Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 08:27 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times

Advertisements

Your roommate's right. I assume neither of you is in a position to pay a million bucks for a house, but if you find a house that you like and can afford I hope you don't let your imagination of scary things or a dream someone had on a camping trip keep you from buying it.

It would be hard to find a location that has been inhabited, or has a history of human habitation in the vicinity, where pain, suffering, and death have not occurred. Joy, happiness, and love have happened there, too, but somehow we never hear about people wanting to live in a certain area because of how happy the people there were reputed to be.

Just live your own life, and don't worry about what happened thousands of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 08:39 AM

59 posts, read 52,306 times
I used to visit Salem Church in Fredericksburg, VA and it was the site of a lot of carnage through the Civil War. You could definitely feel an increased sense of unease just being in the church. Huge numbers of people have reported sightings on a regular basis, so I have to believe there's something going on there. This sounds like the same type of traumatic event.
I wouldn't move there.

It's so isolated, they won't discover your body for weeks...with every bone broken. <Halloween holdover>

Old 11-04-2021, 09:17 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Your roommate's right. I assume neither of you is in a position to pay a million bucks for a house, but if you find a house that you like and can afford I hope you don't let your imagination of scary things or a dream someone had on a camping trip keep you from buying it.

It would be hard to find a location that has been inhabited, or has a history of human habitation in the vicinity, where pain, suffering, and death have not occurred. Joy, happiness, and love have happened there, too, but somehow we never hear about people wanting to live in a certain area because of how happy the people there were reputed to be.

Just live your own life, and don't worry about what happened thousands of years ago.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that neither my roommate or I are house hunting. I just wanted to see how high the price of real estate in my area has climbed for the sake of a different discussion.

I should mention that my roommate is a retired archeologist who back in the day dug up enough human remains to stock a good sized cemetery. He probably would be delighted to live in that place so that he could get in one last dig.

I have lived in houses where someone has died before and mostly it didn't bother me. However, I never liked being alone in the room where the death had occurred when I was alone in the house after dark. It didn't stop me from living there, but that was only one death.

Those ancient ruins probably were the site of hundreds of violent deaths and the survivors disappeared into thin air. THAT bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruss575 View Post
I used to visit Salem Church in Fredericksburg, VA and it was the site of a lot of carnage through the Civil War. You could definitely feel an increased sense of unease just being in the church. Huge numbers of people have reported sightings on a regular basis, so I have to believe there's something going on there. This sounds like the same type of traumatic event.
I wouldn't move there.

It's so isolated, they won't discover your body for weeks...with every bone broken. <Halloween holdover>
I've visited some of those old Civil War battlegrounds myself, and every time I did, I was overcome by a sense of terrible loss and sorrow. I do think that I must have some sort internal radar that causes me to feel deeply about these places - perhaps more deeply than some do.

Since you mentioned Halloween, I did come across that house on the day of Halloween. Maybe all those ghosts and spirits flying around were a bad influence!

Old 11-04-2021, 09:24 AM

27,658 posts, read 16,151,349 times
My friends rented a house with pentagrams all over inside. Weird things happened plenty. Years later I saw it advertised for sale. Sq ft totaled 666
I respect old ruins and wouldnt build around them

Old 11-04-2021, 09:50 AM

59 posts, read 52,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I've visited some of those old Civil War battlegrounds myself, and every time I did, I was overcome by a sense of terrible loss and sorrow. I do think that I must have some sort internal radar that causes me to feel deeply about these places - perhaps more deeply than some do.

Since you mentioned Halloween, I did come across that house on the day of Halloween. Maybe all those ghosts and spirits flying around were a bad influence!
The difficulty here is I'm not sure how you measure paranormal activity and if you can't measure it objectively, how much is your mind generating all on its own? I've toured and spent countless hours on battlefields and never felt a thing that seemed unsettling, except for that church. A woman come into my house and claimed she saw a ghost, but she believed and practiced Santeria so i just chalked it up to her wackiness. I never saw/felt anything.

maybe if the house shows up on airbnb, you could try it out!

Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, it's almost impossible to find property in the more heavily populated parts of NM that aren't the site of horrible killings, given the state's history. The Santa Fe area, for example, has layers of gruesome history, yet people flock there, and unwittingly but eagerly buy land that's the site of one tribe or ethnic group's battle against another. 99.9% of the residents don't notice anything unusual.

It's a misconception, that the Anasazi disappeared. Their descendants are all around NM and northern AZ, living as the Puebloan peoples. You can see a communal building reminiscent of those multi-story ruins, that's still occupied today in Taos Pueblo north of Santa Fe. Archaeologists love to describe the collapse of civilizations as "mysterious", and their people as "vanished", when in fact, the descendants are still there, or migrated to locations nearby. Take the Maya as an example. They're everywhere, throughout pre-historical Mayan country. You can't miss them. Yet the "experts" would have us believe they've disappeared. Or they used to say that; maybe by now they've wised up, IDK.

The cannibalism thing has been overblown. One researcher found evidence of cannibalism in northern AZ, which he clearly stated looked to be the result of an invasion of warlike people from much farther south in Mexico, and I gather from what you say, that this got generalized as an explanation for the "disappearance" of the Anasazi. Climate change caused the people to abandon their cities, and move to more dependable water sources, in most cases. (The Rio Grande area, for one.) Others adapted by developing a "dry farming" technique.

To be sure, there was a time in the last days of the Anasazi civ, when communities had to take up defensive positions in hard-to-reach locations, to protect their food from marauders. But, cannibalizing their own? I don't buy it, and I'd like to know who's trying to sell it. References, please?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-04-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-04-2021, 10:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
I dont know why an area that has seen a lot of human death, would feel a certain way, or have many ghost sightings...We do not know if ghosts are connected to human soul/spirit.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
I've been to Mesa Verde and other archeological sites of the Anastazi and never heard about the cannibalism. What guides told us at those sites was more related to climate change back then as Ruth said. Water sources dried up and they had to move on.

They did leave us the Anastazi bean variety, which we used to enjoy frequently when we lived in SE Utah.

I've seen so many petroglyphs and ancient paintings all over Utah, some on private property. You can hardly protect them all, though I wish it were possible.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:25 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
My father had somewhat of a dramatic side. As us kids were all running around on the Gettysburg battlefield, running from cannon to cannon, looking at plaques, my father took me aside and said “that river over there? The river ran red with the blood of the soldiers who were killed here on that day. And the ground was stained for months.”

And the way he said it, Gettysburg went from being a day out at a park with family and history to being in a sacred space that had to be respected.

I love the idea of ghosts, but, in reality it’s what’s going on in your mind that creates that feeling of sadness, or horror, or whatever. If you didn’t know what went on there, you wouldn’t feel anything.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,355 times
I live very near an extensive ancient site. I walk there several times per week. It is a very spiritual place but not creepy at all. I always maintain an attitude of reverence and respect.

That being said, I've had two genuinely creepy incidents on formerly Native American sites. One involved a manufactured home we had installed on what had previously been an area frequented by Native Americans. We were the first home installed in this area. I had two frightening mid-afternoon experiences of sleep paralysis and an overwhelming sense of evil that left me badly shaken. I've never had another experience even remotely similar.

Another time, I was hiking and discovered an old wall and a really beautiful flint engraving tool. I put it in my pocket and started up the hillside. I won't bore you with all that occurred, but it was WEIRD and likewise involved an overwhelming sense of evil. I came flying down the hill and screamed to my wife "Get in the truck - we're outta here!!!"

I once owned an extensive collection of Native American artifacts, some of which I knew had been illegally dug by pot-hunters. At some point, I just didn't feel right about owning these things and sold them all for a fraction of their worth.

No, I wouldn't touch that house at any price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal