Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 01:45 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

The Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles has to be an honorable mention here as well.

It's in a horrible area, has changed names due to reputation, has had serial killers living there, suicides, murders and mysterious deaths. One of the American Horror Story episodes is based on this hotel.

If you're able to put all that aside, it's a beautiful example of Art Deco architecture and what a luxury hotel looked like back in the early 1900s.

Last edited by marino760; 06-26-2022 at 01:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 10:54 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles has to be an honorable mention here as well.

It's in a horrible area, has changed names due to reputation, has had serial killers living there, suicides, murders and mysterious deaths. One of the American Horror Story episodes is based on this hotel.

If you're able to put all that aside, it's a beautiful example of Art Deco architecture and what a luxury hotel looked like back in the early 1900s.
I never heard of this hotel before, but I just googled it. It has now been turned into an "affordable housing complex," i.e. for people whose income is below the poverty line and thus receive housing assistance.

I am not sure I believe in "ghosts" per se, but I do believe that in locations where truly painful, horrific things have happened, a negative energy remains. I cannot explain this in scientific terms. I think it is something one has to experience to understand.

Why was this place so horrifically troubled for so long? That is what I would like to know.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:00 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
The Stanley and the Cecil were mentioned. Here's one that isn't that well known - https://www.thehotelconneaut.com/

The Hotel Conneaut in Pennsylvania. Ask for The Elizabeth Room.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We were non-believers until we spent the night at the Palace Hotel in Port Townsend, WA. We were unaware of the reputation for paranormal activity there until the next day when we read some of the comments in the guest book, and then at home, went online to research it.

This was a hotel built by a rich sea captain in 1889 expecting the city to be the big northwest port, but when that went to Seattle, became a brothel. Our experiences were general creepiness, even thinking the eyes in a painting were looking at us, then in the night an odd thing with the fan (no AC). I had placed it to blow across the foot of the bed, but was awakened with it blowing in my face. When I got up to move it back, it was still in the original position.

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/n...-hotels-halls/

https://seattlerefined.com/travel/a-...e-palace-hotel

Old 06-27-2022, 11:29 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I never heard of this hotel before, but I just googled it. It has now been turned into an "affordable housing complex," i.e. for people whose income is below the poverty line and thus receive housing assistance.

I am not sure I believe in "ghosts" per se, but I do believe that in locations where truly painful, horrific things have happened, a negative energy remains. I cannot explain this in scientific terms. I think it is something one has to experience to understand.

Why was this place so horrifically troubled for so long? That is what I would like to know.
There's a lot of information regarding this hotel online including how it began to turn bad and got worse and worse over the decades starting with the Great Depression just 2 years after it opened turning what used to be a nice area of downtown Los Angles into Skid Row.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/cecil-hotel-los-angeles

Old 06-27-2022, 04:03 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
There are some that I would prefer to avoid. I see you are in Texas. I am less familiar with hotels in the west, but in California I would NOT stay in the Hotel Cecil. Now it is known as "Stay On Main" because of its reputation. They can change the name all they want, but I have no desire to experience what that part of LA has to offer - normal or paranormal.

Here is a link that you may find helpful - https://www.hauntedrooms.com/texas/h...haunted-hotels

Old 06-27-2022, 08:48 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Just remember original poster, scary thrills often follow you home. As physically live human beings we don’t comprehend what’s on the other side. Most religions tell us we’re not supposed to try and contact the nonliving. Our day will come when we will be one of them and then Our questions will be answered. I’m as curious as they get, I’ve messed with Ouija and a few other things. And it’s real and it’s dangerous. People think it’s fun and games until your life is literally cursed. Be careful what you wish for
I do not doubt what you say is true. However, I do feel there are various practices which can be learned which will give a measure of protection from other entities. Not all occult schools are evil or have evil intentions so there must be some kind of ritual which can be done for protection against what many call 'evil' entities. For a start, the Cathollc Church has priests who are able to supposedly drive out these 'evil' entities so they must have some kind of ritual which is effective. I suspect that it is all about intention and beliefs which give us protection from anything we are scared of - whether it be aliens, or ghosties.

If you played with a ouija board when younger you probably did not know what protection you would need before starting the session. You are always opening yourself up to unusual energies when doing anything like this so it is useful to know what protection you may need before doing anything of this sort.

As people say, once you have got an attachment, it is more difficult to get rid of it the longer it is there.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:37 PM

18 posts, read 10,337 times
The Pollard Hotel in Red Lodge, Montana is known to be haunted.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:19 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The Stanley Hotel…
That's it. Thank you.

-------------------------------

I think a lot of haunting is in the mind. I've done some ghost hunting and never worried about "bringing something home" with me. I know people who use sage and do protection ceremonies before doing any ghost hunting and that's not something I think is necessary either. I've also played with a ouija board when I was younger, although I had no idea how to use it, and nothing ever happened. And I don't believe in demons. There's enough evil people on earth who can be considered to be a demon before they die, so I think after they die, those are the "demons" people talk about.

A lot of approaching the paranormal is just using common sense. The bottom line is what is finally, truly unable to be explained could be said to be paranormal. But those occasions are far and very few between.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:58 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I had somewhat of a possible paranormal experience at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa Canada. Its supposed to be haunted but I did not know it. I was awoken by what felt like someone sitting on the bed, but there was nobody there. I seemed to feel its energy draining through the bed and disappearing. It was really scary but never found out what it was. I found out that the hotel is very haunted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal