Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
OK... I know we've had this topic at least twice before... But can anyone explain to me what is supposed to happen on December 21, 2012 and why you think that it is scientifically plausible that we should expect an end to the Earth on this date?

And by scientifically plausible, I mean scientifically tested theories backed by observational realities using strict methodologies that is peer reviewed. Or is it just another one of those shows on the History channel?
If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with the Mayan calendar, though I've never been quite clear on the details. Possibly because I take it with a grain of salt, as I do any predictions about the world ending. Not that the world couldn't go, "kaboom", of course. I suppose that is possible. Or, even just go cold and die, because of it's age; I've seen shows, (maybe it was the History Channel), that discussed something to that effect. But, since I don't believe the Mayans, the Christians, or anyone else can make any sort of accurate predictions, I don't worry about. Even if it was going to happen in our lifetimes, (which I seriously doubt), we probably wouldn't be able to change or stop it, (unless it has anything to do with asteroids, and Bruce Willis is involved!), so why worry?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I guess its in between. Some people post propoganda on YT.
Agree or Disagree:

I am able to distinguish from propaganda because I know it when I see it and I do not need to check anything else because of my intuition.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
How many ends of the world we already had?? Geez, all my life i've heard dates and years of the world end.
If anything, we should already have one by now. No?

Pathetic!
The only end will be when either huge asteroid hits the earth, or we blow ourselves up. Even then, someone out to survive.

Reference: Mayanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The significance of this date in Mayanism stems from the ending of the current baktun cycle of the Maya calendar in 2012, which many believe will create a global "consciousness shift" and the beginning of a new age. This concept was introduced by New Age spiritual leader José Argüelles in his book The Mayan Factor (1987) and promoted at the 1987 Harmonic Convergence. The astronomical conjunction of the black hole at the center of the galaxy with the winter solstice Sun on December 21, 2012, referred to by John Major Jenkins in Galactic Alignment as having been predicted by the ancient Maya and others, is a much-anticipated event in Mayanism. Although Jenkins suggests that ancient Maya knowledge of this event was based on observations of the "dark rift" in the Milky Way as seen from Earth, others see it as evidence of knowledge imparted via ancient contact with extraterrestrial intelligence (ancient astronaut theories). The relevance of modern "dark rift" observations to Pre-Columbian and traditional Maya beliefs is strongly debated, and academic archaeologists reject all theories regarding extraterrestrial contact, but it is clear that the promotion of Mayanism through interest in 2012 is contributing to the evolution of religious syncretism in contemporary Maya communities.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I don't believe that the world will end in 2012, but I've had moderate success in using it as a pick-up line.

Quote:
Tricky D: I believe the world will end in 2012, so you really should grab your chance if ya wanna get to know me.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
This is another one of those "magic" things, nobody knows how it's supposed to happen but for those who believe it will, no reasonably explored mechanism is needed

Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
No...the earth will eventually rid Herself of mankind but She has survived billions of years already and she will survive a few billion more before gradually being swallowed by our imploding sun.

Last edited by esselcue; 07-24-2008 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 AM

249 posts, read 532,041 times
Default Civilization in its present form hasn't got long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Can somebody help me out here? This have been bugging me for some time now. Do you think the world is going to end at December 1?, 2012? What are your opinions on that day?
No.. The world will probably be around till the sun dies.. which could take another 5 billion years.

However.. the human race probably isn't going to be around much longer. Once the polar ice melts.. and the perma frost thaws out.. we are gona be in serious trouble. It seems there is tons of methane gas.. which is much worse the co2.. locked into the frost which is going to be released into the atmostphere accelerating global warming even further.

This effects the weather... which in turn effects our ability to grow food.. so with a population that is rising far too rapidly.. many will starve to death.. social order will break down.. and if any survive.. life will return to living like primitives.. survival of the fittest.

Our planet is a chemical system.. and our influences seem to be altering it far too radically.

It's depressing.. isn't it.

The good news is.. the planet will recover.. and will be better off without us.

Evolution will come up with some new species.. maybe even something like us.

Who knows.. really.

----

"Civilization in its present form hasn't got long. Climatologists are all agreed that we'd be lucky to see the end of this century without the world being a totally different place, and being 8 or 9 degrees hotter on average."

"All the modelling we do shows that the climate is poised on the jump up to a new hot state. It is accelerating so fast that you could say that we are already in it."

"A billion could live off the earth; 6 billion living as we do is far too many, and you run out of planet in no time."

James Lovelock

-

Last edited by accelerator; 07-24-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
No, I don't think this ole world will "end" on that day...It should be fun listening to all the "evidence" pointing to the end of the world. though..I think the winter solstice occurrs on the 21 of December every year..

Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
I'm just now realizing how easy it will be to make some $$ from this 12/21/12 hysteria. Unfortunately, I missed out on Y2K - I should have been selling water barrels or something...hmm...how to part these particular fools from their money...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Wink I'm an eternal optimist because I only see opportunities in life!

Originally Posted by b. frank
Quote:
hmm...how to part these particular fools from their money...
Create a survival guide; a how-to guide to survive 12-12-2012, but give them 2 titles:
1. The ultimate survival guide to survive 12-12-2012
2. The ultimate survival guide to survive 12-12-2012 for dummies.
[ Actually the 2 guides are the same guide (the only difference is that guide #2 has way more pictures) but people who buy guide #2 won't notice the difference anyway]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal