Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:04 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,599 times

Advertisements

We recently lost a beloved family member a few weeks ago. We've had some unexpected things happen that seem to indicate some potential paranormal activity.

First - I am a complete skeptic of ghosts / spirits / supernatural / superstitions and am the most practical person in my family, but these events are extremely interesting.

After we buried the beloved family member, I was talking during breakfast with the family that we should go visit the grave during the holidays to pay our respects. As soon as I said that, the lights above our dining table flickered visibly. Everyone looked around and said "did you see that?" Other lights were on in the house and no other lights flickered whatsoever.

So we went to visit the grave that same day, and discovered that a brand new headstone we had ordered had just literally been placed on the grave hours earlier. Very interesting little coincidence that day.

Another strange thing - this evening, while I was doing some work in front of the TV on my recliner, I fell asleep. I woke up a couple of hours later as I had left a lamp switched on and it was disturbing my eyes. As I slowly woke up and my eyes were adjusting to the light, the light clicked off. The beloved family member would often turn off lights to make sure we were comfortable and resting...so it felt like family member was taking care of me at that moment.

I thought maybe the LED bulb had burned out, so I went to check the switch to see if I could flick the lamp on / off. Much to my surprise, the light switch was clicked in the off position, and when I clicked it to the on position, the lamp turned on. The switch was in an area that only I could see it being accessed, and no one else could click it without me knowing. It was a standard electrical switch and had worked just fine for a very long time with no unusual behavior.

I thought "that was odd", and went on to check on one of the kids to make sure they were in bed. On the way to the kid's room, I noticed in a spare guest bedroom that I rarely use, the TV was turned on. That had never happened before, and no one would ever turn on that TV for any reason as they all never ventured into that room. It was only a room intended for family members who visit, so it was very strange that the TV was turned on, but with the screen saver playing and nothing else on it.

I know my family and none of them would ever go there and turn on a TV like that. I did ask everyone if they knew the TV was on or had turned it on, and as expected none of them were aware of it and were surprised like I was. This had never happened before, ever.

So a series of strange coincidences leads me to speculate if something supernatural might be possible. I am a very skeptical person of such things but when you witness some strange phenomenons first hand it does make one thing about what might be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 08:52 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Yes, strange indeed since nothing odd happened before this person passed away, right? I personally wouldn't want it. Although the activity may be kind, non-scary, or non-threatening, I'd just want to be left alone & everything as normal. I don't want even "harmless" things to happen such as lights or TV turning on/off, etc. Well, hopefully, this was just on that day or will stop very soon.

(The closest person to me who has passed away was my dad & nothing strange happened when he died or else my mom would have told me.)

Old 12-06-2020, 10:42 AM

Yes it is very strange considering no TV had turned on by itself ever before, nor did any lights get switched off (or on) by itself ever before, that I can recall.

I'm still hesitant to say it's ghosts or spirits, but logically it's very hard to explain the timing of these things.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:24 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
I think they "get through" to the people who are most open - thats not to say the people who believe the most, but the ones who are ABLE to perceive these things the most. You may not believe in these things, but you may be the one who is most able to pick up on their thoughts and communications. Like the difference between a receiver which is capable of receiving certain frequencies and one which is not able to tune into those frequencies.

Or, maybe this is a sign to you that life continues and thats what you need to know for the future.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, I've told this story here before, but I'll tell it again for your benefit.

I have a friend who never believed in anything supernatural. She not only didn't believe in it, she looked down on those who did, as being deluded, or of lesser brain-power, prone to magical thinking, and whatnot. She even though this about me, during my moments of entertaining interesting possibilities.

After her mother died, she started noticing something strange. She would see her mother in a corner of the room from time to time. This went on for months. Finally, she got up the nerve to overcome her prejudices enough, to ask her siblings (all 5), if they'd noticed anything unusual since "mom" had passed. ALL of them had seen their mom's apparition hanging around the house! (They lived scattered around the Northeastern US.) Eventually, their mother was apparently satisfied that her kids were doing ok, and she moved on to wherever spirits go. Awhile later, I asked my friend if she'd seen her mom ever again, and she never answered my question. She still couldn't bring herself to talk about such phenomena, as if they were normal. The experience really shook her up.

OP, I think everyone should have an experience at least once in life, that causes them question their view of reality and maybe do some research or some reflection and questioning about whether that limited version of reality is accurate. I think it's good to shake things up, and be forced to think, perhaps expanding our view of the nature of reality, the universe, "science", etc. I think it's healthy to be challenged now and then. This can lead to Growth.

And I think your loved one was sending you messages, that s/he cares, and is still around, just in different form, and is watching over you.

You can continue to doubt, and watch the "coincidences" pile up. Life is a mystery, and that's one of the glorious things about it. Enjoy the mystery!

And report back to us, please.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:19 AM

Thank you for sharing your story, Ruth. I agree, life is a huge mystery and we don't understand most of it. I do appreciate thinking that a loved one is looking over us. It would make great sense for sure. I will report more observations if we have any.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
In my world it's common knowledge spirits are saying hello - using anything electrical.
They're vibrating at a higher speed (energy) and so can easily manipulate electricity (energy).
They're saying, "Hello".
They're right there. Talk to them, say hi back.

Next, wait for the smell of their smell. Or a place you had common, happy memories together,
your special time with them at the beach or their cabin with the fireplace and pipe smell.
Things like that, esp from the purity of childhood.

Ha, my friend's father had Alz'ers - didn't recognize any one ---so he dies...huge fam comes for the Wake and Funeral.
A grandson, 28, goes back to his hotel to shower for the dinner. He sees all his change stacked on the dresser.

He thinks - "Is this what the chambermaids do here?"
Comes outta the bathroom and the change is all toppled now.
And right there is his grand dad...flannel shirt and suspenders. Smiles big and says, "Gotcha".

The grand son was so white and shaken and didn't wanna talk about it until my friend, his uncle,
made him answer, Knock it off! What is up with you!!?

This is all common, everyday stuff to me. I don't find much to be mysterious myself. Just sayin.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Yes it is very strange considering no TV had turned on by itself ever before, nor did any lights get switched off (or on) by itself ever before, that I can recall.

I'm still hesitant to say it's ghosts or spirits, but logically it's very hard to explain the timing of these things.
I am not hesitant to say that it's supernatural. For starts, televisions do not turn themselves on. What you describe sounds typical of that type of activity, and your experience has much in common with events that sometimes occur after a relative or someone close passes. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it appears to have happened to you.

Spirits frequent attempts to contact those who are sensitive. It isn't unusual for them to manipulate electrical appliances such as televisions or telephones. I have had those experiences myself.

Sometimes those who have transitioned to the other side want to say "hello". Or let you know that they are fine. Occasionally they choose methods that are frightening to the living. This is especially true when the person has never had experiences like this, and are not familiar with the supernatural.

My assessment is that this is a visit, not an ongoing haunting. I could be wrong, but that is my thought.

Perhaps if you read about the subject, you would realize that this really isn't that uncommon.

If you are interested in reading more about encounters with deceased loved ones, there are a plethora of books about that subject. If you would like some suggestions, let me know.

I agree with the ocupaul, who said that spirits generally contact the most sensitive. So, it appears that you are a sensitive.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Ha, my friend's father had Alz'ers - didn't recognize any one ---so he dies...huge fam comes for the Wake and Funeral.
A grandson, 28, goes back to his hotel to shower for the dinner. He sees all his change stacked on the dresser.

He thinks - "Is this what the chambermaids do here?"
Comes outta the bathroom and the change is all toppled now.
And right there is his grand dad...flannel shirt and suspenders. Smiles big and says, "Gotcha".

The grand son was so white and shaken and didn't wanna talk about it until my friend, his uncle,
made him answer, Knock it off! What is up with you!!?

This is all common, everyday stuff to me. I don't find much to be mysterious myself. Just sayin.

That story is one for the books around here!

He stacked his change, then knocked it over? WHO-O-OA!

So, Ms. Hep, how did he do that? I've never understood how they can do that.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:00 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post

Yes, what else could it be? Unless maybe at the same time your loved one passed, you brought home some antique or something into the house becasue who knows who used to own those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal