Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Jackson Whites is an old and offensive name for the clan of people known as The Ramapough, a tribe recognized by the State of New Jersey but not by the federal government.

I "encountered" them in school and through friends. They are just people.

They are thought to be the descendants of the remnants of the original Lenape mixed with runaway or free Africans and Dutch settlers (most of them have Dutch last names). I grew up in the area. They are not some "unexplained mystery", just a community of people who have lived in NJ near the NYS border for a couple of centuries.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...n-the-mountain

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-29-2020 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 05:21 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,467,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure if this is in anyway related to the topic, but since Im in my late 40s now, Ive begun to notice that there really are not many 'unattractive' young people anymore, (Im not sure if this is just me and my age), or if its reality...

Back in the 80s and 90s, when I was in middle and high school, I can honestly say there were quite a few 'unattractive' kids at that time, It was also easier to see if someone had Italian, German, etc heritage...today, so many young people 'all look the same' to me, (here again, Im not sure if this is just me getting old or if its reality).

Btw, I do not consider myself to be 'attractive' either, Im one of those people, that its easy to see that I come from German lineage.
Germans are not necessarily unattractive. Have you ever seen (and heard) singer Helene Fischer? Gorgeous with an angelic voice.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:22 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
People with blue skin is an interesting subject but it has nothing to do with race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

https://www.archives.com/genealogy/f...ue-people.html

Isolated cultural groups of mixed race people existed in many parts of the country. Our history is filled with violence, ignorance and poverty in the developing years.

Fortunately with increased education and histories being filled in we no longer have to speculate about them being the boogieman. Margaret Sanger and "The Hills Have Eyes" didn't help much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon

Old 12-29-2020, 08:53 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I heard stories of them growing up. They were good campfire fodder when we were kids.
I had a boyfriend from Oakland NJ who used to tell me about them. I don't think they are supernatural or anything.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
People with blue skin is an interesting subject but it has nothing to do with race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

https://www.archives.com/genealogy/f...ue-people.html

Isolated cultural groups of mixed race people existed in many parts of the country. Our history is filled with violence, ignorance and poverty in the developing years.

Fortunately with increased education and histories being filled in we no longer have to speculate about them being the boogieman. Margaret Sanger and "The Hills Have Eyes" didn't help much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon
Yes. I was about to mention the Melungeons. I read that Elvis Presley and Abraham Lincoln may have been part Melungeon.

Loadstar is right. Isolated groups of mixed race people have existed in the US for quite a while. However, there is nothing "paranormal" about any of these groups.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:22 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think it is really strange how all humans are seen as being the same race but really there are many different races on Earth.
people with pink skin, brown skin and yellow skin, blue skin, flat noses and sticking-out noses, wide eyes and slit eyes, smooth skinned and hairy skinned people.

Originally, somewhere it said about 12 races of man and I think that is quite possible but still largely unacknowledged by science. I also think there are probably different biologies of these different races, but currently, one 'size' fits all.
The reason would be that sociological descriptions of race do not line up with people's DNA. There is nothing distinctly different in DNA to distinguish one race cleanly from another. A white person from England and a black person from central Africa may share more DNA than two white people, quite routinely, etc. Race is a social construct, not a genetic reality.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The reason would be that sociological descriptions of race do not line up with people's DNA. There is nothing distinctly different in DNA to distinguish one race cleanly from another. A white person from England and a black person from central Africa may share more DNA than two white people, quite routinely, etc. Race is a social construct, not a genetic reality.
Exactly. Racism exists, but "race" is a social construct.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
i had a boyfriend from oakland nj who used to tell me about them. I don't think they are supernatural or anything.
LOL. But hey, that's my neck of the woods (near where I grew up). My eye doctor is in Oakland.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. But hey, that's my neck of the woods (near where I grew up). My eye doctor is in Oakland.
Near OAKLAND? You didn't attend Indian Hills HS, by any chance?

I am surprised that this topic is on this thread. These people are not an unexplained mystery or a paranormal event.

Also, I am aware that this term is offensive. I was surprised to hear the thread lead with that slur.

It interests me that many have Dutch last names when they have decidedly mixed backgrounds. I wonder if any of this tribe are names Van Velsor, Devere, Onderdonk, or DeGroot?

Is there a book that anyone has read about this subject? Nothing sensational that implies that these people are aliens, cryptids, or any other wild or racist ideas.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Near OAKLAND? You didn't attend Indian Hills HS, by any chance?

I am surprised that this topic is on this thread. These people are not an unexplained mystery or a paranormal event.

Also, I am aware that this term is offensive. I was surprised to hear the thread lead with that slur.

It interests me that many have Dutch last names when they have decidedly mixed backgrounds. I wonder if any of this tribe are names Van Velsor, Devere, Onderdonk, or DeGroot?

Is there a book that anyone has read about this subject? Nothing sensational that implies that these people are aliens, cryptids, or any other wild or racist ideas.
This board also includes things that are 'mysterious'...subjects do not have to be alien, cryptid etc to qualify...anything that is mysterious by nature applies imo.

Like the blue skinned people of KY...we know they are not aliens or cryptids, but they are sort of mysterious/strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal