Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 03:01 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times

Advertisements

This has been known for a while, that there was a part of the Nile river which flowed near to the pyramids. It is also known there was a harbor nearby the pyramids too. Now they have pollen evidence of this.

I think they are trying to provide more evidence for their theory that the construction of the pyramids was done by transporting the stone this way. It is a paper which can be cited for circumstancial 'proof' of this in the future.

However, has anyone proved with practical real-life experiments that these huge blocks of stone can be transported by barge as they suggest happened?

Personally, I think that if the archeologists claim the workers could transport these multi-ton blocks then they should show us it can be done by transporting a stone block of the largest size used in the pyramid 10 miles up the Nile in a boat as used by the Eqyptians at the time. Get the stone block onto the papyrus barge, sail it up the Nile 10 miles and then get it off of the barge. Simple experiment - to show it can be done these days, so it probably could have been done in those days.

I doubt it can be done even today using the same materials they had then, (just like no-one has dragged a multi-ton stone up a mountain to other ancient sites) but I am willing to be shown otherwise.

Quote:
When the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids of Giza around 4,500 years ago, the Nile River had an arm — one that has long since vanished — with high water levels that helped laborers ship materials to their construction site, a new study finds.
Live Science link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 06:46 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This has been known for a while, that there was a part of the Nile river which flowed near to the pyramids. It is also known there was a harbor nearby the pyramids too. Now they have pollen evidence of this.

I think they are trying to provide more evidence for their theory that the construction of the pyramids was done by transporting the stone this way. It is a paper which can be cited for circumstancial 'proof' of this in the future.

However, has anyone proved with practical real-life experiments that these huge blocks of stone can be transported by barge as they suggest happened?

Personally, I think that if the archeologists claim the workers could transport these multi-ton blocks then they should show us it can be done by transporting a stone block of the largest size used in the pyramid 10 miles up the Nile in a boat as used by the Eqyptians at the time. Get the stone block onto the papyrus barge, sail it up the Nile 10 miles and then get it off of the barge. Simple experiment - to show it can be done these days, so it probably could have been done in those days.

I doubt it can be done even today using the same materials they had then, (just like no-one has dragged a multi-ton stone up a mountain to other ancient sites) but I am willing to be shown otherwise.

Live Science link
I saw a program, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, about a team led by an archaeologist that built a boat, supposedly using methods and tools from the era, for the purposed of transporting a stone block. The limestone block wasn't very big, nor was the boat, but as I recall at first the boat leaked, and then once that was fixed the stone's weight was just about at the limit of the boat. It was not an easy task. Of course, the weight a boat can carry is simply the weight of the water it displaces.

I this may be a short video on the project. The program I watched was one hour, minus advertisements. Obviously, the Egyptians didn't have cranes for loading the block onto the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0658C8tx0lw

Old 09-23-2022, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I saw a program, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, about a team led by an archaeologist that built a boat, supposedly using methods and tools from the era, for the purposed of transporting a stone block. The limestone block wasn't very big, nor was the boat, but as I recall at first the boat leaked, and then once that was fixed the stone's weight was just about at the limit of the boat. It was not an easy task. Of course, the weight a boat can carry is simply the weight of the water it displaces.

I this may be a short video on the project. The program I watched was one hour, minus advertisements. Obviously, the Egyptians didn't have cranes for loading the block onto the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0658C8tx0lw
But they would have had levers and fulcrums and that kind of thing, but even with those, there is a limit to the amount of weight a tree can stand as part of a lever. I just dont think they could have loaded the boats or floated the blocks to the pyramids.

I challenge the people on here who say the pyramids were built using those kind of tools levers, ramps, etc. to show us how it was done. And of course getting the stone blocks up mountains in other parts of the world.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
How did they move the stone statutes on Eastern Island?

Old 09-23-2022, 03:54 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
How did they move the stone statutes on Eastern Island?
https://pages.vassar.edu/realarchaeo...y-transported/
Quote:
In the oral history of the Rapa Nui people, the Moai were not “moved” but “walked”. Hunt and Lipo took this into concern. They also indicated that the deep groove of the eyes of the statues can be tied around with ropes, which probably was how the Rapa Nui ancestors pull the statues to turn and twist on the ground to “walk”. They replicate a statues weighed 5 tons, and found volunteers to move it. It was placed upright, as the history suggested, “standing” on the ground. Three groups of ropes were tied on the groove of the eye socket of the replica, and volunteers cooperated to pull and made the Moai twist. Using the 14°angles, the Moai leans forward while the people on two front sides (front-left and front-right) pull, and was pulled back by the third group to make another “step”. It didn’t take many people as originally imagined to move the Moai forward.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:31 AM

I think you will probably find it is a lot more difficult to 'walk' an average 14 ton stone than an example 5 ton stone, and you have to remember some are going to be probably 20 tons and some 10 tons to make that an average weight. I think if you are going to propose a solution to this problem, then it has to be shown that it can work with the proper weights and distances for the solution to be credible. Move a 14 ton stone once over the distance from quarry to final position and see what challenges arise. Doing a little 'walk' with a 5 ton stone is hardly real life solution. It is however a proof of concept perhaps.

Each 'step' is relatively small so it would take a long time to move them into position, and how far away was the quarry from their final position looking out to sea?

I dont know how many people were on the island at that time but you would need a fair number to man all three ropes. I just wonder how easy a job that keeping each rope tight, then slacking off one rope swinging the stone a step and then slacking off the next rope and so on, is going to be.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:20 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think you will probably find it is a lot more difficult to 'walk' an average 14 ton stone than an example 5 ton stone, and you have to remember some are going to be probably 20 tons and some 10 tons to make that an average weight. I think if you are going to propose a solution to this problem, then it has to be shown that it can work with the proper weights and distances for the solution to be credible. Move a 14 ton stone once over the distance from quarry to final position and see what challenges arise. Doing a little 'walk' with a 5 ton stone is hardly real life solution. It is however a proof of concept perhaps.

Each 'step' is relatively small so it would take a long time to move them into position, and how far away was the quarry from their final position looking out to sea?

I dont know how many people were on the island at that time but you would need a fair number to man all three ropes. I just wonder how easy a job that keeping each rope tight, then slacking off one rope swinging the stone a step and then slacking off the next rope and so on, is going to be.
To the bold parts. Yes work that takes minutes/days now used to take weeks/years. This is not rocket science that takes brains. This is moving heavy objects and all that takes is people and time. Something they had plenty of. If you spent 1/100th of the time you spend on your extraordinary claims and used it to search how things really work in our real world you would have the answer.

I would think most people with very little practice could easily figure out when to pull and when to release a rope. This is an extremely easy thing to do with no real special skills needed.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
If the pyramids were impossible to build how do they exist?

Old 09-23-2022, 09:59 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
If the pyramids were impossible to build how do they exist?
One word.............................aliens!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
One word.............................aliens!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, but for this next question I will not accept as an answer, "We dont know" and from your quoted post above, I will not accept "aliens" either..

How did they get massive blocks of stone up mountains to build these megalithic structures all over the world then? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal