Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this on the NJ sight looking for confirmation.

While passing thru Tuckahoe NJ when I was a kid (1950's) my dad would look for Clem Turner. According to dad when Clem died he put in his will that he did not want to be buried but continually have his embalming fluid changed (to preserve him). Then he was to be sat on the porch between noon and 1PM with a dish of clams in his lap. We never went thru Tuckahoe at that time. My brother, sister and I figured it was just a tall tale until one day my dad came home with a newspaper with the story of how the town had Clem's will overturned and he was put to rest. My dad died 40 years ago so I have no way of finding out which paper it was in. Anyone out there in or from NJ heard this story? Help me convince my wife and kids that I'm not nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
One of our urban legends isn't so urban. The legend of the Michigan Dog-man. There used to be a great youtube video, but I think it has been removed because they are re-issuing it.

YouTube - The Legend of Michigan's Dogman
The Legend of Michigan's Dogman

The other concerns the Michigan Central railroad tunnel between Detroit and Windsor. Supposedly hundreds of young men resisting the draft in the 60's walked the tunnel to "escape" into Canada. Crossing into Canada was no big deal then. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't just drive through the car tunnel or across the Ambassdor bridge.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,899 times
Here is an interesting site all about urban legends...

Urban Legends Reference Pages

Old 06-06-2008, 03:04 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,696 times
200-220 lb. mountain lion this past Dec. 2007 was found barely alive near Williams, AZ.
Male mountain lions usually top-out at 80-130lbs., so this is definately a freak of nature. HUGE, check it out on Snopes.com.
It is a new urban legend, though true!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
The deputy was gone about 15 minutes when he suddenly ran back. He was out of breath and said, just get into your car and lock the doors. He continued to his squad car. Soon, two more squads came near the place where the deputy was parked. They drove up with their headlights off. That seemed strange. Then another squad drove up also with its lights off. The deputies, now seven in all, walked toward the barn. The initial deputy was whispering to the others as they walked away from us. We waited a long time and wondered why we were never told what the first officer saw or why we were told to lock our car doors. We were too curious to just leave.
All of a sudden, one of the deputies ran back to us and told us to leave right away. We asked why and he said, leave now, in a loud stern voice. I have never been in trouble with the law and asked my son to drive away. He drove about two blocks away but parked where we could see the squads and part of the barn. We sat there in the dark and watched for activity.
Son, another vehicle came upon the scene. This one was flashing the lights on his light bar and the headlights were flashing. He pulled into the area and skidded to a stop near the barn. A few minutes later a van pulled up to the barn. Then the squad with the lights still flashing pulled his car into a position to shine the headlights on the barn and the van. We could then see that the van was the coroners van. We watched as they brought a black body bag type thing out of the van and into the barn. We could see the flashing of lights like that of a flash camera. They came out a short time later, carrying the bag by handles. It was now filled with something. The bag went into the van and it left the area. The squad cars remained.
We waited for an hour and the only action at the barn was more flashing light coming from the open barn door. We could not see into the door from our vantage point. We finally decided to go back to my son’s home. We told the story to our wives who just laughed. We said, no, we are serious. We finally convinced them that we were telling the truth.
The next morning we couldn’t wait to see the morning paper and read about the story. We paged through the paper and found nothing. We thought that it would be a front page story. Nothing! My son called the sheriff’s department. He explained who he was and why he was calling. They told him that nothing had been reported. He again said what had happened and that all the deputies were there. The deputy said again, “nothing had happened in that area!†The next morning’s paper had nothing about what we had seen. Discouraged, my son decided to call a friend who happened to be a deputy in a neighboring county. He told him the story and he said that he would check it out.
About an hour later the friend called my son’s home. My son listened and made few comments and then hung up. My son said that he was told not to bring this up again. His friend admitted that we were not imagining things, but that the incident was closed to the public. He said that he had spoken to a buddy on the department and that he would only say that it was a matter handled by the sheriff. It was some type of high priority incident. His buddy had asked him not to call anyone about it and to just forget about it.
My son was really disappointed because this friend had gone deer hunting with him for years. To have him say that he shouldn’t ask about it anymore was just out of character. My son said that he would attempt to find out more the next deer hunting season. Maybe his friend knew more than he was saying. My son said that he stammered when he spoke and that he has never done that in the past. He seemed very nervous. My son added that, maybe, after a few beers on the next hunting trip he might spill the story.
We can just wait. Sure seems strange. We know what we saw and heard! Why would this be so secret? What could they have found that would not be told to the public? Here I was, nosing around in an area of beast sightings just to get a feel for the story when I got involved in something way over my head. I’m not sure that the beast exists but what did happen here on the night we were there?
So did you ever find out what it was?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
it might not be a legend but they say that in enid norce our mentally challeeneged living facility is haunted late at night you will hear weeping screaming and doors opening closing and talking

Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I grew up in the neighborhood right next to this orphange while it was still in operation. I remember the night before we moved I cried because I just got the most awful feeling from the house we were moving into.

Miami Children's Home, River Road. The old orphanage has 18 buildings, 16 of which are connected by catacombs. Legend has it that children were abused and beaten and sent down to the boiler room for punishment. The orphanage has been closed down for some time now. Some explorers found a door leading to a basement of one of the buildings that was left ajar and entered. they found the tunnel that led to the boiler room with another tunnel leading out of it. Other very small rooms were attached to the tunnels, possibly for solitary confinement. It was creepy and cold spots and cool breezes were felt every once in a while. Up in one of the rooms must have been a girl's dorm, dolls and lunch boxes, books, etc. scattered over the floor, they all had very weird sensations that they were being watched. The attic of the main building is said to be the most haunted. Also reports of seeing children watching you from the windows. The whole place was vacant and abandoned at that time.

October 2004 update: this area is being renovated into housing development. Upon excavations for the new development they uncovered approximately 100 bodies, no caskets just burried in blankets. In the expanse from the street to the main building you see in the photo. They were of all ages not just children.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
It is an urban legend that tossing rice at a wedding is bad for the birds that eat it. Some people think that the birds will explode from the rice that expands in their stomachs. Funny how the birds that eat the rice in the fields don't have this problem at all.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:01 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
^^ snopes.com: Rice Bad for Birds

Old 07-23-2011, 01:18 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I was sitting in the car in Tarpon Springs, waiting for my aunt to run in some place and drop it off. I was people watching and couldn't help but notice everyone did the sign of the cross, even if they were on a bicyle, when they passed in front of this church. I then located this information:

TRADITIONS, CUSTOMS, AND BELIEFS

Greeks have an assortment of traditional customs, beliefs, and superstitions to ensure success and ward off evil and misfortune. Old beliefs persist in some communities in the United States. For example, belief in the "evil eye" is still strong and is supported by the Greek Orthodox church as a generalized concept of evil. Precautions against the evil eye ( not endorsed by the church) include wearing garlic; making the sign of the cross behind the ear of a child with dirt or soot; placing an image of an eye over the lintel; wearing the mati, a blue amulet with an eye in the center; and recitation of a ritual prayer, the ksematiasma. Greeks may also respond to a compliment with the expression ptou, ptou, to keep the evil eye from harming the person receiving the compliment. Greeks also "knock wood" to guard against misfortune, and reading one's fortunes in the patterns of coffee dregs remains popular.

Read more: Greek Americans - History, Modern era, The first greeks in america, Significant immigration waves, Settlement Greek Americans - History, Modern era, The first greeks in america, Significant immigration waves, Settlement[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal