Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Penn and Teller are pretty good psychics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Goldengrain: "There is a small community of psychics all living together in Lily Dale, NY. I have never been there. I don't know what they charge, but it might be a really interesting place to visit. In order to live there you must prove you are a psychic, but people go there for vacation. It's supposed to be located on an energy vortex. "

I'm not sure about the energy vortex thing -- I think that's a new one that some New Age person came up with...

Lily Dale is quite nice. I've gone there for decades (as I'm originally from that area). They charge very little. There are free readings at "The Stump" and they have free healings in the small church there. They have a really nice old hotel in a Victorian. Unfortunately, the New Age people are starting to come in and Lily Dale is changing now. The old timers (I mean those who are over 70), are more authentic.

Sometimes mediums will also negotiate prices with you. You do have to be cautious of whom you contact, though. Word-of-mouth is the best resource.

I know a lot about this field, so just be careful. There ARE "real" ones out there, but there are many more frauds and wannabes. That's why word-of-mouth or checking with others is good.

If you get to visit Lily Dale, it is very beautiful in the summer (of course, Western New York winters are dreadful). And they have two swans there on the lake -- one called Lily and one called Dale -- now you know about Lily Dale!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Goldengrain: "There is a small community of psychics all living together in Lily Dale, NY. I have never been there. I don't know what they charge, but it might be a really interesting place to visit. In order to live there you must prove you are a psychic, but people go there for vacation. It's supposed to be located on an energy vortex. "

I'm not sure about the energy vortex thing -- I think that's a new one that some New Age person came up with...

Lily Dale is quite nice. I've gone there for decades (as I'm originally from that area). They charge very little. There are free readings at "The Stump" and they have free healings in the small church there. They have a really nice old hotel in a Victorian. Unfortunately, the New Age people are starting to come in and Lily Dale is changing now. The old timers (I mean those who are over 70), are more authentic.

Sometimes mediums will also negotiate prices with you. You do have to be cautious of whom you contact, though. Word-of-mouth is the best resource.

I know a lot about this field, so just be careful. There ARE "real" ones out there, but there are many more frauds and wannabes. That's why word-of-mouth or checking with others is good.

If you get to visit Lily Dale, it is very beautiful in the summer (of course, Western New York winters are dreadful). And they have two swans there on the lake -- one called Lily and one called Dale -- now you know about Lily Dale!

I have always wanted to visit Lilydale!

I have some books about the subject and about the turn of the century (last one) spiritualist movement.

I'd love to visit this summer.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I watched Dr. Phil when Char Margolis (I think) and John Edward were on together. They were doing a reading on someone and Char Margolis didn't quite seem like she knew what she was talking about. She was saying she saw two relatives of the patient, one down low and one high, and seemed like she wasn't sure what that meant. John Edward jumped in and said he saw the two relatives, one was in hell and one was in heaven, and asked the person whose reading he was doing if the one in hell (I think the stepfather) had killed the one in heaven (the mother) and the person confirmed that was the case. Just seemed like Char Margolis was stumbling around, and John Edward knew exactly what he was doing.

Having said that, I don't know if I totally believe in all this. I believe it's POSSIBLE, but I don't necessarily think it's a good thing to do, and I think there are a lot of people out there who are fakes.
I agree with what you wrote. I saw that program and i have seen Char on Regis and Kathie Lee and other shows.

She not only seems unsure, she does something that I'll bet would mork for most of us on this thread.

She askes this question " Do you have a man in your life or in your past who has the letter "J" in his name?

Is there a woman in your life or family with the letter "M" in her name?"

This drives me crazy! I don't care what your background or ethnic group is, there is a good bet that you do.

Men with a "J" - John, Jacob, James. Jaques, Joseph, Jeffrey, Jerry, Jesse, Joshua, Jeremiah, Justin, Jeremy, Jorge, Julian,Judd, Jesus, Joel, Josiah, Jebediah, Joaquin, Jack, Jared, Jonathan, Jan, Jethro, Jack, Jace, Jett, Jackson,Jeremy, Jarrett, Jaime, Jean, Julles, Jordan, Jayden, Jake, Jonathan, Jasper, Jay, Jaque, Jason, Jody, Josiah, Jens, Jamel, and Jude more I am sure.

Women with the letter "M" - Mary, Marie, Maria, Marilyn, Miriam, Martha, Mara, Michaela, Melissa, Marissa, Martina, Marina, Madeline, Molly, Margarete, Magritte, Mildred, Murial, Macy, Mae, Martina, Maureen, Millicent, Melody, Melanie, Mia, Marsha, Melinda, Marcy, Marlene, Mandee, Megan, Merililee, Merry, Madreen, Mabel, Michelle, Maura, Marla, Margret,
Moriah, Mariah, Mona, Monique, Monica,Maeve,, Maxine, Molly , Mindy. Martine, Malia and more

My point? Char just calls out initials and seems very insecure.

There are good psychics, though, and most are not paid nearly as well as these famous high profile psychics.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That sounds as though Char needed more experience/training. Some psychic said that for as long as he remembered he had the departed communicating with him, but it was only later that he met someone who put him in touch with a training group and they taught him how to interpret the symbols that the deceased showed him. I think he said the symbols could be different for each medium. He said it took a lot of practice before he felt really confident that he was getting it right.

There is a small community of psychics all living together in Lily Dale, NY. I have never been there. I don't know what they charge, but it might be a really interesting place to visit. In order to live there you must prove you are a psychic, but people go there for vacation. It's supposed to be located on an energy vortex.

There is another town with a lot of psychics, Cassadaga, Fla.

Both have web pages, and I hope they charge less than the more famous names.
cassadaga is very nice but is divided into two sides---one more new ageish(with those of questionable ability) and the other,larger side with the tried and true(mostly older psychics /mediums-----i went once and she was excellent---got messages from my nonna in italian with the names only my nonna and aunts called me---very neat

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
cassadaga is very nice but is divided into two sides---one more new ageish(with those of questionable ability) and the other,larger side with the tried and true(mostly older psychics /mediums-----i went once and she was excellent---got messages from my nonna in italian with the names only my nonna and aunts called me---very neat
I have never, to the best of my memory, paid for a psychic, but I don't understand these debunkers at all.

Sure, there are some crooks - and there are probably some honest ones who are sketchy from time to time and fill in with bs. But it just seems so insulting to say ALL psychics are phony.

If each of us went to a lot of them, some would hit it on the head and some would be guessing, and even the guessing ones could be accurate half the time, which is a very good track record.

The guy I knew said he did not understand why sometimes a psychic could be accurate with a person and not with another and at other times the situation was reversed. He never did know why. He didn't take money, so never felt the pressure to bs anyone.

Thanks for talking about your trip to Cassadaga. Would you go back again? If a person wanted to take a holiday there, how long would they tend to stay? Is there anything else interesting in the neighborhood? Do the psychics give classes or lectures or services or anything? I saw some film on the place up north, but not of Cassadaga.

Hey! There are Utubes on these places!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Penn and Teller are pretty good psychics.
No they are not. Penn is actually a debunker, which is a shame, since I like him and he's a very smart guy. He is just wrong in this case. They are stage magicians, tricksters, and very good at their trade.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
No they are not. Penn is actually a debunker, which is a shame, since I like him and he's a very smart guy. He is just wrong in this case. They are stage magicians, tricksters, and very good at their trade.
It is a shame. Penn and I are both members of the same fan club. We both love the Velvet Underground and Lou Reed.

I am comforted by the fact that Mr. Reed does not share his skeptical attitudes.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Default Lily Dale

Official Site for Lily Dale Assembly | Lily Dale NY This is the link for Lily Dale.

In the summer it is quite beautiful. One can spend at least a few days there and feel so happy. They even have a swimming beach at the lake, and there are many activities and classes. I love it there.

Not far away is Buffalo, New York, and right across the bridge from Buffalo is Canada. Taking the river route, one can get to Niagara Falls, Canada, in about a half hour -- it is a beautiful route (don't take the American side, unless you want to see lots of factories along the way). And 90 miles from Buffalo is Toronto, Canada. So, within just a few hours are many things to see and do.

Lily Dale is situated in a rural area. Also near by is the Chautauqua Institution with many cultural activities:

Home - Chautauqua Institution

In the summer, it is a beautiful area to visit!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Official Site for Lily Dale Assembly | Lily Dale NY This is the link for Lily Dale.

In the summer it is quite beautiful. One can spend at least a few days there and feel so happy. They even have a swimming beach at the lake, and there are many activities and classes. I love it there.

Not far away is Buffalo, New York, and right across the bridge from Buffalo is Canada. Taking the river route, one can get to Niagara Falls, Canada, in about a half hour -- it is a beautiful route (don't take the American side, unless you want to see lots of factories along the way). And 90 miles from Buffalo is Toronto, Canada. So, within just a few hours are many things to see and do.

Lily Dale is situated in a rural area. Also near by is the Chautauqua Institution with many cultural activities:

Home - Chautauqua Institution

In the summer, it is a beautiful area to visit!
Yes. Someone told me that the American side of the falls is awful whereas the Canadian side is lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal