Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:02 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times

Advertisements

Old churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 09:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
The internet itself should be haunted.

(Maybe it is)
That is interesting to think about actually.

My ex mother in law was a very devout religious person, (Pentecostal), she told me many times she would never have a computer in her home, because she believed 'demons' traveled thru the internet and could gain access to people that way...she was not joking either.

Im guessing she heard a preacher or someone at the church say this and it made sense to her, so she considers it gospel now.

I definitely do not believe that, but I have wondered whether or not 'higher beings' can access the internet and possibly even communicate, if they are nothing but a form of energy, it may be possible.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Old churches.
Another common thought. And I don’t know why. Why would you think an old church would be haunted?

My parents and I went to the second oldest church where I grew up. The church itself was over 100 years old. It was one of those Christmas card churches. The white clapboard building with the big steeple in the front and the Stain glass windows down the sides. It was beautiful. My parents encouraged me to join MYF. Methodist youth fellowship. One of the things that we did was we sold hoagies. I went door to door and people ordered hoagies from me. I can’t imagine anybody doing that today. Anyhow…

We also made the hoagies, and we had to start very early in the morning. So the night before the whole of the MYF stayed at the church. Churches back in the day had the church, but it had a finished basement that was a very nicely kid it out meeting room with kitchen facilities. In the 30s and 40s, it was very common to get married upstairs in the church, and go downstairs for the reception. The church ladies would put together a small little thing coffee tea water cake cookies that kind of thing receptions were very different back then unless you had money which nobody did. So that’s where we were going to put together the sandwiches. The big kids stayed upstairs in the church, the little kids I was a little kid stay downstairs in the kitchen area. We were much closer to the bathroom. I think they did that on purpose.

So I can attest, the only thing that happened that night was the big kids came down while the minister was sleeping on an air mattress and stuffed all their shoes under the air mattress and let some of the air out while he slept. I still laugh about that — I know it’s kind of dumb.

And the next morning we got to have breakfast and it was the first time I had ever had those little boxes of cereal, where you cut the box and it makes its own bowl. I couldn’t believe that anything could be any neater than that. That was just an amazing thing. And then we put together the hoagies, each of us manning a station, and then our parents came to pick us up and we delivered them.

I think it’s because out of the whole realm of all the paranormal things, to me, ghosts are the most logical thing that could happen. But also, I generally think that if ghosts are real, they are created out of strong emotion. Negative emotion. You don’t hear many ghost stories of happy ghosts. You hear stories of murder victims, men who died at war, agony. People with unfinished business. So I would think most churches would not be haunted.

Although I’ve heard of a few Catholic churches that the priests could not let go. Millvale, PA — The Catholic Church there is haunted by a priest that died about 100 years ago. He still watches over the place.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Another common thought. And I don’t know why. Why would you think an old church would be haunted?

My parents and I went to the second oldest church where I grew up. The church itself was over 100 years old. It was one of those Christmas card churches. The white clapboard building with the big steeple in the front and the Stain glass windows down the sides. It was beautiful. My parents encouraged me to join MYF. Methodist youth fellowship. One of the things that we did was we sold hoagies. I went door to door and people ordered hoagies from me. I can’t imagine anybody doing that today. Anyhow…

We also made the hoagies, and we had to start very early in the morning. So the night before the whole of the MYF stayed at the church. Churches back in the day had the church, but it had a finished basement that was a very nicely kid it out meeting room with kitchen facilities. In the 30s and 40s, it was very common to get married upstairs in the church, and go downstairs for the reception. The church ladies would put together a small little thing coffee tea water cake cookies that kind of thing receptions were very different back then unless you had money which nobody did. So that’s where we were going to put together the sandwiches. The big kids stayed upstairs in the church, the little kids I was a little kid stay downstairs in the kitchen area. We were much closer to the bathroom. I think they did that on purpose.

So I can attest, the only thing that happened that night was the big kids came down while the minister was sleeping on an air mattress and stuffed all their shoes under the air mattress and let some of the air out while he slept. I still laugh about that — I know it’s kind of dumb.

And the next morning we got to have breakfast and it was the first time I had ever had those little boxes of cereal, where you cut the box and it makes its own bowl. I couldn’t believe that anything could be any neater than that. That was just an amazing thing. And then we put together the hoagies, each of us manning a station, and then our parents came to pick us up and we delivered them.

I think it’s because out of the whole realm of all the paranormal things, to me, ghosts are the most logical thing that could happen. But also, I generally think that if ghosts are real, they are created out of strong emotion. Negative emotion. You don’t hear many ghost stories of happy ghosts. You hear stories of murder victims, men who died at war, agony. People with unfinished business. So I would think most churches would not be haunted.

Although I’ve heard of a few Catholic churches that the priests could not let go. Millvale, PA — The Catholic Church there is haunted by a priest that died about 100 years ago. He still watches over the place.
Churches are also 'sacred ground'...Not really trying to turn this into a religious thread, but 'spirits' are possibly connected to religion (demons/angels/watchers, etc).

We dont really know what a ghost is, it very well could be a demon or angel of some kind, or some lower form of energy...that could explain why churches are not haunted that often or have other 'supernatural/paranormal' activity reported.

Plus, (although Im not sure about it), I have read many incidents where people will call on God/Jesus when they see something supernatural or paranormal and 9 times out of 10, it makes the negative entity vanish...there are implications to this if the reports are accurate (and its scary to think about too).

Old 04-29-2021, 11:31 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Derry, Maine

Old 04-29-2021, 02:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
New York City. There have been wars, psychopaths, you name it - dating back since before its inception as part of a colony.

The movie Ghostbusters was brilliant in picking NYC as its backdrop, imho.

There is also a place in NorCal - a rest area on the way from Hwy 101 to Redding, CA that I had a horrible feeling at one night when we headed back to Trinidad from Redding. I didnt even bother to get out of the car and simply waited for my husband.

I cant say anything really happened other than it suddenly got very windy and I had the creepy feeling that we were being watched. When my husband returned he simply said, "Let's get out of here." We later learned some of the history of that very location. It was a prime spot where bandits would lay in wait for miners attempting to take gold back to San Francisco.

I have a feeling anywhere that experienced a lot of violence would have the best chance of holding onto those strong emotions and negative feelings that make for a good haunting.

I work in a hospital and many people speculate that it is haunted. I dont know, some strange things have happened but if I had a choice of where my spirit was going to spend eternity I would imagine a hospital would be my absolute last choice.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 04-29-2021 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 01:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
The site of the Twin Towers.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:33 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
Willowbrook in Staten Island, NY. It's a college campus now. I can easily imagine the spirits of the poor tortured souls who lived there still crying out for help and justice.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:56 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Verdun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal