Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 02:17 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times

Advertisements

The Sympsychograph

The Sympsychograph

The Tulsa Star (Okla.) Jan. 22, 1921 Pg1

MAN KILLED MAY NOT HAVE BEEN BANDIT

Muskogee, Okla., Jan. 22--- No race troubles are threatened here as the result of the killing of W.S. Williams, an alleged bandit by Conductor Linn, Thursday night, but there is serious doubt that the man killed was anything but an ordinary citizen.
No gun was found on the dead man, so far as it has been learned, and it is thought by many that the man was murdered by the conductor and the bandit story put out to camouflage the crime.

Rabisu

The Demon Hunter's Compendium: The Rabisu

Sierra County Advocate (N.M.) Feb. 28, 1885 Pg3

A visitor to the country, seeing a very old woman dozing at her cottage door asked a little boy of 6 or 7, who was playing nearby how old she was.
" I can't say, sir," replied the child ,politely; " But she must be very old. She has been here ever since I can Remember."

In 1938 in Paris, Michigan, Robert Fortney was attacked by five wild dogs and he said one of them walked on two legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 04:57 AM

Minneapolis Spokesman Aug. 10, 1934 Pg5

CAVES USED FOR MUSHROOMS

The famous Chislehurst caves in Kent comprise 22 miles of underground passages. They are 90 feet deep, and could accommodate 80,000 persons. Most of the caves are used for the cultivation of mushrooms.

The Beast of Bray Road

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/beast-of-bray-road/

The Durham Recorder (N.C.) Oct. 15, 1879 Pg1

A little Waterloo Sunday school girl was asked by her teacher, " What must people do in order to go to Heaven? "

" Die, I suppose," replied the little one.

The teacher did not question her any further.

Flying Worms

https://www.pararational.com/translu...g-worm-prauge/

Ketchum Keystone (Idaho) 1898

First turkey--- " Oh, cheer up old man, you are superstitious."

Second turkey--- " No, I'm not superstitious, but when I pick up cranberries by the kitchen door three days in a row, I get nervous."

Old 02-02-2023, 08:36 AM

The Ketchum Keystone (Idaho) June 8, 1898 Pg2

A Pine Bluff, (Ark.) marble cutter is under arrest on the novel charge of stealing tombstones and working them over for new and grief-stricken customers.

The Mad Gasser of Mattoon 1944

https://www.illinoistimes.com/spring...t?oid=11450083

The Port Gibson Reveille (Miss.) June 13, 1890 Pg1

Bob Lyons, a gambler, known all over the west as " Diamond Bob," shortly after midnight on the morning of the 4th, was saved from the bullet of a St. Paul (Minn.) burglar by two poker chips which he carried in his pocket and which stopped the deadly missile.

Mngwa

https://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/mngwa/

Old 02-03-2023, 03:47 AM

The News And Views (N.C.) Jan. 3, 1950 Pg1

FLYING SAUCERS REPORTED HERE

Flying saucers were seen here last week, so say Mr. and Mrs. D.B. Burgess. Both Mr. and Mrs. Burgess maintained that they saw a spherical object in the skies Thursday afternoon, headed toward New Bern. They said it appeared similar to the descriptions of flying saucers they have been reading about in the newspapers.

Western Liberal (N.M.) Jan. 10, 1913 Pg3

Tuesday an unknown Mexican climbed on top of a car on the east bound limited. When the train reached Deming he rolled off, but did not appear injured by the fall.
He was taken to the hospital, and died within an hour. The death was caused by exposure to the severe cold encountered on the trip. The corporation commission should take up the matter of compelling the railroads to warm the roofs of their cars, for the protection of the hoboes this cold weather.

The Boston Advance Feb. 17, 1900 Pg2

In Chicago a wolf has been killed inside city limits. Now let New York keep her end up by killing an octopus in the Hudson river, or perhaps St. Louis might catch a microbe in her water from Chicago.

Nuevo Laredo Alien

https://arcanebeastsandcritters.word...-laredo-alien/

Old 02-03-2023, 06:25 AM

The Legend of Dog Boy

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...oy-20071028-0/

The New Orleans Democrat Dec. 19, 1875 Pg1

AN EXTRAORDINARY SUICIDE

London--- The body of a young man named Saunders was picked up in the Thames river last week. In the pockets of his coat was found some money, a number of papers, and the following letter:

" Should my body be found, which I devoutly hope it may not, I think it as well to give some explanation of what will be called a rash act.
Having written to the editor of the Family Herald, and received such an answer as to lead me to suppose myself mad, I have made up my mind to kill myself. I might, for aught I know, go raving at any moment, and do someone else a mischief.
The only thing that has restrained me from suicide has been the fear of causing sorrow to my parents, but that may be soon over, whereas if I were to live a lunatic, they would be always in trouble about me, and by doing this, killing myself, I end their trouble and my own. I have not written this with the hope of getting my body buried in consecrated ground, that being an affair of little moment to me, but simply in order that the cause of my death should be known."

Passaic City Record (N.J.) Oct. 26, 1907 Pg6

The last of the six willow trees that grew from the slips taken from the willow tree that shaded the grave of Napoleon at St. Helena, which were planted just opposite the Sands street gate of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, has been cut down.
Admiral Breese brought the slips to America 50 years ago. The trees began to decay some years ago, with the result that all of them are now down.

Whepstead House

The Haunts of Brisbane: Wellington Point's Whepstead House: Where the ghost stories are plentiful, & so are the inaccuracies...

Old 02-03-2023, 10:33 AM

Ketchum Keystone (Idaho) Jan. 14, 1899 Pg1

A MYSTERIOUS ROADBED

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...14/ed-1/seq-1/

Fair Play (Mo.)

HUNTER BITTEN BY SNAKE

Lebanon, Mo.---James Lewis, while hunting, was bitten twice on the head by a copperhead snake. The attack occurred while he was looking in a hole for some game. The snake was basking in the sun.

Pike County Press (Pa.) Dec. 27, 1895 Pg1

A LEGEND OF THE MISTLETOE

A myth of the middle ages says that before the crucifixion of Christ the mistletoe was a forest tree, but owing to its supplying the wood for the cross, it fell into disgrace and became a mere parasite as a lasting memorial of its ignominious use.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:02 PM

Automatic Writing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_writing

Taney County Republican (Mo.) Sept. 23, 1920 Pg2

HAD PLENTY OF TIME

A steeple jack was telling the story of when he was working on a clock tower.
" It was about 12 minutes to 6 o'clock, when I slipped, slid down the roof and was caught on the long hand of the clock. There I dangled while the town folks gathered below. So I yells to 'em, " Say, you folks, go home to your suppers, it'll be close to half an hour before I drop."

The Farmington Times (Mo.) Sept. 18, 1902 Pg1

The body of an unidentified one-armed man was found in the river at St. Louis on the 12th, standing upright in the water, the legs held straight in the sand.

The Jackson Herald (Mo.) Jan. 9, 1908 Pg7

CHANGED HIS MIND

" Well, what are you doing there ? " asked the lady, addressing a tramp who had just climbed a tree in time to escape a savage bulldog.

" Madam," replied the hobo, " It was my intention to ask for a hand-out, but in the interest of humanity I now request that you give any surplus food you may have on hand to my canine friend down there. "

Cape Weekly Tribune (Mo.) Feb. 6, 1914 Pg6

BEANS BRING DIVORCE

Pittsburg, Feb. 5.--- " My wife forced me to eat beans for breakfast, dinner and supper," declared James T. Fisher, who is suing for divorce. " We even had beans for Thanksgiving and Christmas."

Old 02-04-2023, 06:44 AM

Andrew County Republican (Mo.) Nov. 1, 1871 Pg1

The citizens of Holden, Mo., object to the tolling of the church bells in that place as a public announcement of deaths, on the ground that it has a bad effect on the sick.

Lewisburg Chronicle (Pa.) April 10, 1850 Pg1

FATAL AMUSEMENT

In Pittsburg, on Sunday morning the 14th, a little girl seven or eight years of age, died from the effects of over exertion in skipping rope.
Last Thursday a contest arose between her and her playmates as to who could jump the greatest number of times consecutively, and by extraordinary exertion she was able to accomplish three hundred and fifty, but her life has proved the forfeit.

Cochise Review (Ariz.) May 17, 1900 Pg1

BLOODY WORK

Stockholm, May. 17--- The Swedish steamer Prince Charles put in here today, bearing indications of an extraordinary tragedy.
The decks and cabins of the vessel were blood smeared and spattered everywhere. It seems that early last evening an unknown madman, with a revolver, ran amuck on the steamer and shot dead five persons almost before they realized his intentions.
The captain sprang upon the man, but the latter shot and killed him. The lunatic then reloaded his revolver and going on deck, wounded six of the crew. Others of the ship's company were by this time completely cowed and no further attempt was made to capture the man who launched a lifeboat and escaped.

The Grave of Florence Irene Ford

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...nce-irene-ford

Last edited by aliasfinn; 02-04-2023 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-04-2023, 09:52 AM

The Arica Monster

https://arcanebeastsandcritters.word...arica-monster/

The Ohio Democrat Jan. 14, 1898 Pg1

JACK THE PEEPER

Not to be outdone, Athens comes to the fore with a " Jack the Peeper."
For several nights past, families in various localities have been disturbed by him. Wherever a window-shade was up the least bit, especially should a lady be disrobing, there he has been found carrying on his nefarious practice.

Butler Weekly Times (Mo.) Jan. 8, 1920 Pg8

The death of Eusatia Pallidani, a Spanish black hen, 32 years old, at Danielson, Conn., Thursday, said to have been the oldest hen in the United States.
In her youth, Eusatia was a prize-winning pedigreed beauty. When 15 years old her black plumage became white. She mothered a brood last spring and laid eggs in the fall.

Democrat Banner (Mo.) Feb. 8, 1845 Pg1

A soldier who had lost the best portion of his nose in battle, consoled himself with the observation that he should no more be told " something was as plain as the nose on his face."

Old 02-04-2023, 01:52 PM

The Missouri Herald June 30, 1922 Pg6

DESERT HEAT FATAL

Brawley, Cal., June, 27--- Death from heat prostration was the verdict reached by a coroner's jury yesterday at an inquest over the bodies of 3 men who died in the desert a few miles southeast of Niland, Cal., last Saturday.
It was estimated the temperature where the deaths occurred was between 132 and 152 degrees. Yet those heated valleys are in sight of snow-peaked mountains.

Sack Man

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Sack_Man

The Joshua Ward House

https://salemghosts.com/the-joshua-ward-house/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal