Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 10:36 PM

141 posts, read 83,976 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid we had a basement that would flood. Great fun for a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 10:00 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
People have found folks living in their attics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=man+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
All of these people were caught pretty quickly. Think about the kind of person who is forced to hide in a stranger's attic for shelter. They are not going to be the brightest bulbs, and they are going to make noise or leave a trail of spilled food behind, or fart real obnoxiously, or do something to give themselves away.

Most people would discover pretty quickly if there was someone living in their house. Unless you own a big mansion with 12 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms, maybe.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:16 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
All of these people were caught pretty quickly. Think about the kind of person who is forced to hide in a stranger's attic for shelter. They are not going to be the brightest bulbs, and they are going to make noise or leave a trail of spilled food behind, or fart real obnoxiously, or do something to give themselves away.

Most people would discover pretty quickly if there was someone living in their house. Unless you own a big mansion with 12 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms, maybe.
I was just surprised at how many incidents there are for "attic squatters".

Old 01-07-2021, 10:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

It is hard to believe that anybody could live in an attic without being discovered. Wood can squeak and groan as weight shifts. Even the little pitter-patty of scampering mice can give people alarm down below. Of course some houses are built stronger than others. But living in a dark attic one would think that eventually somebody would stub their toe or drop something and it would raise the alarm of the owners.

On the other hand it is easy to believe that a parent would attempt to protect their child or a loved one from the authorities. Which is what I believe happened here.

I just don't like stories that use second and third hand information. This story about the reason why the mother moved could have been made up to protect her real reason for moving? We need more information and a follow up to the original story to make sense out this.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:13 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
People have found folks living in their attics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=man+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Good link. Who knew there was so many people out there that had others living in their house and they didn't even know. I would be very nervous of living somewhere like that.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:20 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is hard to believe that anybody could live in an attic without being discovered. Wood can squeak and groan as weight shifts. Even the little pitter-patty of scampering mice can give people alarm down below. Of course some houses are built stronger than others. But living in a dark attic one would think that eventually somebody would stub their toe or drop something and it would raise the alarm of the owners.

On the other hand it is easy to believe that a parent would attempt to protect their child or a loved one from the authorities. Which is what I believe happened here.

I just don't like stories that use second and third hand information. This story about the reason why the mother moved could have been made up to protect her real reason for moving? We need more information and a follow up to the original story to make sense out this.
It could definitely be fake as other posters have commented. And since nobody ever noticed any noise up there or mentioned any food wrappers thrown on the floor or trash bin in the room, if it really did happen , it was likely a ghost.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:22 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
It could definitely be fake as other posters have commented. And since nobody ever noticed any noise up there or mentioned any food wrappers thrown on the floor or trash bin in the room, if it really did happen , it was likely a ghost.
All roads do not lead to ghost! It is far more likely that a past tenant used it to protect a close friend or family member.

Show us any updates on this where somebody has actual information on the room. So far nobody has introduced an official study of the area or posted pictures. As far as we know maybe the mom split out without paying the rent and told her daughter this tale of the room? We need information to make informed judgements on what happened.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Not to be sexist, but it seems like women are more unaware about their surroundings and the people who are around them. I think men would tend to take more notice of someone being in their house.

Which is strange since you would think that women would naturally be more cautious and observant.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:30 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
It makes me wonder why if a child lived there, they didn't take that stuff when they moved out? And why instead of cleaning it out after they were gone, the next inhabitants just decided to board it up.
Really? I have a different take. There was a fire in that room, and a child died. The parents boarded it up because they could not bear to look at it or remove the traces of the child.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:20 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I have a different take. There was a fire in that room, and a child died. The parents boarded it up because they could not bear to look at it or remove the traces of the child.
That was my suspicion, too. It looked like it was done up as a bedroom or a playroom, and it wasn't closed with a door -- it was totally boarded up. A kerosene lantern knocked over or the like could start a fire that would kill a child playing or sleeping up there before they could get her out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal