U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 09:50 AM

8,474 posts, read 4,823,635 times

Advertisements

Yep. Very scary
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 09:37 PM

29,154 posts, read 28,185,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep. Very scary
In my experiences, it wasn't that bad. I've woken up in the middle of the night and couldn't move. I was worried that I might wet the bed because I couldn't move. It took a minute or two for me to realize that I was awake, breathing, safe, and that peeing my pants wasn't the worst thing that could happen.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:47 PM

4,530 posts, read 4,020,169 times
In the spirit of putting all similar things together in one thread...
Last night I woke myself up from a dream because I was kicking out at something and in real life I did kick out at something too. Since it was a scary situation in the dream, I kicked out in real life really violently which would have seriously hurt someone if it connected - which thankfully it didn't.

Anyway, the point is, I am getting completely the opposite of sleep paralysis, so how does that work? What makes people think on here we are paralysed during sleep as clearly we are not all, and some people, kids mainly, even sleep walk too.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:54 AM

757 posts, read 143,552 times
Just in case no one has mentioned it, THE TERROR THAT COMES IN THE NIGHT by David Hufford is an excellent serious study of this phenomenon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X58MYS0...ng=UTF8&btkr=1.

It typically occurs in the hypnopompic (waking up) stage.

I have experienced it exactly twice in 71 years, both within a week in the middle of the afternoon after dozing off in 1988. It was indeed terrifying, with an overpowering darkness and sense of Evil. I was able to snap myself out of it both times, but it was a struggle.

Our manufactured home had been moved onto a vacant ten acres outside Prescott, Arizona only a few months before. Nothing had previously been located on the property. The area was littered with Indian artifacts and ruins. I've always kind of wondered if perhaps we disturbed some Native American spirits.

It may have been nothing supernatural, but it was odd that it occurred twice in one week, never before and never sinec. Anyway, it didn't break my heart to sell the place a year or so later.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:47 PM

757 posts, read 445,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In the spirit of putting all similar things together in one thread...
Last night I woke myself up from a dream because I was kicking out at something and in real life I did kick out at something too. Since it was a scary situation in the dream, I kicked out in real life really violently which would have seriously hurt someone if it connected - which thankfully it didn't.

Anyway, the point is, I am getting completely the opposite of sleep paralysis, so how does that work? What makes people think on here we are paralysed during sleep as clearly we are not all, and some people, kids mainly, even sleep walk too.
That's a good point; I hadn't considered this.

It reminded me that, not long ago, I had a dream where I swung my fist at
someone in frustration (I don't do this in real life ). While dreaming this,
I really did throw a punch into the air, and that's what woke me. No paralysis
happening, there either, it seems.

Maybe there are times where the brain doesn't release enough of the stuff
that immobilizes us during sleep, and the result is physical activity during
the dream phase (?).

Old 11-25-2020, 01:25 AM

4,530 posts, read 4,020,169 times
Quote:
Maybe there are times where the brain doesn't release enough of the stuff
that immobilizes us during sleep, and the result is physical activity during
the dream phase (?).
Possibly, but we have now these two examples at least, and the thousands of kids who go sleep walking as well on this side of the argument. That looks like to me as if the scientists may have got it wrong with the sleep paralysis being something that happens to everyone. I do not doubt that it happens, but my money is definitely on the pre-stages to an out-of-body travel incident which they(scientists) cannot measure so they dont want to acknowledge.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:07 PM

40 posts, read 11,785 times
I didn't read this entire thread but I used to get these 'night terrors' 22 years ago or so. I was then 35 and had them happen for about a year on and off. They were exactly as described by the OP: extreme fear, inability to move or 'wake up'. Along with the feeling that there was an evil presence in the room and I was in extreme danger. This was the most scared I've ever been in my life. Shortly after the last one I got mrried, and it never happened again. I sometimes wonder if having somebody in bed with me every night was what kept whatever it was from happening. To someone who's never experienced it though, it's hard to explain just how terrifying this feeling is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal