Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 09:04 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times

Advertisements

St. Louis Republic Sept. 7, 1903 Pg. 2

ATTEMPTS TO END LIFE IN PRISON CELL

John McGinnis, who last Saturday shot and killed Richard Walsh in the Maple House, Third and Ashley streets, attempted to commit suicide in the holdover at the Four Courts at 1 o'clock this morning.

McGinnis tied a belt, shirt sleeve and handkerchief together and fastened one end of the string around his neck, the other he tied to the bars over the bunk in his cell, and mounting the bunk, jumped.

Michael Ratchford, inner guard at the holdover, reached McGinnis soon after he had made the attempt to end his life, and released him. McGinnis is waiting a preliminary trial on a charge of murder. He was the night clerk at the Maple House, the scene of the Walsh tragedy,
McGinnis was sent to the City Hospital where he was given medical attention. He told the attendants that he saw the ghost of the murdered Walsh in the jail last night and that caused him to try suicide.

OLD JUNEAU HOUSE HAUNTED 1926

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Rec...wspaper/BA7311
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 09:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Boston Newspapers 1896

Fish With Feet Found On Beach 1954

1954, August 11: The Canvey Island Monsters | Anomalies: the Strange & Unexplained
Something that looked like the "fish" in the old b/w photo in that article showed up at one of the beaches after the huge Tsunami off Indonesia/Thailand/India. People were splashing around in the water, having fun, and this thing swam up among them close to the shore. People stared at it. I saw it on one of the tsunami videos months after the event, when people were putting footage up on youtube.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Something that looked like the "fish" in the old b/w photo in that article showed up at one of the beaches after the huge Tsunami off Indonesia/Thailand/India. People were splashing around in the water, having fun, and this thing swam up among them close to the shore. People stared at it. I saw it on one of the tsunami videos months after the event, when people were putting footage up on youtube.
A number of fish grew feet after they tested those atomic bombs around some islands. No telling what other ocean freaks were born.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:28 AM

164 posts, read 84,427 times
Quote:
I've come across hundreds of stories in old newspapers dealing with ghosts, UFOs, creatures and mysterious people so I figured I would start a thread.
Some of them I had written down but most I only have vague memories. Here is one of the first ones I came across.

1891 Newspaper Headline; GHOST TRAIN SAVES 206

Railroad Engineer Jim Murphy saw the ghostly image of a locomotive highballing toward him on the tracks ahead and, in a rush of panic, brought his own train to a screeching stop--only scant feet from a washed-out bridge.

Murphy's four-car " Prairie Land Express " was bound for St. Louis, Mo., on the stormy night of July 1, 1891, with 206 passengers. It was a destination Murphy's train would never have reached if it had rumbled onto the splintered, twisted bridge that had collapsed only minutes earlier into the raging, flood swollen waters of the Missouri River.

" It was a ghost train that saved us all from a horrible death, " Murphy later wrote of his eerie encounter with the unknown. " When I saw the light of that train coming straight at me, I said, Jimmy, my boy, prepare to meet your maker."
" I hit the brake like a shot and I thought for a moment that the tender was going to climb right into my cab." " It seemed like we skidded along the tracks for miles and I kept seeing the light of that other locomotive dead ahead, only it didn't seem to be getting any closer."

" After I got my train stopped, I started walking down the line toward the other train. I got to within 100 feet of it and I could just make out its shape. There was no mistaking that it was a locomotive, but as I approached it, the engine just started to fade before my eyes. It grew dimmer until I could actually see right through it, then it vanished."

As incredible as Murphy's story sounded, few if any of the folks in those parts thought of him as a nut. They not only knew it was a ghost train that appeared on the tracks that night to prevent a terrible disaster, they also knew which train it was.
Exactly one year to the night earlier, Engineer Patrick O'Malley was at the throttle of an empty freight train that jumped the tracks just as it crossed that very bridge. The train plowed through the steel girders and plunged into the river. O'Malley and his crew died.

" A lot of people would have died if my train would have crossed that bridge, Murphy wrote, but old Patrick and his train came back from the grave to save us all."

There were a rash of ghost train sightings that year across the country.

Wow, that is interesting!

Old 09-06-2022, 12:42 AM

164 posts, read 84,427 times
Quote:
A while back I was looking through old newspapers to find out what things were going on during the Civil War, I like checking out the ads and other stuff during that time period. I came across this short article that I found interesting.

Chicago Daily Tribune Nov. 6, 1860 Pg. 2

A BULLET PROOF SPEETER

St. Louis--- A clerk in one of the insurance offices was sitting alone one night at his desk when a well-dressed stranger came in and inquired for a Mr. McCulloch. The clerk replied that he knew of no such person employed there and continued his writing.

Minutes later he discovered that the strange intruder had not moved. He asked the man if he had any further business, but the fellow just stared at him. He then told the stranger that if he didn't leave his office he would be forced to hustle him out.

The man leisurely placed his hands behind his back and replied, " I have been sent here, and I shall stay here." Nervously the clerk opened his safe and took out a revolver, leveled it at the stranger and told him he would give him two minutes to leave his office.
Two minutes passed and the man did not move an inch or utter a word. From ten feet away the clerk took deliberate aim and fired.

The stranger still stood there, exhibited no surprise and offered no remarks. A minute later he shook his coat skirts, gave a slight shrug and calmly walked out of the office.
The clerk was completely baffled. After a few moments he rushed downstairs and into the street, but the stranger had vanished. The clerk has heard nothing from him since.

This one kind of reminded of another newspaper story I read about a mysterious stranger back around 1900 that wore unusual clothing and went around town asking strange questions. Thinking he was drunk or insane, the police locked him in a cell. When they went to bring him his breakfast in the morning, his cell was empty and he was never seen again.
There are other stories in the old newspapers where mysterious people just vanish, almost as if they were called back.

Wow! Very interesting! Where do you find these kinds of old stories from the past?

Old 09-06-2022, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
Wow! Very interesting! Where do you find these kinds of old stories from the past?
Books, old newspapers, documentaries I've seen on TV, but mostly from searching the internet.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:09 AM

Kirksville Devil's Chair

https://trippingonlegends.com/2022/0...wn-your-spine/

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...-devil-s-chair

Old 09-06-2022, 06:09 AM

MUMMIES

Pedro

ShukerNature: REMEMBERING PEDRO – THE MISSING MINI-MUMMY OF WYOMING

Elmer McCurdy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_McCurdy

John St. Helen

https://memphismagazine.com/ask-vanc...mummy-mystery/

Old 09-06-2022, 10:13 AM

The Van Meter Visitor 1903

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...years-ago.html

Hartford Daily Running Feb. 18, 1897

Florida Monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine_Monster

Old 09-06-2022, 11:39 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
^^^ There have not been too many demands on your time lately has there, aliasfinn? (LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal