Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:15 PM

740 posts, read 456,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I can't imagine having that happen for or five times a night. That's terrifying.

The sleep paralysis isn't what scares me. It's the night terror prior to the sleep paralysis that scars me. The night terror were horrific...I would be dreaming and suddenly I feel an evil presence in my bedroom and that evil is what wakes up my brain. That evil is so terrifying, it has this feeling of hopelessness, emptiness, blackness, just exude pure darkness. My mind is alerted and my senses are going off...telling me I need to get up. Get up now. Often times, I am never fast enough to wake my body.

The first couple of years where the worst. On average, I get 3-4 sleep paralysis but some nights the night terror and sleep paralysis happens over and over, repeatedly nonstop until the morning comes. Those were the nights I lost count of how many times it happens. Being trap in my body wasn't the most annoying part. It's the loud buzzing noise and the shaking and rattling of my brain nonstop until I can free myself from it. There were many times that I was so tired, I can only free myself for a second only to fall back asleep and right into the same nightmare a few seconds later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 03:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
mikefong, if that were me I woulda gone to every Metaphysical Fair around to find someone to help me.
They exist! Not too late. Good luck.
All it takes is the right person who knows the right person.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:59 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
The sleep paralysis isn't what scares me. It's the night terror prior to the sleep paralysis that scars me. The night terror were horrific...I would be dreaming and suddenly I feel an evil presence in my bedroom and that evil is what wakes up my brain. That evil is so terrifying, it has this feeling of hopelessness, emptiness, blackness, just exude pure darkness. My mind is alerted and my senses are going off...telling me I need to get up. Get up now. Often times, I am never fast enough to wake my body.

The first couple of years where the worst. On average, I get 3-4 sleep paralysis but some nights the night terror and sleep paralysis happens over and over, repeatedly nonstop until the morning comes. Those were the nights I lost count of how many times it happens. Being trap in my body wasn't the most annoying part. It's the loud buzzing noise and the shaking and rattling of my brain nonstop until I can free myself from it. There were many times that I was so tired, I can only free myself for a second only to fall back asleep and right into the same nightmare a few seconds later.
Then you can't get rest and then it gets worse. How old are you now? I hope it gets better for you as you age because I don't think there are any real treatments for this kind of thing. The last one I had was a few years back and my fear center didn't get triggered. I used it to lucid dream and I floated along the ceiling for a while.

Edit: I just saw you already gave your age as 46. That's a long time to have to deal with this.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Then you can't get rest and then it gets worse. How old are you now? I hope it gets better for you as you age because I don't think there are any real treatments for this kind of thing. The last one I had was a few years back and my fear center didn't get triggered. I used it to lucid dream and I floated along the ceiling for a while.

It has been a part of my life for 30 years now. It has subsided a lot since it first occurred 30 years ago. I get it once a month, or twice a month and even sometimes, only once in a couple of months. Sometimes, nothing happens for months. It just varies. After 30 years, I am able to react much faster, most of the time I'm able to wake myself up before being trap in a sleep paralysis...but it's still no fun when my brain is awaken because it sense evil in my room or when I feel something crawling on my mattress and my brain is trying force my body to wake.

Honestly, I don't even know what is that I first encountered 30 years ago that started triggering night terror and sleep paralysis. Being open minded, I can say that it may be a ghost, a spirit, a something...but when I try to be logical, I think to myself, it may just be hallucination due to chemical imbalanced in my brain that caused me to see things I didn't really see. Hard to say. I just don't know. The only thing I know is it has caused me PSTD for a very long time.

Last edited by mikefong123; 10-21-2020 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
It has been a part of my life for 30 years now. It has subsided a lot since it first occurred 30 years ago. I only get it now once or twice a month. Sometimes, only once in a couple of months. It just depends on my luck. After 30 years, I am able to react much faster, most of the time I'm able to wake myself up before being trap in a sleep paralysis...but it's still no fun when my brain is awaken because it sense evil in my room or when I feel something crawling on my mattress and my brain is trying force my body to wake.

Honestly, I don't even know what is that I first encountered 30 years ago that started triggering night terror and sleep paralysis. Being open minded, I can say that it may be a ghost, a spirit, a something...but when I try to be logical, I think to myself, it may just be hallucination due to chemical imbalanced in my brain that caused me to see things I didn't really see. Hard to say. I just don't know. The only thing I know is it has caused me PSTD for a very long time.
I read your story on the other thread. I can't explain the initial thing with having to go back into bed and what happened then. The rest of it is explainable. How much of the medical side of this have you researched? I got the same buzzing in my head and it's my understanding it's from vibration in the inner ear. I got the same sense of dread and the feeling of a presence from the fear center being activated. I once had an auditory Hypnagogic hallucination when I was sitting on the couch. My daughter had lots of them. There are also visual hallucinations associated with SP. That's one possible explanation.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I read your story on the other thread. I can't explain the initial thing with having to go back into bed and what happened then. The rest of it is explainable. How much of the medical side of this have you researched? I got the same buzzing in my head and it's my understanding it's from vibration in the inner ear. I got the same sense of dread and the feeling of a presence from the fear center being activated. I once had an auditory Hypnagogic hallucination when I was sitting on the couch. My daughter had lots of them. There are also visual hallucinations associated with SP. That's one possible explanation.

I have done research on sleep paralysis and PSTD but I have not research about what causes hallucination. I think because I'm a type of person who believes what I see or hear, I have a hard time accepting hallucination explanations. But this I know for sure...RIGHT before I begin to see things or hear things that are unexplainable...All my senses go crazy. I often wonder when my senses go crazy, what really is actually happening is my brain being imbalance at that very moment by something, causing me to hallucinate.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I have done research on sleep paralysis and PSTD but I have not research about what causes hallucination. I think because I'm a type of person who believes what I see or hear, I have a hard time accepting hallucination explanations. But this I know for sure...RIGHT before I begin to see things or hear things that are unexplainable...All my senses go crazy. I often wonder when my senses go crazy, what really is actually happening is my brain being imbalance at that very moment by something, causing me to hallucinate.
Do you lean toward it being a hallucination or are you thinking something was in your room that day at 16? I think those spidey senses are the result of the activation of the fear center. It could be something was there so it was activated or it was activated so you saw something there. I lean toward the latter especially since all of your stories involved sleep somehow.

Have you ever tried using one of those episodes to lucid dream?

Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
When you go to sleep, certain chemicals are released into your body to prevent you from moving - nothing really spiritual about it.
This belief does not make sense. Some people can leap up out of sleep and be active immediately. For example, I am a light sleeper and can immediately wake up, get up and deal with a problem. If what you suggest is true, then everyone should be unable to move when they sleep, and that is clearly not the case.

There must be something more to it than just a release of chemicals in our body to prevent us acting out our dreams.

How do scientists know when the body awakens? They can measure the brainwaves, but the body is not separate from the brain which drives it. I call BS on this one.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 10-21-2020 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 06:17 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:

I have recounted this one previously but I think it deserves a re-airing. Earlier in my life I used to get the kind of dreams which many people get - the ones of being chased and then you wake up just before the scary 'thing' catches you.

Eventually, I realised it was myself, my astral body, returning to my body and it was my brain which was registering this return just before I woke up. It scared my brain that something was coming up from behind that I had no idea what it was. Once I realised this is nothing to be scared of and it is only me returning to my body, all these scary being-chased dreams stopped. So, anyone who is having these scary being-chased dreams - if you can realise that this astral travel thing is a reality, then you can stop having them.

It is said that we ALL separate from our body each night and float above our physical to recharge our energies. This is rather like overnight recharging an electric car. Falling sensations are the astral coming back into the physical too quickly. (It normally happens calmly and peacefully once the "battery" is fully charged)

This is a link to a post on CD which has a link to a forum on Astral Travel and Out of Body Experiences. It may be what is being experienced here.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I have recounted this one previously but I think it deserves a re-airing. Earlier in my life I used to get the kind of dreams which many people get - the ones of being chased and then you wake up just before the scary 'thing' catches you.

Eventually, I realised it was myself, my astral body, returning to my body and it was my brain which was registering this return just before I woke up. It scared my brain that something was coming up from behind that I had no idea what it was. Once I realised this is nothing to be scared of and it is only me returning to my body, all these scary being-chased dreams stopped. So, anyone who is having these scary being-chased dreams - if you can realise that this astral travel thing is a reality, then you can stop having them.

It is said that we ALL separate from our body each night and float above our physical to recharge our energies. This is rather like overnight recharging an electric car. Falling sensations are the astral coming back into the physical too quickly. (It normally happens calmly and peacefully once the "battery" is fully charged)

This is a link to a post on CD which has a link to a forum on Astral Travel and Out of Body Experiences. It may be what is being experienced here.
That was an interesting link. I've seen steps to astral project and they are the same things to avoid SP. I started trying to see if I could lucid dream by asking myself during the day if I'm dreaming. It has resulted in one time asking the same question when I was. I knew instantly the answer was yes and I got to float for about 1 second before I woke up. My trouble is staying asleep because I've been conditioned to wake myself up because of the SP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal