U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2021, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,713 posts, read 16,661,605 times
Reputation: 14648

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure how it is in PA right now, but from the businesses I frequent from day to day, majority of them are clearly having staffing issues, (many openly admit they cannot find employees)...


The company I work for has the same problem, and (since we were bought out), we are now owned by the #1 largest gas station/ C store chain in the world, 14K locations worldwide, Many times, our stores have a single person working, Managers are now permitted to close early/open late for non 24 hour stores.


Automation is not even being considered in our stores, it wouldnt be able to match what human employees can do.
The article did say "implementing or exploring" AI. In many cases, it will go no place. But many are now embracing AI/robotics as the answer to their labor problems.

They are still spending big bucks trying to have autonomous heavy trucking. My feeling is that they are knocking their heads against a wall because I see too many problems to overcome. But they are insistent about replacing truck drivers. I fear they will never install the necessary sensors to monitor the road, the load, wheel bearing temperature, fire alarms, systems to check if the lights are still working, sniffers to detect leaking hazmats and chemicals, tire pressure sensors, as well as all the other sensors necessary to safety haul heavy loads across Country.

That said, they have too many dollars invested to back out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2021, 12:48 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 1,050,896 times
Reputation: 4339
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The article did say "implementing or exploring" AI. In many cases, it will go no place. But many are now embracing AI/robotics as the answer to their labor problems.

They are still spending big bucks trying to have autonomous heavy trucking. My feeling is that they are knocking their heads against a wall because I see too many problems to overcome. But they are insistent about replacing truck drivers. I fear they will never install the necessary sensors to monitor the road, the load, wheel bearing temperature, fire alarms, systems to check if the lights are still working, sniffers to detect leaking hazmats and chemicals, tire pressure sensors, as well as all the other sensors necessary to safety haul heavy loads across Country.

That said, they have too many dollars invested to back out.
I am on the other side on autonomous trucking. I believe they will be normal in 10 years at most. Even at worst they could set up distribution centers and make roads between them to only be used by these trucks. Kinda like trains in that they have their own separate road way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2021, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
8,092 posts, read 10,072,731 times
Reputation: 10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Not at all . But we know that we we DO know works . We power ships and cities with physics . We enable people to argue about aliens visiting earth with physics . And we know how to send information on the spin of an electron . Think about that one for a minute . We can use the spin of one electron to send information .

And what we currently know says that sending matter of any size FTL is not possible . To base a belief in aliens zipping around on the basis of some new physics that differs radically from what we know and use today is a very flimsy base .
Truth may be that some alien force has found ways to deal with the physics of time, speed of light etc.

We don't know this, and probably never will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2021, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,713 posts, read 16,661,605 times
Reputation: 14648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I am on the other side on autonomous trucking. I believe they will be normal in 10 years at most. Even at worst they could set up distribution centers and make roads between them to only be used by these trucks. Kinda like trains in that they have their own separate road way.
I was a 30 year Teamster, but I only drove for half that time. While some companies do, many trucking companies do not own their own trailers. They rely on leased or rented trailers. Alert drivers are good at spotting problems. Of course, that is not all the time one pushing for AI can argue. Common carriers haul cargoes that can catch on fire, like lithium batteries or some of the hazmat 'oxider', and 'dangerous when wet' chemicals. How will AI spot smoke coming out the back of the trailer without sensors? How will AI spot smoke coming from an overheated wheel bearing? Will these newbie AI truckers happily continue to pull their burning loads through our cities until the airline finally burns and the truck loses brake air pressure? How does another driver on the road contact an AI driver to notify it of a problem?

Also some times trailers leak hazmats and other chemicals. Who does the required CDL pre-trip inspection? I presume that humans would still be required to do that pre-trip inspection for the AI? Would that human inspector be responsible for problems that might not be evident on the pre-trip inspection? It has been about 20 years since I last drove commercially, so maybe the laws have changed? But if I had placards I was required to do another inspection every two hours. Who does en route inspections and how does AI detect leaking chemicals without sensors or 'eyes' in the trailer or on the back of the trailer?

Don't forget that there are many lawyers looking for trucking companies to sue for their clients. With AI the company cannot shift the blame to the driver and will bear the full burden of any settlement. Of course, the lawyers could go after the manufacturers, but in many cases, the trucking companies will be the ones at fault for not purchasing the sensors that could have told the AI driver of the potential problems.

Of course, all of that said, companies still want to eliminate drivers. They are spending big bucks to make that a reality. I just foresee a very rocky road in this quest. AI would be better suited to explore space.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2021, 09:46 PM
 
15,387 posts, read 24,846,899 times
Reputation: 29899
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was a 30 year Teamster, but I only drove for half that time. While some companies do, many trucking companies do not own their own trailers. They rely on leased or rented trailers. Alert drivers are good at spotting problems. Of course, that is not all the time one pushing for AI can argue. Common carriers haul cargoes that can catch on fire, like lithium batteries or some of the hazmat 'oxider', and 'dangerous when wet' chemicals. How will AI spot smoke coming out the back of the trailer without sensors? How will AI spot smoke coming from an overheated wheel bearing? Will these newbie AI truckers happily continue to pull their burning loads through our cities until the airline finally burns and the truck loses brake air pressure? How does another driver on the road contact an AI driver to notify it of a problem?

Also some times trailers leak hazmats and other chemicals. Who does the required CDL pre-trip inspection? I presume that humans would still be required to do that pre-trip inspection for the AI? Would that human inspector be responsible for problems that might not be evident on the pre-trip inspection? It has been about 20 years since I last drove commercially, so maybe the laws have changed? But if I had placards I was required to do another inspection every two hours. Who does en route inspections and how does AI detect leaking chemicals without sensors or 'eyes' in the trailer or on the back of the trailer?

Don't forget that there are many lawyers looking for trucking companies to sue for their clients. With AI the company cannot shift the blame to the driver and will bear the full burden of any settlement. Of course, the lawyers could go after the manufacturers, but in many cases, the trucking companies will be the ones at fault for not purchasing the sensors that could have told the AI driver of the potential problems.

Of course, all of that said, companies still want to eliminate drivers. They are spending big bucks to make that a reality. I just foresee a very rocky road in this quest. AI would be better suited to explore space.
I have no idea if you’ve ever seen Top Gear, the English version but you talking about AI reminded me of this clip, which made me laugh, and my husband and I watched it a number of times when we found it on YouTube, and never ever ever not failed to get hysterical.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkE029a8bys
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2021, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,713 posts, read 16,661,605 times
Reputation: 14648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have no idea if you’ve ever seen Top Gear, the English version but you talking about AI reminded me of this clip, which made me laugh, and my husband and I watched it a number of times when we found it on YouTube, and never ever ever not failed to get hysterical.
It is a great video, but scary. Everything on one of those commercial trucks can kill you. I lost a fellow driver to another trucker that lost a wheel. I had even waved to him five minutes before he was split in half by a truck tire and wheel that was never secured by tightened lug nuts. I drove with another driver that stepped out of the truck we were driving (sleeper team) and a 2X4X8 missed his head by six inches as it came off a lumber truck. The board was probably doing 65 mph and would have been fatal. I saw what happened to a red (85 mph) sports car when it met the set of tandem wheels from a long trailer. The tandem wheels can be slid on many trailers to distribute the weight. But they must be locked in place after they are moved.

Those recap treads one can spot laying on our roads can weigh around 100 pounds and ruin any driver's day that is following too close.

So while the video was cute, it could have really ended badly for one of the drivers. They were very lucky to only lose their freight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2021, 08:08 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
6,556 posts, read 3,747,370 times
Reputation: 15892
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
...a 2X4X8 missed his head by six inches as it came off a lumber truck. .
I know just what you mean..One of my uncles (crooked nose/black suit & shirt/yellow tie/Panama hat/ no visible mens of support) got a new big screen TV.."Where'd you get it?".."Oh, it happened to fall off a truck."..Got a new refrigerator. "Where'd you get it?"..."Oh, it fell off a truck."...Got a new dining room set-- etc etc....Those trucks must be dangerous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2021, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Maine
21,888 posts, read 26,060,603 times
Reputation: 28640
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I know just what you mean..One of my uncles (crooked nose/black suit & shirt/yellow tie/Panama hat/ no visible mens of support) got a new big screen TV.."Where'd you get it?".."Oh, it happened to fall off a truck."..Got a new refrigerator. "Where'd you get it?"..."Oh, it fell off a truck."...Got a new dining room set-- etc etc....Those trucks must be dangerous.
Definitely depends on where you live. When my step-father lived in a certain neighborhood in Boston, his neighbor was connected. It was truly amazing all of the stuff that "fell off a truck" where he worked. Whiskey, stereos, suits, Thanksgiving turkeys, car parts, furniture. Lots of deals to be made thanks to stuff "falling off" trucks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2021, 09:23 AM
 
28,123 posts, read 10,799,886 times
Reputation: 15280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I am on the other side on autonomous trucking. I believe they will be normal in 10 years at most. Even at worst they could set up distribution centers and make roads between them to only be used by these trucks. Kinda like trains in that they have their own separate road way.
I also believe it will be the norm within 10 yrs. Fed Ex just recently contracted with a self drive truck company and has self drive trucks on the roads now, (human drivers still onboard to take over though at the moment), but eventually they wont be needed anymore.


Its a labor saving device, they will dump human drivers as soon as the technology is available.


This is the reason all of our community colleges dropped their CDL training classes, they know there is no future in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2021, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,713 posts, read 16,661,605 times
Reputation: 14648
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I also believe it will be the norm within 10 yrs. Fed Ex just recently contracted with a self drive truck company and has self drive trucks on the roads now, (human drivers still onboard to take over though at the moment), but eventually they wont be needed anymore.


Its a labor saving device, they will dump human drivers as soon as the technology is available.


This is the reason all of our community colleges dropped their CDL training classes, they know there is no future in it.
On the subject of robots replacing Americans: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/12/tech/...ion/index.html. Maybe we will train them on the ground before we shoo them into space?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top