Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,132 times

Advertisements

2012 could be MAJOR UFO event. Its interestring because the ancients believed that their "gods" would return to earth in 2012 AD. Those gods could have been mistaken for ETs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
GCS: I agree completely...I didn't mean I believe the planets lining up will cause disaster...just wanted to comment that I heard some other folks discussing it on TV. As far as the poles shifting...that is factual and has happened before, but I can't help wondering how long that would take to occur and what affect it would have? Climate change, most likely.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Should we start the countdown party ? I mean , if we only have 4 years we might as well go with a big bang !
Anyone with me ?

If catastrophe is about to hit in such a big way let's get down and boogie....

Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Should we start the countdown party ? I mean , if we only have 4 years we might as well go with a big bang !
Anyone with me ?

If catastrophe is about to hit in such a big way let's get down and boogie....
Mooseketeer, I'm with you on that,let's have a big party.....

Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,132 times
Just remember the movie "Independence Day"

Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I kinda liked "Mars Attacks" better.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ummmm... As far as the planets lining up and shifting the gravity of the Earth. That actually defies Einstein's Laws of Relativity. If the planets lined up and miraculously "switched" the Earth's gravity or orbit in a single day it would bring us back to Newtonian physics.

In all reality, if the planets did line up it would take time for things like this to happen.

I'll revert back to my large bowling ball on a very large trampoline argument. In essence, according to Einsteinian physics, if a bowling ball were lying on the middle of a trampoline, the fabric of space would warp around it much in the same way that the fabric of a trampoline would warp around the bowling ball. Now, imagine that orbiting this bowling ball are several smaller balls of different sizes. If, our bowling ball were to

disappear, according to Newtonian physics (who did not see a "stretching" of space), all of the other balls would be instantaneously cast out of orbit. INCORRECT.

In Einstein's theory, it would actually take time for this to happen if the sun were to just disappear. It would only be until a ripple effect (think of the trampoline fabric springing upwards and casting our orbiting balls off the path once the bowling ball is removed) of "leftover" gravity pushed our planets off their orbital plain. In other words, photons are energy particles pushed out from the sun. It takes eight minutes to reach Earth. How long for gravity.

So, if we are going to be so meticulous as to say that on the 21Dec2012, the planets will line up and the Earth will be flipped over than I call that a bunch of baloney. By the time the "ripple" (which is unlikely as Neptune will STILL be there) made it from Neptune to here the Earth would once again be off the beaten path and that would negate the entire premise of this sort of "instantaneous flipping". To further on that, even if it did happen, it wouldn't be on the 21st of December but more likely on the 22nd or 23rd given the distance of some of our planets from Earth. I'm not buying this one just as much as I'm not buying Y2K. Why do people always try to find doomsday prophecies in interesting dates? Why weren't we scared to death when last week we had 06/07/08?? I mean... what are the chances?!?!

Edit: So here is what is being suggested by the prophecy seekers. On our vast trampoline, the nine "balls" rotating around the sun will line up at a certain date. Why should we assume that the third ball from the center of our solar system will just become so loopy and out of whack that it will destroy everything? There's really nothing to suggest that. Gravitational fields are gravitational fields. They don't just combine forces in a certain alignment and direct their gravitational energy towards a single planet. Furthermore, seeing as that gravity is the weakest force in the universe, I find it highly unlikely that it would cumulatively overcome the current state of the Earth and the electromagnetic force. By the way, the electromagnetic force in the universe is 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than gravity. I'll just be sitting around watching football on Dec. 21, 2012 while everyone else is cowering in their bunkers.

Wow!!! You lost me a bit!!! You sound very knowledgable about this. Please keep looking in your telescope, if you see anything strange tell us.lol Hopefully, it's all a load of bunkem!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Wow!!! You lost me a bit!!! You sound very knowledgable about this. Please keep looking in your telescope, if you see anything strange tell us.lol Hopefully, it's all a load of bunkem!
Honestly, this is 9th grade physics. As one of the other posters mentioned, the poles can and do shift. Magnetic North is always changing from True North and there is evidence to suggest they've completely reversed over many thousands of years. But, to assert that the multiplied gravitational forces of aligned planets is going to instantaneously throw us off and have our own planet do the weeble-wobble is ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
GCSTroop- Seeing as how so much of our society is dependent on some sort of electronics. Would the shift have a major effect on how these functioned? Also, If the moon can effect our tides, would this alignment cause any higher or lower tides?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
GCSTroop- Seeing as how so much of our society is dependent on some sort of electronics. Would the shift have a major effect on how these functioned? Also, If the moon can effect our tides, would this alignment cause any higher or lower tides?
No. I seriously doubt that we're going to see anything abnormal at all. It's just going to be another day. Just like 06-06-06 was about two years ago and 1-1-00 was several years ago. Just another day.

What can and will ruin electronics are electromagnetic pulses. Not strong gravity.

It'll be just another day of football and junk food for me. Unless, of course, something weird happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal