U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM

31,996 posts, read 33,580,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Umm, that's not a dream, it's a sleep paralysis.....

You just corrected yourself.
No, I think you just misunderstood. Sleep paralysis does not happen while you are asleep, but either just before one falls asleep or just after awakening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,535,057 times
Soul Smack

Available on DVD

Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,120,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I have experienced sleep paralysis a few times before several years ago, and I've even read later about it from both scientific-minded books and psychic/medium books.

I have come to the conclusion, after long thinking, that sleep paralysis may in fact be a spiritual experience, if at least a little.

The reason I say this is because it's during sleep (unconscious), it's nearing dreams, and at times, it gives you feelings sometimes that you don't get while awake.

During one of my sleep paralysis (this may be the case for you also), I felt I was being pinned down (literally I couldn't move for minutes), and I literally felt the most evil presence maybe about 8 or 10 feet away. It actually felt like two distinct evil presences once, but evil nonetheless.

The reason I say this is because, I've never felt evil feelings from anything while I'm normally awake. This means the experience made me feel things I've never even experienced. And unless the brain can somehow produce feelings where you're literally wearing an extreme evil feeling, I'm going to believe sleep paralysis is from a demon or The Devil attacking people.

I've experienced this twice in my life. The first time in college with full blown terrifying hallucinations. When I woke up the next morning I didn't think anything of it other than a nightmare...be it one that stuck with me. Second time it happened a few years later. This time I felt the suffocation effect. This is when I learned what sleep paralysis was after researching the "symptoms".

For what it's worth, there are people/books that believe sleep paralysis is a step in achieving out of body experiences. There are websites dedicated to this such as this one: Afterlife Knowledge Topics

This stuff is a bit out there and I'm not saying I believe any of it, but it is fascinating.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,337,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post

For what it's worth, there are people/books that believe sleep paralysis is a step in achieving out of body experiences. There are websites dedicated to this such as this one: Afterlife Knowledge Topics

This stuff is a bit out there and I'm not saying I believe any of it, but it is fascinating.
Yep, utterly fascinating what the human mind can come up with to avoid believing a logical, factual scientific explanation for something.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,250,335 times
Quote:
I have experienced sleep paralysis a few times before several years ago, and I've even read later about it from both scientific-minded books and psychic/medium books.

I have come to the conclusion, after long thinking, that sleep paralysis may in fact be a spiritual experience, if at least a little.

The reason I say this is because it's during sleep (unconscious), it's nearing dreams, and at times, it gives you feelings sometimes that you don't get while awake.

During one of my sleep paralysis (this may be the case for you also), I felt I was being pinned down (literally I couldn't move for minutes), and I literally felt the most evil presence maybe about 8 or 10 feet away. It actually felt like two distinct evil presences once, but evil nonetheless.

The reason I say this is because, I've never felt evil feelings from anything while I'm normally awake. This means the experience made me feel things I've never even experienced. And unless the brain can somehow produce feelings where you're literally wearing an extreme evil feeling, I'm going to believe sleep paralysis is from a demon or The Devil attacking people.
I know exactly what you mean! It happens to me every now and then, but I can't even say anything out loud, my whole body is paralyzed, but I pray in my mind for God to make it go away and it lasts for a few minutes. Its horrible. Oh and I used to take sleeping pills before I would go to bed so that I would sleep the whole night without experiencing anything bad. This might sound stupid but I have a fear of the dark sometimes, it makes me uneasy.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM

38,873 posts, read 22,011,410 times
Default Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

Quote:

So, sleep paralysis isn't a semiconscious dream state, but rather it's evil spirits sneaking in to try to steal your soul?

Don't forget to watch out for the monsters under your bed that come out when mom turns off the light.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,343,858 times
It started with me when I was around 2, and my mother had the same experience I had, with a light up in the corner of the room and not being able to move. She heard me screaming in the other room, but couldn't get up to find out why. When she finally got in there, she found out I was having the same experience. I'm sure it's happened since then and I just forgot about it somehow, but it happened again a couple of months ago. I started to wake up, convinced someone was breaking into my house. I heard a loud static sound out in the hallway and then I knew somebody was in the room with me. I couldn't move for a couple of minutes, and then I could and was filled with sheer terror and adrenaline. Then I spent the rest of the night reading up on the phenomenon. Last night, it happened again, but I was prepared for it this time. I woke up to hear loud radio static again, and my brother, out in the hall (he lives 350 miles away and definitely wasn't in town) yelling "look up at the ceiling". I realized what was happening before I tried to move (I was paralyzed again), so it didn't have the same terrifying effect this time. I really need to try not to fall asleep on my back (I usually can't sleep that way), but I had two cats sleeping between my feet at the time, so I couldn't roll over. Luckily, they weren't on my chest, trying to steal my breath.

Other than the OP's wildly misinformed superstitions, what in the world is this still doing in the religion forum? Somebody needs to read up on hypnagogic and hypnopompic sleep. Maybe quantum physics, too?

Last edited by creepsinc; 12-14-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,664,438 times
I am prone to sleep paralysis if I sleep on my back and have experienced it many times over the years. The imagery I am confronted with is never demons or supernatural evil forces such as Christians often experience. Last time it was home invasion/robbers in the traditional role of "old hag", and it terrified me to my marrow.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,609,627 times
Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

Yup, my grandmother said it is when the brain wakes up before the body does. It isn't evil, it is just a quirk.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM

12,172 posts, read 16,189,627 times
It just amazes me that in this day and age, a person will still attribute bad things they don't understand to the devil, and good things they can't comprehend to god.

Funny so many posters mention they experienced sleep paralysis during their teen years, as I too can recall those events during my teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal