Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 09:41 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,909,871 times

Advertisements

I liked "Paranormal: Fact or Faked" and will definitely have a look at Ben Hansen's new series. I cut the cable cord about three years ago, and have a high-speed internet connection plus YouTube TV. Last time I checked, it's the only streaming service that offers unlimited cloud DVR recording and the channels I want. Between Youtube TV and the other streaming services I subscribe to, I'm not saving money - but that's not the reason I cut the cord. I now get exactly the shows I want, live and recorded, and there's no upsells or tons of channels I don't want or need. And there are streaming channels like HBO and CBS All Access that I will reactivate for a few weeks to watch a series, then deactivate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 PM

12,714 posts, read 9,220,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I liked "Paranormal: Fact or Faked" and will definitely have a look at Ben Hansen's new series. I cut the cable cord about three years ago, and have a high-speed internet connection plus YouTube TV. Last time I checked, it's the only streaming service that offers unlimited cloud DVR recording and the channels I want. Between Youtube TV and the other streaming services I subscribe to, I'm not saving money - but that's not the reason I cut the cord. I now get exactly the shows I want, live and recorded, and there's no upsells or tons of channels I don't want or need. And there are streaming channels like HBO and CBS All Access that I will reactivate for a few weeks to watch a series, then deactivate.
I believe you'll have to subscribe to Discovery+ to get Hansen's new program. $5/month. Seems like everybody has an "add-on" streaming service nowadays.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I believe you'll have to subscribe to Discovery+ to get Hansen's new program. $5/month. Seems like everybody has an "add-on" streaming service nowadays.
Yeah, all of my streaming services plus my high speed internet are costing me more than cable did. They're nickeling and diming us to death.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:33 PM

22,319 posts, read 11,832,049 times
Quote:
Yeah, all of my streaming services plus my high speed internet are costing me more than cable did. They're nickeling and diming us to death.
So true. Just the other day we were talking about all these streaming services, Netflix, Hulu, Discovery Plus, CBS All Access, etc. We have none of those. Right now, we have a package from FIOS, which with our internet isn't cheap, but the package doesn't even include HBO or Showtime. We have lots of channels that we don't even watch. It's all getting out of hand.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:52 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,151,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So true. Just the other day we were talking about all these streaming services, Netflix, Hulu, Discovery Plus, CBS All Access, etc. We have none of those. Right now, we have a package from FIOS, which with our internet isn't cheap, but the package doesn't even include HBO or Showtime. We have lots of channels that we don't even watch. It's all getting out of hand.
That’s one of the reasons that cable and satellite subscribers are declining. I thought it was extremely strange the last time dish network had a huge fight with CBS that on the deleted CBS channel there informational was about not just the we want to save us money yada yada, but that if you go buy a antenna off of Amazon or at your Best Buy you can get your local channels for free over the air.

On one hand that sounds like old-fashioned customer service, on the other hand that sounds like you’re cutting your nose off to spite your face. We went and got an antenna and saved six dollars a month.

From what I read, and how many people I know that don’t even use cable or satellite anymore, it sounds like the future of cable and satellite is — there isn’t going to be cable and satellite. They need to reinvent themselves. They might do that. The entertainment media industry entirely is undergoing a very probably painful change. And who knows where it will end up?

Old 01-23-2021, 06:55 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,617,005 times
All those streaming services look like good deals until your ISP starts increasing their rates and imposing data caps. The cable companies that provide internet service are already doing that.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,470,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
All those streaming services look like good deals until your ISP starts increasing their rates and imposing data caps. The cable companies that provide internet service are already doing that.
Its funny to think, that originally, the 'world wide web' was supposed to be totally free to everyone!

Old 01-24-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its funny to think, that originally, the 'world wide web' was supposed to be totally free to everyone!
The world wide web *is* free -- it's the services and applications that run on it that charge you money.

https://wellkeptwallet.com/free-internet/

Old 01-25-2021, 12:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,470,572 times
Quote:
The world wide web *is* free -- it's the services and applications that run on it that charge you money.

https://wellkeptwallet.com/free-internet/
That is debatable...I pay around $70 a month JUST to have access to the WWW, (that is before any extra services or apps that cost money)...

If I stopped paying that fee, I would not be able to access the internet anymore from home.

Its slowly turning into just another utility, that they can 'run thru a meter' for sale to the public.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is debatable...I pay around $70 a month JUST to have access to the WWW, (that is before any extra services or apps that cost money)...
And you're paying a service $70 a month to use their broadband connection - you're paying to use their wires and hardware to access the internet. The world wide web is simply a set of protocols for interconnecting data that's accessed via the internet.

https://www.govtech.com/archive/Who-...fographic.html

You can get on the internet at home for free -- see the article I linked in my previous post. You won't get the same speed you would with a $70 a month plan, and you will be limited in the number of hours you can spend online per month:

https://store.netzero.net/account/sh...ceId=nz-dialup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal