Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM

644 posts, read 401,576 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has seen countless ghost footage (and not the for-entertainment ghost show variety), will probably become familiar with two key behaviors that apparitions exhibit.

One consistency is that these encounters tend to be extremely brief, usually lasting only a second or two. This confronts the notion that many people have, that being that an apparition will persist long enough to take questions or be approached.

Type A) The spirit can be seen briefly in transit between two places, such as between doorways, across the threshold of a window/door, down a hallway etc. These tend to go unnoticed by nearby observers, hence finding them later when rewatching footage. Also the apparition itself often does not seem to have any awareness of those filming.

Type B) The spirit can be observed peering partially around a corner. These seem to be very common in videos, usually only a head and hand being exposed momentarily before slinking back into cover. Those behind the camera are either caught completely off guard, causing a fright and unfortunately blurring the film as they jump in reaction. Or they, like type A, do not see it in the moment. Very creepy indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 02:25 PM

22,825 posts, read 28,049,079 times
Can you provide an example of what you deem an authentic ghost encounter? I have never seen one that I didn't think was either faked or inconclusive.

I actually believe in ghosts. But I'm super skeptical that video or audio recording equipment can "detect" them. How can the material detect the immaterial?

Old 10-04-2021, 02:52 PM

644 posts, read 401,576 times
I do not believe in ghosts, I really enjoy creepy which has an air of plausibility. This is a sample I had on my drive which is not authentic in the way you're probably looking for but that I consider to be well done.
Sorry for the atmospheric music since it was pulled from a compilation. The gentleman claims that he and his wife had long been hearing noises in their basement. She insists that it is just the cats. While she was out, the man encounters the noises again while knowing that both cats are elsewhere in the house so he decides to investigate with a camera to prove his wife wrong.

I believe it is fake since any normal person would book it out of the house and promptly sell the property, but in the full video he immediately continues down the stairs (without cut) and finds nothing there.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Well, if cats were involved, then it is obviously the Forces of Darkness.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:58 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times
My late husband, who was not a believer, even though this… was at a friends house one day when he was about 17. They’d been smoking some weed, enjoying television, and the friend asked if he wanted a drink. The friend was out in the kitchen grabbing them some sodas, and my husband turned around and saw a little old lady standing there smiling at him. She was dressed very old-fashioned, but not unlike older Italian women dressed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. So in his head it didn’t look weird because he was at his Italian friends house.

My late husband spoke to her very nicely said hello told her his name. And she just smiled, nodded, and my husband figured maybe she didn’t speak much English. His friend walked back into the living room and hubs turned to him and said I just met your grandmother. His friend looked at him and said my grandmother lives in Ohio. Hubs turned back to the lady and she was gone.

Friend looked at hubs and said old lady dressed in black? Hub nodded his head, friend laughed and said oh yeah we see her every once in a while, she used to live here.

My husband died two years ago, nothing’s happened. Thought I thought I had a sign once, I went to my Dr.‘s new office which was in the same little complex where my husband received radiotherapy every day for three months, got into my car and smelled chocolate. After he got his radiation he would grab a piece of chocolate the drs provided to have on the road home. About a week later I found the melted malted milk ball. Since I had had malted milk balls the few days before, and I knew I had dropped one but I thought I got it. Apparently I missed one.

So I’m not actually a believer either, but out of all of the realms of the paranormal, ghosts seem the most viable paranormal experience.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,056,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

That photo made a believer out of me!

Old 10-04-2021, 07:01 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times
Quote:

Sphinx’s are cute. Look at those little toe beans.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,416,137 times
Quote:
Can you provide an example of what you deem an authentic ghost encounter? I have never seen one that I didn't think was either faked or inconclusive.

I actually believe in ghosts. But I'm super skeptical that video or audio recording equipment can "detect" them. How can the material detect the immaterial?
Not trying to change the subject, but Ive heard many people say, (in relation to UFO sightings), they can see it with the naked eye, but when they attempt to take a picture or video, the camera sees nothing...and vice versa, they cannot see it with the naked eye, but the camera picks it up.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not trying to change the subject, but Ive heard many people say, (in relation to UFO sightings), they can see it with the naked eye, but when they attempt to take a picture or video, the camera sees nothing...and vice versa, they cannot see it with the naked eye, but the camera picks it up.
To which I would say:

How do you know your eye is seeing anything at all? All an eye does is detect various bits on the light spectrum and relay the info to your brain. What if ghosts are bypassing the eye altogether and accessing the brain directly?

No way to prove it either way. But it's a thought.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My late husband, who was not a believer, even though this… was at a friends house one day when he was about 17. They’d been smoking some weed, enjoying television, and the friend asked if he wanted a drink. The friend was out in the kitchen grabbing them some sodas, and my husband turned around and saw a little old lady standing there smiling at him. She was dressed very old-fashioned, but not unlike older Italian women dressed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. So in his head it didn’t look weird because he was at his Italian friends house.

My late husband spoke to her very nicely said hello told her his name. And she just smiled, nodded, and my husband figured maybe she didn’t speak much English. His friend walked back into the living room and hubs turned to him and said I just met your grandmother. His friend looked at him and said my grandmother lives in Ohio. Hubs turned back to the lady and she was gone.

Friend looked at hubs and said old lady dressed in black? Hub nodded his head, friend laughed and said oh yeah we see her every once in a while, she used to live here.
That sounds like a genuine ghost encounter. If you read ghost stories from past centuries, in most of them, the person had no clue he or she was seeing and speaking with a ghost. The ghost looked just like any other person.

It's why I am so skeptical of such stories as transparent ghosty-whosties and orbs and mists. Those are the invention of the stage, later taken up by the movies. It would not be unlike a sudden spate of Thor sightings across the globe, all of whom described Chris Hemsworth. That alone should be a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My husband died two years ago, nothing’s happened.
Whatever ghosts may be, if they are indeed an apparition of a deceased person, there is no reason to think it happens to everyone. Who knows why some people might "pass on" and others linger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal