Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 04:45 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
One of those odd things, some people are very open and honest, while they’re online, and share with other people real names, and become friends with online people. Those are the ones we generally have an idea of when they pass away. In order to make someone an eternal member, I’m sure you’ve seen that designation, city data requires proof. An obituary or death certificate works.
Thanks for the explanation, I figured there was some sort of C-D procedure in place in order to make someone an "eternal member". I kinda new the region where he lived and kind knew what he did for a living and had a good guess of an age range, but being able to find an obit, would be the proverbial needle in a haystack, without a name or even partial name.

Hopefully he turns back up some time down the road!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 07:52 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
I think Sasquatch/Bigfoot exists for two reasons...

1. It is more fun to believe it.

2. Reports of seeing it date back to the 1800s.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:21 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
As in life, we make an impact while we are here and then others take up the torch to continue our work. For me, it is getting people to think a little more and to wonder about the world we are told to believe in.

Anyway, as they say, we stand on the shoulders of giants. (although I am sure many people think giants dont exist !)

Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think Sasquatch/Bigfoot exists for two reasons...

1. It is more fun to believe it.

2. Reports of seeing it date back to the 1800s.
1. Then why not believe in Hobbits? As much as I'd love for Sasquatch to exist, I'd trade a million Sasquatches for a hole full of Hobbits.

2. Irrelevant. If time is a factor, then people have reported seeing trolls for thousands of years. Are trolls real?

Old 09-20-2022, 09:07 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I suspect it's a mixture of hoaxes and mistaken identity. But I'm not entirely unwilling to discount a supernatural explanation. However, I am 99.99999999999999999999999% certain Bigfoot is not a part of the natural ecosystem. We'd have found some conclusive evidence by now, and the fact remains there just aren't enough calories in the environment to keep such a creature alive through the winter.

Seriously though. Your reasoning is based on the assumption that so-called "primitive" peoples were a bunch of ignorant savages who would only tell stories about real things. They couldn't possibly have had imaginations and loved making up fantastic stories. Only we "enlightened" moderns could possibly do such a thing.

That isn't the way mythology happens.
Good Points.

The original article starts off asking "What does it mean?" but never gets in dpeth.

Monsters are symbols of what a society fears or does not understand. Monsters are part entertaining, part explanatory.....Sasquatch may have meant a keeper of the forest, or the wild, or protector of animals originally....but in Cold War era America, it seemed to flourish as a malevolent monster during the cold war. Right after the fall of the Soviet Union, for a brief time, BigFoots (bigfeet?) were seen as a more peaceful creature, but after 9/11 they became very hostile again. There are even reports suddenly of the creatures being "cave dwellers" for the first time, which parallels the activity of the search for Bin Laden who was reportedly hiding in caves on the other side of the world.

Whatever enemy America had, the Bigfoot made for a convenient symbol and this is what monsters do and how monster myths work in a culture.

And no, totem animals do not have to be real. Remember the Thunderbird? or the Phoenix?

I do not believe in Mermaids, demons, gods, deities, ghosts, devils, little green fairies, either

But that does not mean I cannot enjoy them. I love a good old style horror movie with vampires and monsters. But I understand it is fiction. Like Star Trek, my all time favorite show ,probably. Is it Fiction yes, And is it interesting? Oh YEAH!

But Monsters like anything have a perception and a perspective. I would love to be one who discovers the bigfoot to be real....But I am not going looking for it as such because I do not think it could possibly exist. IF it did, I would love to follow, track, pursue one, find out where it sleeps, lives, eats....but so far, no one has yet to do it. Successfully.
I know people who insist that it must be real, or who have seen it, and there is no reasonable explanation for what they saw....but all we have mainly is their story, their account. Little other evidence. And as long as we have belief without evidence or fascination with the unknown, we will have , and need, myths to explain our existence. That is what humans do and have always done back to the days of our cave dwelling ancestors who created Spiritism as a result of dreams containing deceased friends and ancestors.

With that, I hope the pursuit of it continues. I hope some people keep believing in it and keep the myth alive. I am not one of those shallow religious types that feels threatened or offended by someone else's beliefs who may be different than my own. I am also not ruled by fear. I find the myths to be fascinating, and interesting, and worthy of study as socio-cultural myths and analyzed for their meaning and influence on society. How do myths and beliefs affect and shape a society? Like Something Joseph Campbell would address. Sasquatch should be included because he /she/it influences enough people to create a populace that follows it.

And yes, we need myths, as myths are a part of the human experience.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
1. Then why not believe in Hobbits? As much as I'd love for Sasquatch to exist, I'd trade a million Sasquatches for a hole full of Hobbits.

2. Irrelevant. If time is a factor, then people have reported seeing trolls for thousands of years. Are trolls real?
1. The Hobbit was a work of fiction by J.R.R. Tolkien.

2. I've not seen footprint casts or photos of trolls.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:35 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
1. The Hobbit was a work of fiction by J.R.R. Tolkien.

2. I've not seen footprint casts or photos of trolls.
1. The term 'Big Foot' is attributed to a bulldozer operator in 1958, Jerry Crew. Not very scientific.

2. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bigfoot+feet&ref=nb_sb_noss If you want to buy your own pair of strap-on feet and make your own casts. You have lots of fake ones to choose from.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:48 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Large bears have huge footprints relative to man. "But.. they are human footprints!" Yeah, right.

Has the US Dept. of Fish and Game ever displayed a plaster cast of a true Big Foot footprint? If so, please link to the official government website showing it. I will settle for a link to a website for any reknown public or private University like MIT or Harvard or UC Berkeley.

Thanks.
Start here:

https://alumni.berkeley.edu/californ...-grover-krantz

Old 09-20-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
1. The term 'Big Foot' is attributed to a bulldozer operator in 1958, Jerry Crew. Not very scientific.

2. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bigfoot+feet&ref=nb_sb_noss If you want to buy your own pair of strap-on feet and make your own casts. You have lots of fake ones to choose from.
1. It was known as Sasquatch long before being called "Bigfoot."

2. No one can say all the footprints casted were fake. No proof of that.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:14 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
1. It was known as Sasquatch long before being called "Bigfoot."

2. No one can say all the footprints casted were fake. No proof of that.
1. Many of our Native American tribes described hairy wildmen of average height. That could be any recluse.

2. No one can say that any of the casted footprints are not fake. There is no proof and no solid DNA evidence. Many could be from bears walking upright or from human prints that got larger as they melted. I know they have their 'experts', but have you watched the shows where they go out looking for prints? They see any indentation in the ground and they immediately suspect BF. If BF was real, he would leave more than prints behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal