Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 09:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,437,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Fun fact: "Transparent" ghosts are largely an invention of literature and film, beginning in England in the 19th century. In older tales of ghosts --- and even some of the more modern ones --- the person often had no idea they were interacting with a ghost until afterward, when they learned the person had died. The ghost looked just as real as anyone.

Here is a review of a book about that:

How Ghosts Became Transparent, and Other Spectral Evolutions
https://hyperallergic.com/410649/the...tural-history/

Which is why when I hear of people reportedly seeing a transparent spirit or disembodied parts floating around, I have doubts that what they saw was a ghost.
The ghost has been around much longer than that...

Even if you are not religious, the bible mentions when Jesus appeared to the Apostles after being crucified, they presumed him to be a 'ghost'...(meaning the word was in use at that time and their belief was, a ghost is the spirit of a once living person.

Im not sure if there are earlier references to 'ghosts', although I imagine there are, if the Apostles knew the word.

The 'ghost' I saw, didnt look human at all, but it did have a transparent-ish/ smokey appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 10:53 AM

11,922 posts, read 8,247,703 times
I don't know of any way one could have a conversation with a child about a ghost other than speculative or historical.

I'd have trouble knowing if it were a wraith, a phantom, a spectre, a spook, an apparition or a revenant or whether it was just some misplaced molecules acting counter to known laws of physics.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:35 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,129,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That was a great story! Thanks for sharing
My father was an amazing man. There’s a reason that all three of his daughters at 68,67 and 61 still call him Daddy. And always will.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:59 PM

22,843 posts, read 28,084,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The ghost has been around much longer than that...

Even if you are not religious, the bible mentions when Jesus appeared to the Apostles after being crucified, they presumed him to be a 'ghost'...(meaning the word was in use at that time and their belief was, a ghost is the spirit of a once living person.

Im not sure if there are earlier references to 'ghosts', although I imagine there are, if the Apostles knew the word.

The 'ghost' I saw, didnt look human at all, but it did have a transparent-ish/ smokey appearance.

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

Yes. Ghosts have been around for thousands of years. Tales of ghosts are probably pre-historic.

But transparent ghosts? Those are an invention of literature, theater, and film. Those are only a couple of centuries old.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:51 PM

7,940 posts, read 7,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What are YOU telling your kids?
What SHOULD we be telling our kids about ghosts and can they talk to us about them if they have concerns?
I told my kids that ghosts are awesome! They are featured on lots of cartoons and movies and stuff.

My younger son used to call for me shortly after I put him to bed. This was a ritual that went on for a while. When I got to his room he would tell me he's afraid of "skeletons", which I guess he saw on a TV show. I would look out the window and yell at the "skeletons" to leave because they are scaring my son! I'd even pretend they were talking back and then I'd say "No, you go away now!" And my son would giggle. I really don't think he was afraid of "skeletons"; I think he just want to see me go through the ritual!

Everyone knows there is no such thing as ghosts, but it's fun to pretend they are real!

Old 04-24-2021, 02:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,437,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You didn't actually read the article, did you?

Yes. Ghosts have been around for thousands of years. Tales of ghosts are probably pre-historic.

But transparent ghosts? Those are an invention of literature, theater, and film. Those are only a couple of centuries old.
Well, the thing I saw in my Girlfriends stairwell had a 'transparent' look to it...''ghost' is the best thing I can think of to describe what it was...

Maybe 'transparent' is not the right word to use for the thing I saw...it looked like a ball of grayish smoke, that was somewhat see thru, it was not a thick smoke, and did not really behave like smoke does...its hard for me to find words to adequately describe it. ( I can still see it in my head clear as the day it happened...about 26 yrs ago).

Old 04-24-2021, 09:26 PM

6,901 posts, read 6,803,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994
Everyone knows there is no such thing as ghosts, but it's fun to pretend they are real!
Yet, there are many things which are still not proven as real, but we can see the result. There are plenty of people who are experiencing what they call ghosts either intelligent or residual ones. Just because science has not pronounced them as real does not mean they do not exist.

In science they "pretend" things are real(called hypotheses), then they devise experiments to "prove" it, dont they? As atoms became more and more familiar to science people started to "pretend" there were smaller and smaller pieces to the puzzle and then eventually they observed them as "real". (I put real in quotes because we dont actually know if anything exists outside of an observation of it, do we?) So, why are ghosties not "real" too?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:17 PM

7,940 posts, read 7,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yet, there are many things which are still not proven as real, but we can see the result. There are plenty of people who are experiencing what they call ghosts either intelligent or residual ones. Just because science has not pronounced them as real does not mean they do not exist.

In science they "pretend" things are real(called hypotheses), then they devise experiments to "prove" it, dont they? As atoms became more and more familiar to science people started to "pretend" there were smaller and smaller pieces to the puzzle and then eventually they observed them as "real". (I put real in quotes because we dont actually know if anything exists outside of an observation of it, do we?) So, why are ghosties not "real" too?
In general terms, when talking to children, ghosts are not real. Since this is your thread and you chose the title, you should realized what a child's concept of a ghost is, and that kids are not thinking in scientific terms. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to watch The Ghost Chasers or whatever they're called (we watched the "Dude! Dude!" guys on one of the cable channels) and we always rooted for them to find actual proof.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:56 PM

6,901 posts, read 6,803,094 times
Quote:
In general terms, when talking to children, ghosts are not real.
Not sure what you mean here. Many kids see ghosts or spirits, so how come they are not real? More kids see spirits than we realize and most natural mediums have the ability since childhood.

No, of course kids dont know about science yet, but they do realize when they report something which is not fully in our 3D like you are I are at the moment. This to them is a ghost.

So, for you there is no such thing as a ghost and everything is 3D physical?

Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 AM

19,603 posts, read 20,054,858 times
I don't have children, but if I did......I know we'd be having ourselves a good laugh

*Trigger Warning*

[There's a ghost, don't say I didn't warn you...]

Ghost Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz1W...LHtG&index=158
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal