Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:41 PM

4,025 posts, read 2,710,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is hard to believe that anybody could live in an attic without being discovered. Wood can squeak and groan as weight shifts. Even the little pitter-patty of scampering mice can give people alarm down below. Of course some houses are built stronger than others. But living in a dark attic one would think that eventually somebody would stub their toe or drop something and it would raise the alarm of the owners.

On the other hand it is easy to believe that a parent would attempt to protect their child or a loved one from the authorities. Which is what I believe happened here.

I just don't like stories that use second and third hand information. This story about the reason why the mother moved could have been made up to protect her real reason for moving? We need more information and a follow up to the original story to make sense out this.

I like to write stories, and I'd been thinking on something along these lines using homes I've lived in as models for 'could this be done'?

The home I grew up in--no. The attic was only accessible by a tiny little hole in the ceiling of the hall closet, and you had to take everything *out* of the closet, including the shelf and the coat rack to get to said hole. It was a PITA. And our basement was in constant use--washer and dryer were down there, us kids would play down there when the weather was bad and we were driving our parents nuts upstairs.

My first house as an adult. I'd say 'possible' somebody could have lived in the attic without my knowledge (once they got into the house somehow), when I was living alone with only a cat, since I had to go to work and the house would be empty for hours. Granted, a ladder would be needed, but they could pull that up behind them and drop it down when needed. That house was a townhouse with the garage and laundry room on the first floor, the living room and kitchen on the second, and the bedrooms on the third. And my garage door was *noisy* when it opened, so if I'd had an unknown attic tenant who was watching TV while I was at work, they'd hear the garage door and have plenty of time to get their butt back upstairs and get back into the attic before I even got into the house. But once my dogs came along, I'd have to say no, because said dogs were convinced *everybody* who entered that house were their best friends ever. They would have stood under the attic opening and whined for their friend to come out and play.

My current home, I'd have to say not likely. The crawlspace is 3.5 feet deep, which would be doable if you absolutely needed to, but we do put stuff down there and go down there every so often. Somebody'd be taking a big chance there. And right now, we have the door blocked with a lot of heavy boxes, so if somebody were living down there, they're stuck now. The attic might've been possible prior to the pandemic (again, presuming whoever it was kept absolutely still and quiet when we're upstairs in our bedrooms), but with the pandemic going on, there's pretty much somebody in the house 24/7 now--it'd be pretty hard for somebody to be that quiet for that long. And with three cats and two dogs in the house, too much chance of an animal giving them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 05:24 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,422,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
All roads do not lead to ghost! It is far more likely that a past tenant used it to protect a close friend or family member.

Show us any updates on this where somebody has actual information on the room. So far nobody has introduced an official study of the area or posted pictures. As far as we know maybe the mom split out without paying the rent and told her daughter this tale of the room? We need information to make informed judgements on what happened.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Old 01-16-2021, 06:26 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I like to write stories, and I'd been thinking on something along these lines using homes I've lived in as models for 'could this be done'?

The home I grew up in--no. The attic was only accessible by a tiny little hole in the ceiling of the hall closet, and you had to take everything *out* of the closet, including the shelf and the coat rack to get to said hole. It was a PITA. And our basement was in constant use--washer and dryer were down there, us kids would play down there when the weather was bad and we were driving our parents nuts upstairs.

My first house as an adult. I'd say 'possible' somebody could have lived in the attic without my knowledge (once they got into the house somehow), when I was living alone with only a cat, since I had to go to work and the house would be empty for hours. Granted, a ladder would be needed, but they could pull that up behind them and drop it down when needed. That house was a townhouse with the garage and laundry room on the first floor, the living room and kitchen on the second, and the bedrooms on the third. And my garage door was *noisy* when it opened, so if I'd had an unknown attic tenant who was watching TV while I was at work, they'd hear the garage door and have plenty of time to get their butt back upstairs and get back into the attic before I even got into the house. But once my dogs came along, I'd have to say no, because said dogs were convinced *everybody* who entered that house were their best friends ever. They would have stood under the attic opening and whined for their friend to come out and play.

My current home, I'd have to say not likely. The crawlspace is 3.5 feet deep, which would be doable if you absolutely needed to, but we do put stuff down there and go down there every so often. Somebody'd be taking a big chance there. And right now, we have the door blocked with a lot of heavy boxes, so if somebody were living down there, they're stuck now. The attic might've been possible prior to the pandemic (again, presuming whoever it was kept absolutely still and quiet when we're upstairs in our bedrooms), but with the pandemic going on, there's pretty much somebody in the house 24/7 now--it'd be pretty hard for somebody to be that quiet for that long. And with three cats and two dogs in the house, too much chance of an animal giving them away.
The house I grew up in which we tore down, absolutely. However, it would’ve been very uncomfortable in the winter. Although we had a garage door opener, the garage had been not attached to the house. Or maybe it was and they just made this thing that was weird that we called a breezeway. You walked out of the kitchen door and locked it you were in an enclosed porch. The porch had jealousy windows on each end and a small little furnace to keep it warm in the winter if you needed it. You took about four or five steps to step into the garage that door did not lock. The jealousy window doors did not lock either. In the garage there was a ladder that had been nailed up essentially 16 inch long 2x4’s nailed up the wall to make a ladder. Go up the ladder and you’re in the attic. We had insulation I believe on the roof line, and there was insulation over the ceiling joists. We did use that for storage of the Christmas decor items so there was some plywood placed up there over the joists so you could store that stuff but pretty much if you wanted to do it you could walk up and get in the attic and no one would hear you because it was a ranch house in the bedrooms were completely on the other side of the house. But we had a dog, and she was a barker. I think if somebody snuck into the breezeway and snuck into the garage she would’ve pitched some unholy racket.

But in all honesty, could’ve done it.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:24 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Did you even read what I wrote?
Of course I do. Have you ever seen proven evidence that ghost leave footprints? Have you seen proven evidence that this room is even there?

This whole story is full of holes. You have a grown woman trying to recall what happened when she was young. You have no police reports or documentation on this room. You have a story that you want to connect the dots and point to ghosts.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
By the way I totally missed jalousie typed as jealousy because I use talk to text. I’m not an idiot who thinks windows are jealousy windows.

And even if I type it, it keeps auto correcting to jealousy.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:19 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,003,654 times
My daughter went to school with a girl whose family discovered a vagrant had been living in their attic. He knew their schedule and while they were at work and school would use their home. Eat their food, shower watch TV etc. For years the daughter said that her parents were always yelling at her and her brother for the water bill telling them they were taking too long of showers, the food disappearing etc. One day the mom took sick at work and came home in late morning. Off the usual schedule and when she walked in her home there was a man standing in her kitchen. She ran out and called 911. The man took off of course. Police found that he had been living in the attic. Had a "room" set up there. They did chase down the man and arrest him. He related that he would come out when everyone left and would retire back to the attic for the evening night. It had been going on for a long time over a year at least.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:42 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,422,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
My daughter went to school with a girl whose family discovered a vagrant had been living in their attic. He knew their schedule and while they were at work and school would use their home. Eat their food, shower watch TV etc. For years the daughter said that her parents were always yelling at her and her brother for the water bill telling them they were taking too long of showers, the food disappearing etc. One day the mom took sick at work and came home in late morning. Off the usual schedule and when she walked in her home there was a man standing in her kitchen. She ran out and called 911. The man took off of course. Police found that he had been living in the attic. Had a "room" set up there. They did chase down the man and arrest him. He related that he would come out when everyone left and would retire back to the attic for the evening night. It had been going on for a long time over a year at least.
After that, they probably smartened up and put a padlock on that door.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:24 PM

19,369 posts, read 15,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Sounds like something George Costanza would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal