that was riveted together to form a triangle. Then they used a stone cutting saw blade, then they placed the metal triangle into the ground and siliconed around the edge where the metal touched the ground.
I kind of wish it had stayed mysterious, like the Poe Toaster or Toynbee Tiles. It was fun thinking about the other possibilities.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:45 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Where did you come up with the idea that it's triangular? Link please.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:29 AM

The object is said it may have been an unused and abandoned prop for a movie or television. The location has apparently has been a popular spot with Hollywood. The sci-fi Westworld TV series, which premiered on television (HBO) in 2016, has been suggested. Views of the location using Google World show that around 2015 the object wasn't there. That puts it around the time Westworld was being filmed. The thinking is that the object was probably built for the series but discarded and never used. It was never seen in the series, so it might have been filmed, but after editing, ended up on the cutting room floor. That said, it's also possible the monolith was built, but never actually filmed (director's choice).

https://bgr.com/2020/11/25/utah-monolith-tv-movie-prop/

Old 11-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Where did you come up with the idea that it's triangular? Link please.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIAzJ2PH...=1nnc7ds7d1y2y

Old 11-26-2020, 03:17 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
It fell off the plane. Someone has probably been wondering where it's been all along.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:42 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-_Y9THF0eQ

Old 11-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you. The Instagram video certainly shows the rivets. And according to Wiki, it does indeed have only three sides making it triangular. I had to look at it several times, but I agree - just 3 sides. Didn't take long to get it on Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_m...th%20resembles.

I've been seeing other photos of it. Some are photoshopped. It appears its location is not exactly a secret. Everyone and their brother is going out there for a look, some perching on top of it. won't be long before taggers start covering it with spray paint. As I mentioned earlier, it appears to be a prop for a TV series, possibly Westworld. And according to Google World, it showed up there around 2015, right about the time when Westworld (for HBO) was filming. If that's true, the monolith was unused and abandoned, or edited out, as it isn't shown in the HBO series. But the general location has been used for various Hollywood films.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
As I mentioned earlier, it appears to be a prop for a TV series, possibly Westworld. And according to Google World, it showed up there around 2015, right about the time when Westworld (for HBO) was filming. If that's true, the monolith was unused and abandoned, or edited out, as it isn't shown in the HBO series. But the general location has been used for various Hollywood films.
While it could be left over from a film/TV series, I'm a big NPS nerd and while NPS, BLM, US Forest, etc. definitely allow filming within their boundaries, with the proper permits and fees, the crews have to restore the land/area back to the way it was before filming.

In addition, the federal government usually has someone or someones from XYZ agency to be on the set throughout the filming/taping, so I do find it hard to believe it was left over, by accident or purposefully by a film studio, but I guess anything is possible.

I still like the idea of some random, eccentric artist putting it there, who knows maybe it is from some cult, that goes to that site to perform some crazy ritual, every now and then!

Old 11-26-2020, 05:12 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
So much for the original Park Service warning that everybody will perish in the desert! Thanks for the YouTube and the screws which brings it down to earth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal