Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 09:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It was unstable equilibrium.

The top of the carton was at a slight tilt and the salt shaker was ready to fall at the slightest movement of air or vibration int he floor or wall that gently shook the shelving.

It is not a paranormal source. It was just unstable equilibrium. The salt shaker happend to be placed at a spot on the carton where it was just barely stable, and it was only a matter of time before it fell.

I have had all kinds of objects fall like that around the house. I hear a bang and see it on the floor and I think "why did that fall" and in all cases I did a sloppy job of setting things down where they were on on a flat, stable surface.

Define "no vibration". Unless you wer all alone in the building with no machines of any kind operating, there is any number of things that can cause enough vibration to topple something that is at unstable equilibrium.
Definitely possible. But we need more info from the OP on the salt shaker's placement to make a determination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 11:20 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait a minute! If you can't have disembodied "footstep" sounds, what about the scads of reports of lights flickering, phones ringing with no one there a year after the deceased passed away, and various other unusual electrical phenomena that go beyond any possible odd "coincidence"? How do "they" manage to affect lights and whatnot, if they have no physical form?

Is consciousness an electro-magnetic phenomenon?

The laws of physics are incomplete as we know them. Knowledge of the physical world and how it operates is being revised and updated all the time. Einstein said "spooky action at a distance" was impossible, but he was proven wrong. He also said, "God does not play dice with the universe". Wrong again. Furthermore, what gets investigated and what doesn't is subject to the cultural bias of the scientists. They write off all kinds of phenomena as not "real", and therefore not worth investigating.
At bottom, I basically agree with everything you just wrote, but I still look for natural explanations first. I think that is the sensible thing to do. In the case of the salt cellar, I think it was not as stable on top of of the box as it may have looked upon glancing at it. I would feel satisfied with that explanation, although as you say, there may be something more to it, but I will always opt for a natural explanation if possible.

I know a woman who told me of a similar type of experience she had a few years ago. She was at home washing up dishes, and someone rang her doorbell. She was not expecting anyone and figured it was someone selling something, so she ignored the doorbell and kept washing up. She said the bifold doors on the food pantry off to the side and behind her were standing open. On one of the shelves she had a large glass jar of something (candies perhaps?). Anyway, suddenly she heard a loud, violent crash behind her. She turned to see what had happened and saw that the jar was broken in pieces on the kitchen floor. She insisted that the jar had been very stable on the shelf and could not have fallen and broken without something pushing it. Nothing I said could convince her otherwise.

So, finally, I asked her for what reason would a spirit have to cause that jar to crash and break on the floor, pray?? She said the jar crashed and broke just a few moments after she ignored the doorbell and whoever it was at the door departed. She opined that a spirit was angry because she was supposed to open the door and speak to whoever it was for some reason. Since she ignored the visitor, the spirit tried to communicate with her by forcing the jar off of the shelf.

Now, this sounded like a highly contrived explanation to me. It required so much explanation. What if no one had rung the doorbell just before the jar crashed and broke on the floor? What then? I just could not accept her hypothesis as plausible. The simplest and most likely explanation to my mind was that the jar was not as stable as she thought it was, and some vibration, perhaps the house settling or a passing vehicle or something, caused just enough movement to allow gravity to pull the jar from its shelf. I am sure other people could think of other explanations, but that was my thought. She obviously disagreed. I thought her explanation sounded like a superstitious explanation for something that the laws of physics could explain. I still think well of her of course. I respect that her sensibilities and beliefs are different than my own, but I cannot agree with her as to what caused the jar to fall and break.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:05 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Sounds like the ghost of a cat that died in the building. What else would shove stuff off just for the fun of it.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Sounds like the ghost of a cat that died in the building. What else would shove stuff off just for the fun of it.
Ha! Ha!! Too funny!!

Old 12-09-2022, 08:34 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
That defies the laws of physics. You cannot have disembodied "footsteps" for one thing. What were you drinking at the time?
I get it. I've heard footsteps in my house in the hallway upstairs and up and down the stairs. It's not just me that have heard them. Two teenagers hiding in the attic heard them come to the attic door and they heard the doorknob turning. One texted her boyfriend down stairs and asked why we didn't come in to find them. He texted back that we were all down stairs. They came running out of the attic. This is not the first time one of the boys hiding upstairs experienced that.
When they were younger we were hiding in the attic with two other girls. We just got up there and we all heard the doorknob turning. I went down and checked and no one was there.

Just two nights ago I heard the floor creaking above my head where our bed is and I thought my husband had just gone to bed. I went upstairs to get something and I asked him if he was just in the bedroom. He said no.

We frequently hear the hardware on our built in in the dining room clicking like someone is trying to open it.

The most dramatic and frightening event occurred when we first moved in. We were here for just days and I was alone taking a shower when I heard a loud kaboom against the shower door. It took a minute for me to get brave enough to look out. The towel that was hanging on the towel bar attached to the door was now a foot away as if someone had ripped it off the bar.

I've heard tapping on windows that went from one dining room window to the next and then into the bedroom right next to my head as I was getting something out of the closet in the bedroom off of the dining room.

It's not just here that weird things have happened to me.

My very first experience was at a friends house when I was around 12. Her and her sister shared a room in the basement. We kept hearing the doorknob turn and thought it was one of her brothers. I stood by the door and watched it turn and flung the door open. No one was there. Later that night I was sleeping on a cot when I felt and heard scratching on the bottom. I looked under it and nobody was there.

At one job I had just walked into the break room with another therapist. We sat down and the stethoscopes hanging on the hooked doorknob started moving almost like in slow motion. They went up to the right, then up to the left, and then straight down. We looked at each other like what the #$%@. I had to tell her that these things are common in my life and not to worry. I told her that sometimes electronics stop when I sit next to them

We went to some presentation at work with a projector. I sat next to it and it stopped working. She looked at me and we giggled. The same thing happened at my other job, but what was odd is that I willed it to stop, and it did.
When I worked in pediatrics I was telling some family members about my house and the strange experiences. Right behind me was a tub sitting on a night stand. If flew off and landed on the floor. They said something is following you. I said yes, it has been since childhood.

At my other hospital there have been many stories. We were all at the bedside admitting a new patient when the lights just turned off. No one was by the switch.

In another wing I watched the water turn itself back on after I turned it off. In the same room a clipboard fell off of the heater it was sitting on with no one near it. In that same room I was helping another therapist set it up for another patient. I told him about what happened in the room. We walked across the hall and heard boom, boom. boom. boom coming from inside the cabinets in the break room. No one was in the other offices in front of the break room. He looked at me and said "you're doing it." I laughed and said I'm just sitting right here.

I can go on and on about the strange things that have happened to me and how psychic I was when I was younger.

I don't understand it and I've long given up trying to. It's just part of me, although I wish I hadn't know about a friends suicide to the day before it happened. Sometimes this is a curse.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I get it. I've heard footsteps in my house in the hallway upstairs and up and down the stairs. It's not just me that have heard them. Two teenagers hiding in the attic heard them come to the attic door and they heard the doorknob turning. One texted her boyfriend down stairs and asked why we didn't come in to find them. He texted back that we were all down stairs. They came running out of the attic. This is not the first time one of the boys hiding upstairs experienced that.
When they were younger we were hiding in the attic with two other girls. We just got up there and we all heard the doorknob turning. I went down and checked and no one was there.

Just two nights ago I heard the floor creaking above my head where our bed is and I thought my husband had just gone to bed. I went upstairs to get something and I asked him if he was just in the bedroom. He said no.

We frequently hear the hardware on our built in in the dining room clicking like someone is trying to open it.

The most dramatic and frightening event occurred when we first moved in. We were here for just days and I was alone taking a shower when I heard a loud kaboom against the shower door. It took a minute for me to get brave enough to look out. The towel that was hanging on the towel bar attached to the door was now a foot away as if someone had ripped it off the bar.

I've heard tapping on windows that went from one dining room window to the next and then into the bedroom right next to my head as I was getting something out of the closet in the bedroom off of the dining room.

My very first experience was at a friends house when I was around 12. Her and her sister shared a room in the basement. We kept hearing the doorknob turn and thought it was one of her brothers. I stood by the door and watched it turn and flung the door open. No one was there. Later that night I was sleeping on a cot when I felt and heard scratching on the bottom. I looked under it and nobody was there.

At one job I had just walked into the break room with another therapist. We sat down and the stethoscopes hanging on the hooked doorknob started moving almost like in slow motion. They went up to the right, then up to the left, and then straight down. We looked at each other like what the #$%@. I had to tell her that these things are common in my life and not to worry. I told her that sometimes electronics stop when I sit next to them

We went to some presentation at work with a projector. I sat next to it and it stopped working. She looked at me and we giggled. The same thing happened at my other job, but what was odd is that I willed it to stop, and it did.
When I worked in pediatrics I was telling some family members about my house and the strange experiences. Right behind me was a tub sitting on a night stand. If flew off and landed on the floor. They said something is following you. I said yes, it has been since childhood.

At my other hospital there have been many stories. We were all at the bedside admitting a new patient when the lights just turned off. No one was by the switch.

In another wing I watched the water turn itself back on after I turned it off. In the same room a clipboard fell off of the heater it was sitting on with no one near it. In that same room I was helping another therapist set it up for another patient. I told him about what happened in the room. We walked across the hall and heard boom, boom. boom. boom coming from inside the cabinets in the break room. No one was in the other offices in front of the break room. He looked at me and said "you're doing it." I laughed and said I'm just sitting right here.

I can go on and on about the strange things that have happened to me and how psychic I was when I was younger.

I don't understand it and I've long given up trying to. It's just part of me, although I wish I hadn't know about a friends suicide to the day before it happened. Sometimes this is a curse.
If you really believe this, why have not you done something to stop it? Have you spoken with a priest? I would be on edge 24/7 if I thought something supernatural was following me around.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:27 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

I wish my life, was still as interesting, but I too know, that they are still with me.

I know it's a while, but a few years ago, I was standing in my field, behind my house, just taking in the sunset, looking at all the work I'd done that day, and my wife called me, and said she was just about to shout to me to tell me there were a couple of people in our field, but realised that one of them was me. I was on alone out there.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:42 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Some people are just discovering gravity 400 years after Newton.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:14 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Do you have high blood pressure by any chance? Maybe that's the spirit world trying to communicate with you to cut out the salt. No more potato chips for you.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
I need to clarify the shaker fell like it was pushed. It wasn't teetering at the edge of the shelf.

The other thing about this is even if there had been other witnesses to this event, or the off chance someone had been recording video, who would expect something like that to happen?

I'm grateful this sort of experience is rarity to me, it would bother me too much if this was a common experience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal