Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 06:33 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Thats right, you just continue to think that all these reports are from people who dont know the size of eagle owls. The largest of which is probably a couple of feet high.

So, let me ask you this about your pretty much proven theory - what colour is the reflective eye-shine of an eagle owl? When have you seen eye-shine where there is no light shining to show the reflection off the back of the eye? Now consider how your theory stands up to proper scrutiny.
You continue to ignore that about one in five Americans need mental help every year. I am not saying that people that see these things are crazy, but how do we sort through the reports and ignore the fact that many of us need mental help? To you a report is a report and we should never question.

When our children see a monster in their closet we reassure them there is no monster and we turn on the light and show them the pile of clothes. But you treat all reports like they are the gospel and refuse to produce the hard evidence to prove the claims. You will never get people to believe by simply trying to talk them into believing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 08:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
I believe they saw what they claim!

Last edited by rstevens62; 01-09-2021 at 09:01 AM..

Old 01-09-2021, 11:07 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Thats right, you just continue to think that all these reports are from people who dont know the size of eagle owls. The largest of which is probably a couple of feet high.

So, let me ask you this about your pretty much proven theory - what colour is the reflective eye-shine of an eagle owl? When have you seen eye-shine where there is no light shining to show the reflection off the back of the eye? Now consider how your theory stands up to proper scrutiny.
The wing span of an owl can be massive, because of what is needed for flight according to the laws of gravity, and it has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that people have trouble judging sizes when it is darkness obscures context. If has also been proven that fear causes people to exaggerate size.

Light often comes from odd angles, and is not obvious. Barn owls have red eyeshine:

My "theory" does just find under scrutiny. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:29 PM

583 posts, read 593,911 times
I live in WV. Never seen Mothman. I have had large owls fly over me at night and they look massive. Basically silent too so that makes them even more scary when they fly over. But when your eye first catches that owl flying over at dusk or in the dark it seems a lot bigger than what it in reality is.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:20 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Interesting website and page on the different types of owl. Either Blakiston's Fish/Eagle Owl or the Eurasian Eagle Owl are pretty much the largest owl and both have a wingspan of over 5m

Old 01-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I live in WV. Never seen Mothman. I have had large owls fly over me at night and they look massive. Basically silent too so that makes them even more scary when they fly over. But when your eye first catches that owl flying over at dusk or in the dark it seems a lot bigger than what it in reality is.
'Perceived wingspan' is only one aspect of it though....how do explain the descriptions of LONG, beak-like things on their head, or even long tails...owls have neither of these and both would be very obvious, even from a distance and/or at night.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:16 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
I reckon we need more cameras pointing UP rather than DOWN (watching us). I can process the all night video for sections of movement if someone can record it.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
'Perceived wingspan' is only one aspect of it though....how do explain the descriptions of LONG, beak-like things on their head, or even long tails...owls have neither of these and both would be very obvious, even from a distance and/or at night.
You're lumping everything together. Some could be pelicans? Some could be owls? Some could simply be blowing pieces of plastic or drones? We do know that all of those are 'real'. What you need is the proof that myth is based on fact and so far we have no evidence.

All living things die. It would be safe to say that all cryptic creatures also die. Granted that many creatures die out in the woods to never be seen by any human. But some do die where they are discovered. Birds of prey are myopic, they concentrate on their prey and sometimes ignore the big rig headed in their direction. In my fifteen years of trucking I had several large birds hit the windshield over my cab. I had that happen at night as well as in the day. I presume the night ones were owls and the day hits could have been anything from turkeys to hawks. It is not like you can avoid those collisions with 75' of truck and trailers. What I am saying is that sooner or later a large bird would die on our busy highways - but we don't have any now. So there is that possibility that they simply do no exist.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You're lumping everything together. Some could be pelicans? Some could be owls? Some could simply be blowing pieces of plastic or drones? We do know that all of those are 'real'. What you need is the proof that myth is based on fact and so far we have no evidence.

All living things die. It would be safe to say that all cryptic creatures also die. Granted that many creatures die out in the woods to never be seen by any human. But some do die where they are discovered. Birds of prey are myopic, they concentrate on their prey and sometimes ignore the big rig headed in their direction. In my fifteen years of trucking I had several large birds hit the windshield over my cab. I had that happen at night as well as in the day. I presume the night ones were owls and the day hits could have been anything from turkeys to hawks. It is not like you can avoid those collisions with 75' of truck and trailers. What I am saying is that sooner or later a large bird would die on our busy highways - but we don't have any now. So there is that possibility that they simply do no exist.
The debate whether cryptid critters are 'flesh and blood' rages back and forth, Many believe there is some supernatural aspect to them, and they are not entirely regular flesh and blood creatures. this debate is HOT right now within the Dogman world, some believers think they are just unknown animals that have somehow managed to evade contact with man (which is very unlikely imo), these people usually will say they believe these animals are what explains the historical 'werewolf'...in that, people were seeing something that looks human and assuming it must be a man that turned into a wolfman...others believe there is a more supernatural explanation...

Its basically the same debate for all cryptids.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The debate whether cryptid critters are 'flesh and blood' rages back and forth, Many believe there is some supernatural aspect to them, and they are not entirely regular flesh and blood creatures. this debate is HOT right now within the Dogman world, some believers think they are just unknown animals that have somehow managed to evade contact with man (which is very unlikely imo), these people usually will say they believe these animals are what explains the historical 'werewolf'...in that, people were seeing something that looks human and assuming it must be a man that turned into a wolfman...others believe there is a more supernatural explanation...

Its basically the same debate for all cryptids.
Any "real" animal will make a mistake. It will turn down a dead end alley, get caught on good trail cameras or security cameras, it will get hit and die crossing one of our very busy roads.

If you go with supernatural then you have to eliminate reports from people suffering from drug use or people with mental problems or even people with poor vision. As far as I know no one is testing any of the people making those reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal