Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Oh, there really IS sound with feathered wings! Even when not flapping furiously! And yes, blackbirds and other little garden variety birds make noise as well when flying. Spend some time in the early morning in a tree stand, when the air is still, and you most definitely will hear all those little birds flapping away. It is amazing how loud they can be and a flock of them can be deafening by the flapping alone!

You really need to spend some time in the woods or on the coast. Wings pushing air make a sound. Get buzzed by an eagle just flying by, not in panic mode and you'll definitely hear the wings. A Great Blue Heron taking off? Same thing. Pelican...woosh, wooosh, wooosh! Spook some turkeys, oh yeah! Thats some racket there. How about geese? One can clearly hear them flapping as they abort their landing and return to flight!

pterodactyl's? Yes, I'm sure they made some racket at liftoff many millions of years ago but too bad nobody ever heard one to be able to describe it. But wait, didn't dinosaurs have feathers? And a pterodactyl WAS a dinosaur of some type. Was it not?
As far as I know, its still being debated whether some dinosaurs had feathers, the last I heard on this was basically 'we just do not know'...

my main point was that, there is a big difference (sound wise) between feathered wings and skin wings...(would be difficult to mistake one for the other).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 05:45 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
I think you will find there are fossils of the feathered dinosaur Archaeopteryx which show the impressions of the feathers.

Supposed to look like this

fossil like this

As you know, a lot of what the archeologists find is made up to look how someone creatively thinks they looked because no-one really knows after all this time. They may have an imprint of a feather, but no idea what colours the thing was. Then after a while it is all accepted as fact.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:19 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Cochristi said that from the sound he thought it had skin wings. It was too dark for him to see those wings from that statement. That creates other questions because of that remark.

But you reposted the YouTube video and then went on to talk about Cochristi's bird. Perhaps you should have left out the video and then mentioned Cochristi bird in your comment?
Start at 21 seconds & listen through 31 seconds. That's the unfurling sound I heard when it opened it's wings but a tad faster. In about 6 flap sounds. Like the wings were unfolding or uncurling as they raised up to catch the air underneath. There was no wind. No flags. But I was right underneath it & the sound was incredibly loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4MdCWvnJoU

Not as loud as the Boom that came as it's wings came down though. That sounded literally like thunder. And it percussed my eardrums. Feathered wings can't do that. They just can't. And the only things feathered that fly in the middle of the night are owls. And owls have silent flight. It's unique to owls. This wasn';t feathered & it obviously wasn't an owl. It's wings were deafening.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:18 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Start at 21 seconds & listen through 31 seconds. That's the unfurling sound I heard when it opened it's wings but a tad faster. In about 6 flap sounds. Like the wings were unfolding or uncurling as they raised up to catch the air underneath. There was no wind. No flags. But I was right underneath it & the sound was incredibly loud.

Not as loud as the Boom that came as it's wings came down though. That sounded literally like thunder. And it percussed my eardrums. Feathered wings can't do that. They just can't. And the only things feathered that fly in the middle of the night are owls. And owls have silent flight. It's unique to owls. This wasn';t feathered & it obviously wasn't an owl. It's wings were deafening.
The problem with your observation is that we were not there. We did not hear any sound, only you did. This is similar to what happened to me and my wife when we both saw the mountain lion in PA. The authorities (my Game Commission) did not believe us or come out to investigate. Ten or fifteen years latter PA is sill listed as having no mountain lions in our State. Regardless of the number of times that we repeat our observation it will not mean anybody is going to believe us, unless somebody can capture one or kill one.

In our case one was killed in Connecticut just a few years after our sighting, so it could have moved from my location to there? In your case we have absolutely no evidence that any such large bird has ever lived anyplace on this planet in recent times. We don't need theories, we need to evidence to go on. MY Game Commission treated me as if I was drinking when I called in our observation and I don't drink. How far do you think you would get with them if you called in your observation?

Old 12-23-2020, 09:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The problem with your observation is that we were not there. We did not hear any sound, only you did. This is similar to what happened to me and my wife when we both saw the mountain lion in PA. The authorities (my Game Commission) did not believe us or come out to investigate. Ten or fifteen years latter PA is sill listed as having no mountain lions in our State. Regardless of the number of times that we repeat our observation it will not mean anybody is going to believe us, unless somebody can capture one or kill one.

In our case one was killed in Connecticut just a few years after our sighting, so it could have moved from my location to there? In your case we have absolutely no evidence that any such large bird has ever lived anyplace on this planet in recent times. We don't need theories, we need to evidence to go on. MY Game Commission treated me as if I was drinking when I called in our observation and I don't drink. How far do you think you would get with them if you called in your observation?
I wouldn't even try. I did email the sheriff of Las Animas county (the "cattle mutilation capitol of the world") but never heard back. I know from interviews that he firmly believed it was aliens. I didn't pursue him & he has since passed away.

I read the UFO reports regularily & while most in my state seem to very sincere if not consistent (clusters of sightings), there is one guy who is clearly mentally ill who ruins the credibility of everyone else in Colorado. He submits multiple abduction reports every few months, with rambling tales of clunky saucers with rotating lights that land outside of his house to experiment on him. People like him ruin it for others.

All I know is that there has been a very large bird here in recent times. The proximity of my sighting was the closest since 1976. Even closer than that of the Alaskan pilot. When you try to tell me I didn't see what I saw, it seems like you are categorizing me with the poor guy in Crowley county who thinks he's pursued by flying saucers. That the findings at mutilation sites are very scientifically correlated with the science of birds, isn't theory; it is science. Nobody has connected the dots but there is actual, physical evidence of a large bird her in NA.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:40 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:

Again, you need to get out more. Not just owls fly and night (FYI, they are out in the day as well). Many birds fly at night. Geese, pelicans, many gulls and assorted coastal sea birds, Herons, marsh and woodland ground birds, and many others. Also any roosting bird can easily be spooked and will take flight, such as Turkeys, Herons not on the hunt, Vultures, Hawks and Eagles, and many others. All you need to do is aproach atree. Yes, the woods are alive with flying critters at night!

Oh, BTW, Last I checked, all those birds have feathers!

Oh, and also, a Condor is a very large bird and though rare, and maybe not officially in your area, they do have wings and states/regions don't have gates and doors keeping critters in or out. As I stated earlier, we have had a few Golden Eagles here, right in coastal MD for years and this is flatland marsh. There is no mistaking those birds.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 12-23-2020 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-23-2020, 11:54 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Not as loud as the Boom that came as it's wings came down though. That sounded literally like thunder. And it percussed my eardrums.
I'm even going to go a different direction here, since you mentioned a boom, I'll state that logically, it sounds like a tree fell nearby and you let you imagination run wild.

Do I believe you "believe" you saw some kind of extinct flying reptile? Yes I do. Do I believe you actually saw one? Absolutely not? The human mind can imagine a lot of things (sea monsters and mermaids while on long sea journeys in the past). But that is all those things are. A wild imagination. Most kids have it, some carry it through adulthood and others (such as those being at sea for month's on end in harsh conditions) pick it up for other reasons.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
I wouldn't even try. I did email the sheriff of Las Animas county (the "cattle mutilation capitol of the world") but never heard back. I know from interviews that he firmly believed it was aliens. I didn't pursue him & he has since passed away.

I read the UFO reports regularily & while most in my state seem to very sincere if not consistent (clusters of sightings), there is one guy who is clearly mentally ill who ruins the credibility of everyone else in Colorado. He submits multiple abduction reports every few months, with rambling tales of clunky saucers with rotating lights that land outside of his house to experiment on him. People like him ruin it for others.

All I know is that there has been a very large bird here in recent times. The proximity of my sighting was the closest since 1976. Even closer than that of the Alaskan pilot. When you try to tell me I didn't see what I saw, it seems like you are categorizing me with the poor guy in Crowley county who thinks he's pursued by flying saucers. That the findings at mutilation sites are very scientifically correlated with the science of birds, isn't theory; it is science. Nobody has connected the dots but there is actual, physical evidence of a large bird her in NA.
You are not listening to what I am saying. I am saying that neither one of us proved our observations. You can argue yourself blue in the face and it will not change the facts that you have no facts. Nobody in the whole world has captured what you saw and nobody has found a dead one. So, regardless of how many times you tell us, it still boils down to you need to have the evidence to back up your claim.

Birds with 40 foot wingspans don't swoop down on cows, eat, and leave no trace.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:52 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Does anyone know or has seen a Chupacabra? Are those real?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:07 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Does anyone know or has seen a Chupacabra? Are those real?
Larry the cable guy had a History channel series and they had an excellent show on the subject. The show was called Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy. Yes Larry acts silly but it was a very good series and the chupacabra show was excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal