Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 11:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

https://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/...-physical.html

We have probably all heard of this incident (or series of incidents actually), that happened a few decades ago, Ive never really known what to think about 'lizard man sightings' in general. There are not many of them that I know of, so that in itself is interesting, ( as some people will say, "people like making stuff up for attention"), but it doesnt appear like a lot of people tried to claim these kinds of sightings...

Id think after the newspaper article about that kids encounter, there would have been numerous other people reporting similar things, (but apparently that didnt happen)

I suppose its like any other cryptid sighting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 09:38 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

We have probably all heard of this incident (or series of incidents actually), that happened a few decades ago, Ive never really known what to think about 'lizard man sightings' in general. There are not many of them that I know of, so that in itself is interesting, ( as some people will say, "people like making stuff up for attention"), but it doesnt appear like a lot of people tried to claim these kinds of sightings...

Id think after the newspaper article about that kids encounter, there would have been numerous other people reporting similar things, (but apparently that didnt happen)

The is/was enough that Bishopville has a festival every year.

As for the article, no such place as Shaw, SC. Its Sumter, probably an editing error, and Newberry is far enough away that the lizard man probably wasnt what she saw, and could possibly have been bigfoot(s), and Lyles book on the subject, well, I cant say what I really think of it.

I will say there were some reports that were examined and very thoroughly. One had forensics experts examine a vehilce for damage and DNA and a bullet removed from a tree after one report for DNA. IIRC the bullet didnt have any trace DNA, but something on the vehicle did, but couldnt be identified.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
The is/was enough that Bishopville has a festival every year.

As for the article, no such place as Shaw, SC. Its Sumter, probably an editing error, and Newberry is far enough away that the lizard man probably wasnt what she saw, and could possibly have been bigfoot(s), and Lyles book on the subject, well, I cant say what I really think of it.

I will say there were some reports that were examined and very thoroughly. One had forensics experts examine a vehilce for damage and DNA and a bullet removed from a tree after one report for DNA. IIRC the bullet didnt have any trace DNA, but something on the vehicle did, but couldnt be identified.
There was also the man who claimed to shoot it and had blood and scales...Strangely police focused on him having the gun instead, no telling what ever became of the physical evidence the guy had...

Had that been me, I would have nagged them relentlessly, to return the physical samples, and if they did not, make a big stink about it publicly.

There are some other random 'lizard man' sightings, from other areas, that pop up here and there, not many though. From what I can tell, there has NEVER been a alleged sighting in my state, or in any nearby states, that gives this a bit of credibility imo.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:49 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I live in SC and have never heard of this Scrape Ore thing. We never had any rumors about lizard men circulating around as a kid... Ghosts, yes. Lizard men, no.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I live in SC and have never heard of this Scrape Ore thing. We never had any rumors about lizard men circulating around as a kid... Ghosts, yes. Lizard men, no.
Scape Ore monster, as in Scape Ore Swamp, in Bishopville.

How long have you lived in SC. Ive been here all my life and heard about the LizardMan since he first showed back in the 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard...cape_Ore_Swamp

Old 02-06-2022, 04:14 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
There is obviously no such thing as a lizard man. Even Bigfoot, as wildly improbable as it is, can be explained as some kind of ape. What in the name of evolution is a "lizard man," and how can it come to be with millions of years of missing fossil record?

Maybe some bum who got covered in smamp mud that dried and looked like scales?

Old 02-06-2022, 04:26 PM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
There is obviously no such thing as a lizard man. Even Bigfoot, as wildly improbable as it is, can be explained as some kind of ape. What in the name of evolution is a "lizard man," and how can it come to be with millions of years of missing fossil record?

Maybe some bum who got covered in smamp mud that dried and looked like scales?
It's a familiar myth, currently seeing a surge in popularity due to a certain portion of the population.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:31 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Scape Ore monster, as in Scape Ore Swamp, in Bishopville.

How long have you lived in SC. Ive been here all my life and heard about the LizardMan since he first showed back in the 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard...cape_Ore_Swamp
From that Wikipedia link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard...pe_Ore_Swamp):

"On August 5, Kenneth Orr, an airman stationed at Shaw Air Force Base, filed a police report alleging that he had encountered the Lizard Man on Highway 15, and he had shot and wounded it. He presented several scales and a small quantity of blood as evidence. Orr recanted this account two days later when he was arraigned for unlawfully carrying a pistol and the misdemeanor offense of filing a false police report. According to Orr, he had hoaxed the sighting in order to keep stories about the Lizard Man in circulation. Reports of the creature gradually declined at the end of the summer. Local law enforcement officials speculated that the sightings were likely to have been caused by a bear."

Not strong evidence of any cryptid just like all the other rsteavens62 accounts. 'Phantoms and Monsters' do rely on sensationalism and have a vested interest in promoting cryptids.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
It's a familiar myth, currently seeing a surge in popularity due to a certain portion of the population.
Exactly what population are you referring to?

Old 02-06-2022, 05:52 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Exactly what population are you referring to?
I think it is pretty obvious, those that believe in cryptids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal