Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 02:59 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,475,204 times

Advertisements

There's a cool million in it for you.

But didn't Houdini already try something like that?

Can Robert Bigelow (and the Rest of Us) Survive Death?
Mr. Bigelow is not just anyone, or any 75-year-old mourning a wife and confronting his own mortality. He’s a maverick Las Vegas real estate and aerospace mogul with billionaire allure and the resources to fund his restless curiosity embracing outer and inner space, U.F.O.s and the spirit realm.
Now he’s offering nearly $1 million in prizes for the best evidence for “the survival of consciousness after permanent bodily death.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/s...ter-death.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 04:40 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
There's a cool million in it for you.

But didn't Houdini already try something like that?

Can Robert Bigelow (and the Rest of Us) Survive Death?
Mr. Bigelow is not just anyone, or any 75-year-old mourning a wife and confronting his own mortality. He’s a maverick Las Vegas real estate and aerospace mogul with billionaire allure and the resources to fund his restless curiosity embracing outer and inner space, U.F.O.s and the spirit realm.
Now he’s offering nearly $1 million in prizes for the best evidence for “the survival of consciousness after permanent bodily death.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/s...ter-death.html
Sounds similar to the plot to Hell House. Great movie.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:21 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,999,758 times
There are many signs out there that say: "Is-There-Life-After-Death-Trespass-Here-And-Find-Out". I have one but we always felt it was a little too unsociable to post at the end of the driveway.

As far as Mr. Bigelow I am not a fan. My feeling is that he would take advantage of public money anyway he could, like his association with Harry Reid.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:28 PM

6,901 posts, read 6,808,716 times
Ahh...this kind of thing has to be taken on faith, although you would think that the subject is kind-of in the realm of religion.

Actually, it is more likely we can go some way to proving consciousness survives physical death, but this is the same with anything we cannot measure or poke with a stick. Science only acknowledges what it wants to acknowledge. Dont forget Bigelow is snugly in bed with the government.

Psychiatry is a recognised discipline, but it only describes conditions as illnesses which are out of the 'norm' which means there is someone or some body of doctors deciding what is normal for people. Hearing voices in your head talking to you is not something many people have on a daily basis so it is an illness.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,353,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Ahh...this kind of thing has to be taken on faith, although you would think that the subject is kind-of in the realm of religion.

Actually, it is more likely we can go some way to proving consciousness survives physical death, but this is the same with anything we cannot measure or poke with a stick. Science only acknowledges what it wants to acknowledge. Dont forget Bigelow is snugly in bed with the government.

Psychiatry is a recognised discipline, but it only describes conditions as illnesses which are out of the 'norm' which means there is someone or some body of doctors deciding what is normal for people. Hearing voices in your head talking to you is not something many people have on a daily basis so it is an illness.
What an insult to every scientist and doctor on the planet. Good grief. Your not a flat-earther are you?

There is a saying I love repeating...Science flies men to the moon....Religion flies men into buildings.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,454,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are many signs out there that say: "Is-There-Life-After-Death-Trespass-Here-And-Find-Out". I have one but we always felt it was a little too unsociable to post at the end of the driveway.

As far as Mr. Bigelow I am not a fan. My feeling is that he would take advantage of public money anyway he could, like his association with Harry Reid.
I agree, Bigelow is not into this for the reasons people think...ultimately he and Reid were hoping these discoveries would lead to them being able to create new military and weapons technology.

Its kind of scary to think they would weaponize discoveries like this!!

Old 02-01-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7
There is a saying I love repeating...Science flies men to the moon....Religion flies men into buildings.
I feel that is rather sad because there is so much more to the whole subject of consciousness than just flying to the Moon. There is more to religion and beliefs than what we give them credit for. They had the right idea but it became corrupted by human greed for power.

Maybe you need to modify your saying to be
Science flies men to the Moon...Consciousness flies men through buildings.

Which would you rather do - get in a rocket and go to the Moon or explore the multiverse with your consciousness? You can have your rockets any day.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:53 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,353,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I feel that is rather sad because there is so much more to the whole subject of consciousness than just flying to the Moon. There is more to religion and beliefs than what we give them credit for. They had the right idea but it became corrupted by human greed for power.

Maybe you need to modify your saying to be
Science flies men to the Moon...Consciousness flies men through buildings.

Which would you rather do - get in a rocket and go to the Moon or explore the multiverse with your consciousness? You can have your rockets any day.
I am with you 100%. I am condemning religion by the way, most of it anyway but not denying the power of the mind. It isn't science vs. consciousness, science one day will be able to explain consciousness, to this day most scientists admit they aren't sure what it is or how to measure it but they don't deny it or it's potential power.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:32 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 2 days ago)

19,666 posts, read 20,477,898 times
When you dead, YOU DEAD.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:21 AM

well Karl, apparently there are LOADS of people just hanging there in the darkness, unmoving mostly and unresponsive too. They think there is no continuation of consciousness so as they believe, so it is...until they realise that they have some awareness and then start to wonder where they are or what is happening to them. How long they stay there - who knows? Thankfully, as soon as they start to have a glimmer of awareness, along comes someone to interact with them and take them away to somewhere better. Allegedly.

I suppose the good thing is, if there is nothing then no-one will know anything more after the death of the physical body. Maybe we have all been kidding ourselves to make ourself feel better about dying. Thats a possibility.

At least you could be open to the possibility that there might be something afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal