Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Do you recall a constant smell of cigarettes and alcohol in your childhood home?

Did your parents call each other by names not mentionable here, or throw ashtrays or other objects at each other?

Ohh what you don't know....

What would scare me is if a child were not PTSD or otherwise affected by such incidents
Yes on all, but I don't see how that's on topic here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 10:58 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Yes on all, but I don't see how that's on topic here?
Really? You again??

Well then you'd understand how my mind creates these false memories of notable people dying who are still kicking.

It's very much on topic because in addition to the experiences, discussion of the root cause is also important.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 02-21-2021 at 11:21 AM..

Old 02-21-2021, 11:06 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Really?

Well then you'd understand how my mind creates these false memories of notable people dying who are still kicking.

It's very much on topic because in addition to the experiences, discussion of the root cause is also important.

Does your mind produce other false memories? Like things you believe you have done or places you think you have visited but in reality none of those things happened?

Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Does your mind produce other false memories? Like
things you believe you have done or places you think you have
visited but in reality none of those things happened?

Yes: Lights I 'thought' I turned off or on, but didn't. Not flushing the toilet when I thought I did. Not disengaging the parking/emergency brake when I thought I did. Rudimentary stuff like that. No grand destinations, though.

Like I said, if my brain was an amusement park attraction, there would be very few second riders!

Old 02-21-2021, 01:41 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Is that like the Miracle at Fatima, when in 1915, many thousands of Portuguese people swore one day that they saw the sun spin around fast and plunge to the ground and the sky turned black, and the Virgin Mary spoke to them? But somehow it was not witnessed anywhere else in the world?

A particularly strange incident even noted by non-believers at the event.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yes, The Mandela Effect is quite a well-known phenomena - not proven of course, but many people suspect something might be happening. Lots of people think it is a problem with our brains, a type of pareidolia whereby we think we have heard something previously as our brain tries to match up things for us.

Personally, I think it is a time-line jump, but thats a little waaaay out there for some people.
Only for "some" people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That is the definition of a miracle: Something for which there is no rational, scientific explanation. If divine intervention is the only explanation, you have a miracle.

Now, you can believe disbelieve in miracles. But you can't discount them for being what they claim to be.
Oh my gosh. Who exactly is doing this "divine intervention"? YOUR "god" or someone else's? And would you believe it if someone else's "god" is doing it? (Sorry, Mark S., I don't mean to pick on you -- but this is the same kind of thing I see in the Religion forums -- people believe so strongly in THEIR religion without acknowledging the very basic, very simple fact that OTHER people believe in THEIR religion just as strongly ... and it likely contradicts the original person's religion. But oh, no, THEIRS is "true," all others are false ... and of course the OTHER person believes the same thing about THEIR religion. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
So I'm watching the tonight show with Jimmy Fallon last night, live, and (anyone else see it?) and he had on John Wayne as his guest? I could have sworn the Duke died decades ago but there he was....frail as sh*t but still the Duke. I fell outta my chair. I'm not the only one that saw this right?
Really? You just watched it the night before and somehow saw a "live" version of a long-dead person?

===

Do you all know NOTHING about how memories work? They are not reliable indicators of "reality" -- as any police detective or psychologist could tell you.

My more basic question is, Why on earth would you IMMEDIATELY go to some sort of supernatural explanation?

Old 02-22-2021, 01:51 AM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I'll hear about a celebrity that just died and think they died years ago.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:08 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Only for "some" people?

Oh my gosh. Who exactly is doing this "divine intervention"? YOUR "god" or someone else's? And would you believe it if someone else's "god" is doing it? (Sorry, Mark S., I don't mean to pick on you -- but this is the same kind of thing I see in the Religion forums -- people believe so strongly in THEIR religion without acknowledging the very basic, very simple fact that OTHER people believe in THEIR religion just as strongly ... and it likely contradicts the original person's religion. But oh, no, THEIRS is "true," all others are false ... and of course the OTHER person believes the same thing about THEIR religion. )

Really? You just watched it the night before and somehow saw a "live" version of a long-dead person?

===

Do you all know NOTHING about how memories work? They are not reliable indicators of "reality" -- as any police detective or psychologist could tell you.

My more basic question is, Why on earth would you IMMEDIATELY go to some sort of supernatural explanation?
Mine was a joke about John Wayne, thought more people would realize I was joking.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Mine was a joke about John Wayne, thought more people would realize I was joking.
LOL, That was a pretty normal post for this section so it was considered a serious post.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:04 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Those who identify this as the Mandela Effect are correct. It got its name from people who said, after Nelson Mandela died, that they remembered him dying in prison sometime in the 1970's. (If they were remembering anything I assume the real-life referent was to Steve Biko, an anti-apartheid activist who was murdered by the South African police in custody in 1977.)

It's purely a matter of mistaken memories. If you want to indulge in a tour of some of the most absurd beliefs people have, definitely google it. It covers the waterfront, from the Berenstain Bears (always spelled with an "a", because that was the last name of the authors), to the spelling of Oscar Mayer (there was even a song about the spelling; it was never changed), to where the figure in Rodin's sculpture "The Thinker" is holding his hand (I've seen it; it was always in the chin) and on and on.

If you're interested in this phenomenon spend some time talking to your siblings about events when you were growing up. I predict that you will find certain incidents where you and a sibling are equally convinced that some event happened in a particular way, but your memories of what happened are directly contradictory.

Occam's Razor: which is more likely, that something happened that suddenly changed every photograph in the world of "The Thinker" from having his hand on his forehead to having his hand on his chin, or that some number of people, who had never seen the sculpture in person, had a vague but mistaken recollection of this detail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal